Discussion: Obama Attacks Trumpism In Return To Campaign Trail: 'Our Democracy Is At Stake'

You’re talking about RFK of course. His brother, had he run for a second term, would have been the first ballot I cast. I’m not sure I saw it live, though I did see JFK’s assassination live.

I don’t know what it will take to get young people to look up from their phones and their social media obsession to let news from all around them sink in and then take appropriate action. We who are in the older age bracket are the ones who come to out to vote in reliable numbers, and it’s maybe because we have some degree of civic engagement, we come here to let us each other know what we know. “Duck and cover” in grade school, I remember that too.

3 Likes

You’re quoting our last sane president.

3 Likes

As soon as it started raining up far north CA, i was hoping it would be moving towards sonoma/napa - now I hope you guys don’t get mud slides. Clare - any need for hot meals or clothes for people you know? can travel down there

1 Like

Sad to say I do know people who don’t mind saying they don’t vote except in presidential elections. They fail to see all elections are connected, and so IMO when they do cast that vote once every four years, I imagine it’s pretty well uninformed.

4 Likes

Killed Roosevelt.

1 Like

You are so kind. There are already a lot of food drives and volunteer efforts going on. The response has been fast and generous. There is a lot of wealth here and they will step up in a big way with fundraisers and fat checks. The wine community is good that way. The bigger devastation is in Santa Rosa and the edge of Calistoga. Some whom I thought had lost their homes, did not, and some who’d you have thought would have been okay, were not. It is so strange what the monster chooses to eat and what the firefighters are able to fight off. We are still unpacking and getting back to normal here. The rain settled the smoke and was a huge blessing, though someone on NPR said we have more hot, dry weather coming and to remain vigilant.

Yes, the MoJo story appears to be a continuation of his work at The Nation. He mentions that he started this story while at The Nation.

The MoJo article, being more current, helps to demolish the myth that Hillz, and only Hillz, was responsible for losing WI.

I’ve been thinking we need a national conversation about voter suppression since Election 2000 (SC and FL anyone?). Maybe now we’ll have one.

1 Like

Yes. I was watching the news of election returns that night, excited to have cast my first ever vote earlier that day. Moments after he stepped away from the podium we heard shots and someone shouted, and the rest of the night I spent weeping while watching it all unfold. The fact that it was another assassination in such a short period of time just enhanced the tragedy of it all.

MLK was also murdered at around the same time as RFK. It was a strange few months.

I don’t believe we’re ever going to have a national conversation about voter suppression. It works to the R’s advantage, why would they disadvantage themselves. However, there is a case before SCOTUS about gerrymandering in WI we should be paying attention to.

2 Likes

it’s been raining 2 days up here, so hope some comes your way. I realize SF is there full of volunteers, so one beyond the redwood curtain might not be as useful. good luck C - we love sonoma/napa

1 Like

I don’t know either. It makes me sick. I like you have never not voted since I have been able to vote.

I was planning to cast my first vote when JFK ran for a second term.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available