Discussion: NV GOP Senator Announces Opposition To Senate Health Care Bill

I hope you’re right, I really do. After the House debacle, it’s hard to have faith in any R to have convictions, much less stick to them.

3 Likes

Though he doesn’t know who his Democratic opponent is

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/03/22/520409187/repeal-of-health-law-could-force-tough-decisions-for-arizona-republicans

He’s in the same boat as Heller.

@littlegirlblue

9 Likes

I think you’re right on this. The calendar is not in their favor. During recess, the Rethugs will probably face some sort of constituent ire. Then, comes the debt ceiling and I’m reasonably sure that will prove to be ugly. Then, the so-called tax reform which will morph into tax cuts.

And then, gearing up for the 2018 midterms.

@inversion Jacky Rosen has thrown her hat in the ring.

11 Likes

I must disagree.

Rand Paul is a masterful blend of con-man and Libertarian nut-job; a gift from his father no doubt.

Go back as far as you like- whether it’s Paul’s hasty, degree-less exit from college and his privileged leap to the front of the line for medical school, to the shady way ‘Dr. Paul’ evaded the professional certification of his peers- Randy has a well-established pattern of behavior that normal people find unsavory and self-serving.

Paul will play out this nonsense just long enough to make his inevitable kowtow seem somehow principled to his sycophants.

12 Likes

Fanks

I know that he n Ward have an upcoming reckoning, but i didn’t know bout that.

Again thanks

4 Likes

Something very similar happening here.

All 14 members of the California Republican congressional delegation voted to repeal the Affordable Care Act, including seven who, like Mr. Issa, represent districts that voted for Mrs. Clinton. Four of those come from districts that include Orange County.

8 Likes

“In this form, I will not support it.”

How about in the form of “accompanied by a huge, unrelated slab of pork for Nevada”?

18 Likes

They’ve promised tax cuts to their wealthy donors. This bill is Step 1. I think the Senate will need Pence to cast the deciding vote, but it will pass.

6 Likes

“In this form, I will not support it”

Meaning: throw me a bone, however small, and you have my vote

8 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, I think these people’s only real convictions are to getting reelected and/or holding higher office. That’s it. Whether it’s Heller, Gardner, Collins, Murkowski or Paul, I think they’re all making political calculations about whether they could still get elected after voting for this bill. In fact, I think that’s the only calculation. In Paul’s case, I think he’s just using his so-called beliefs as an excuse not to vote for a bill that would throw at least a half million KYians of Medicaid before he’s even up for reelection and before he’ll have a chance to run for governor.

11 Likes

I know she has Reid’s backing but I mean, she just got elected to the House. This woman is on the move.

5 Likes

I would think Murkowski would definitely want one of the no votes. It’s going to be disastrous for Alaska - contrary to Trump’s claim that Alaska is being hit hard under Obamacare:

Take, for example, premiums in the second-lowest silver plan. That’s the most popular plan on the marketplace, and one that is used as the benchmark to calculate government subsidies. This Kaiser Family Foundation analysis shows that before the tax credit, the percentage change in 2016-2017 in the average cost of premiums for a 40-year-old nonsmoker varied widely by state. In Indiana, premiums declined by 2 percent, whereas Arizona saw a 145 percent increase.

But that’s before tax credits, which, again, 80 percent of people receive in the marketplace. After tax credits, the same population saw a zero percent increase in premiums in both Indiana and Arizona, from 2016 to 2017. In Alaska, there was a 1 percent decrease in premiums for this population from 2016 to 2017.

In Alaska, 93 percent of marketplace enrollees receive tax credits, according to the Alaska Division of Insurance. So even though the average premium cost increased 203 percent from 2013 to 2017, most people on the exchanges are paying far less than they did in 2013 — that is, if they were able to buy insurance in 2013. (They might not have been able to obtain or afford health insurance because of a preexisting condition, but the ACA eliminated that restriction.)

In 2017, the 86 percent of people in the exchanges in Alaska who receive tax credits pay $93 per month, according to Kaiser Family Foundation. That’s far less than the $344 they were paying in 2013.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2017/06/23/trumps-claim-about-the-catastrophe-of-obamacare-premiums-increasing-204-percent-in-alaska/?utm_term=.91e988730274&wpisrc=nl_politics&wpmm=1

7 Likes

Their wealthy donors don’t mean shit if they can’t get reelected.

8 Likes

But Heller also said he “cannot support a piece of legislation that takes insurance away from tens of millions of Americans”, and no minor tweak of the bill is going to change that. If someone were actually holding his feet to the fire (good local media prodded by an aggressive political challenger), that would be hard to back away from.

1 Like

All of them and Murkowski.

9 Likes

He will cave, but even if he doesn’t McConnell has an ace (more like three aces) in the sleeve. Those are called Manchin, Tester and Heitkamp. Trump will call it bi-partisan .

2 Likes

Very astute, as always. When it comes to saving their seat what they do is always transparent.

I’m not sure what these three statements have been so far but they are from coal country whose miners need the protection as small as it is that is in ACA and is probably destined to be axed in the American Careless Act.

4 Likes

I think Heller is potentially in trouble even without this issue. A recent PPP poll has him at 39% against 46% for Some Random Democratic Person. (It looks like it may be Rep. Jacky Rosen.)

11 Likes

Give it a break.

What would be the incentive for ANY Dem to hop onto this rolling dumpster fire??

8 Likes

If this batch of Republican senators can’t find some democrats, and make kangaroo court convictions on them stick, Trumpy Boy will “fire” them and get some moar compliant ones.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available