Discussion: NV GOP Senator Announces Opposition To Senate Health Care Bill

They don’t even have to throw a bone. All that is necessary is a change, for better or for worse. Any change. Then he can say, “See, I made them change it.”

1 Like

Can’t just one of these Congressional assholes stand up for or against something because it’s the right fucking thing to do? I’m exhausted to the core of people like this guy or Susan Collins or any of these others who won’t take a goddamn step unless it’s towards re-election.

I’ve never really been for term limits, but I do see the appeal.

1 Like

Your premise that there exists a moderate republican. One cannot be a republican and hold a belief in a safety net for Americans. Corporate welfare does not allow social welfare programs to exist.

1 Like

It damn near looks like a person in a gorilla suit, doesn’t it?

Yep. Who knew gorillas were that agile?

I’ve seen this movie before and I know how it ends.

I agree, and think Josh is wrong; even though he says “in this form”, from the way his statement is worded it’s clear he wouldn’t support anything with the Medicaid rollback. There was no real need for him to go this far in his opposition statement, especially making it with Sandoval next to him; he could have easily made a more weaselly statement. He’s put himself into a corner, intentionally.

I’ve seen a number of reporters say that they’ve heard McConnell is going to bring the bill up for a vote next week regardless of anything, whether he knows he has the votes or not. My bet: I’m sure he wants it to pass and will do a lot of strong-arming for it, but at the same time I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he simply keeps it exactly in its current form, puts it up for a vote, and allows both the “moderates” and conservatives (Cruz, Lee, Paul) to vote against it. This whole business makes it look like he just wants it to be over with, and internally he could blame Ryan for the bill’s problems.

1 Like

Oh yea verily: “in this form”. Turtle man will make some trivial, but face-saving change for this jerk’s vote.

Well, McConnell can’t let 5 GOPers bow out of the vote. Plus he still has problems with Cruz, Lee and Paul from the right wing (and with the HFC already lining up behind them to kill it in the next House vote if they don’t “change” it…ie, make it even harsher), which is sort of the same problem Ryan had. I expect McConnell’s solution to be very similar as well…make changes to accommodate the right and dare the left flank to get out of line.

Pence’s PAC placed a 7 digit ad buy yesterday in Nevada…AGAINST Heller. That’s how McConnell plans to keep the “left” flank in line…vote for whatever we put out or we will see you primaried and your career destroyed.

A Republican selling unicorns. It’s going to be a bad winter, folks.

Precisely

Which is why Heller will change his tune, and putting faith in Collins or any other GOPer is folly. They aren’t playing softball here. They WILL go after and primary anyone who doesn’t get in line on this thing.

Except the hard right, which they will attempt to appease by making the bill even more odious.

I’ve always valued how astute your judgment is, but I hope you’re wrong about this.

I saw somewhere that the Pence ad buy was a surprise to Mitch and that he is unhappy with it.

FWIW it’s from a Politico reporter: https://twitter.com/politicoalex/status/878377173798858752

Manchin, Tester and Heitkamp.

They would be signing their own political death warrants as Democrats if they voted for any version of TrumpCare. There is literally zero incentive or reason for them to do so.

Like most westerners Nevadans like to make a big deal about being independent, and Heller could portray the Pence ad buy as an attempt by out-of-staters to interfere in Nevada politics. I guess it depends on how crazified the NV GOP is. If it’s all Bundyites, he might be fucked either way.

3 Likes

The problem with that is, if there are 50 votes for and 50 against, guess what happens next?

Has ‘something to do with’ Pence. And we’ve seen that act before.

I don’t share the skepticism of others about Heller, very specifically.

This should come as no surprise. There is literally nothing in it for Heller to vote yes, unless he wants a big check and an ambassadorship.

If that is what you want, however, you don’t say the “ACA needs fixing” and say that you favor the Medicaid Expansion.

There is a point where, just because McConnell tells Heller to stick a hot poker in his own mouth, he’s not necessarily going to do it.

I don’t care what he believes in his heart of hearts. If you assume he wants to be reelected (he’s a career politician with aspirations to run for governor), and he isn’t buying McConnell’s offers of buckets of money for his campaign, then you have to entertain the notion that he is playing this smart by taking a strong position and early on.

For what it’s worth, he has already had two town meetings, and his constituents were screaming long before the Senate monstrosity. Senators seem to to have realized how significant the divide between non-Expansion and Expansion States would be.

Let’s also remember that if this ever became law, it’s headed straight to federal court.

Here’s hoping. Yes, I’m disappointed that we didn’t win any of the recent special elections, but they were all long shots to begin with, and considering the margins the losses are no reason to despair.

1 Like

Yup. He’s going to vote for it. They all will because they are cowards.

Bait and switch, the GOP SOP. Trumpcare will pass allowing for the defection of two GOP senators, perhaps Heller and Collins or someone else, with Pence ready to cast the 51st vote to break the tie. Pay no attention to the objections of the senators who say the bill is too generous. They will all fall in line.

1 Like

Sorry, I have to have a palate cleanser, seen that photo too many times

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available