Discussion: Oregon Guv Says She'll Refuse To Send Troops To Southern Border If Asked

…communing with the javalenas.

2 Likes

I think Trump just gets off on having big ugly things built for him.

Such as latest estimates show that 2/3 of illegal immigrants arrive in the US legally, but overstay their visas. Or that illegal immigration is drastically decreased in recent years.

But we need to spend money on troops and walls instead of addressing the elephant in the room.

2 Likes

Oregon Guv Says She’ll Refuse To Send Troops To Southern Border If Asked

OK, but would she consider sending them to DC to besiege the White House?

3 Likes

I think a better move, one that would highlight the ridiculousness of Trump’s order, would be to refuse sending ORNG troops to the southern border, but very publicly and vocally agree to send them to the Canadian border. Hell, claim “fiscal conservatism” and “saving taxpayer monies” as the reason if you want. Make the GOP argue against it.

Excellent points. Pres Bone Spur (nor the general public) does not understand the hardships he is demanding of the NG participants. or the costs.

The Guard should be ‘reserved’ for emergency deployments, not bat-shit crazy Presidents.

1 Like

She said that troops would be deployed immediately and that they would support border patrol officers and not act in an enforcement capacity.

If they are not going to enforce , what ARE they going to do . Brew the covfefe ?

1 Like

They cannot be armed per the Posse Comitatus Act, which is a very thoughtful statute passed in anticipation of stopping the federal government from exploiting the military for policy goals. If the Guard is federalized, then they must leave their weapons home. Of course, Cadet Lardass knows nothing about any of this.

1 Like

Trump should just as his buddy and puppet master Vladimir Putin to send Russian Troops to the American/Mexican border.

Actually, it was passed to end the military occupation of the south following the civil war. It was a concession that broke the deadlock in the House and allowed Rutherford B. Hayes to become President. The act was passed in 1878.

6 Likes

But what about the caravans of white people flooding across the northern border? Are just to sit idly by and let those people flout our laws and take our jobs?

See? I’m just as smart as our stable genius in the White House.

Gov. Brown is exactly right in what she said, I hope more governors do the same and good on her for stating it now, rather than waiting for another Trump idea to fizzle out because it’s stupid or unconstitutional. Because she’s a woman and from a liberal state, Donald will of course attack her and do so in a sexist way to rile up his low-T base, but she hit first and she planted one square in his face.

2 Likes

There are sufficient exemptions that would permit at least some guardsmen to be armed, though.

That’s true, but it has been updated and amended several times since then to cover a broader swathe. And, yes, it does have flexibilities, but they are not easy to enact.

I’m sure I’ve left stuff out, but you get the idea.

I suspect that it’s gonna be hard to make enforceable agreements about the conditions of deployment, or that Donnie would honor anything once the NG is in the field.
Plausibly enough, this’ll be just like Puerto Rico: a lot of tremendous rhetoric about the conditions in the field while the deployed sleep under rock shelters and hunt iguana when their initial dispensation of rations runs out.
Not that we’ll find out about if the press doesn’t visit. Doubtless, there’ll be NDAs waiting for the deployed on arrival, or, if DT’s has figured out how do it yet, the whole operation will be declared ‘Secret.’
All very 19th century, all very much in keeping with this administration’s ambitions.

That’s true, but not easily done, especially if you have a Governor who will not cooperate.

what about the caravans of white people flooding across the northern border?

They’re going to Canada, not coming to the US.
Stopping the departure of political enemies is not part of the program, yet.

Eastern Oregon is an ecotonal area from the Cascades to the Snake River where the rabid white supremacists of northern Idaho grade into pretty reasonable people by around Bend.

It’s the kind of trolling I like to see.

1 Like

I’d be more worried about the snakes. I’ve been in the woods with black bears many times, so the piglets won’t bother me too much :slight_smile:

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available