Discussion: North Carolina Guv Calls For Removal Of Confederate Statues From State Land

1 Like

City of Baltimore took them down overnight.

11 Likes

Charlottesville should rename Lee Park “Heyer Plaza”.

8 Likes

It’s like an American ‘Destalinization’ is finally starting to happen.

6 Likes

“Some people cling to the belief that the Civil War was fought over states’ rights. But history is not on their side. We cannot continue to glorify a war against the United States of America fought in the defense of slavery. These monuments should come down,” Cooper wrote …

That´s it. And the President is encouraging them to believe that bullshit. Take ´em down, and put ´em in a museum dedicated to showing the 160 years or so of rear guard actions in the defense of slavery and the continued oppression of its victims and their progeny. Have a special exhibit on Donald Trump with his picture along side that of Nathan Bedford Forrest.

5 Likes

Which in large sections of the country with local po0litical support I’m afraid may revert to “Restalinization”.

NC municipalities want them down, but the state legislature is full of retrograde bigots and will fight them tooth and nail. Still, good on Governor Cooper.

4 Likes

there are a hundred"Lee Parks" across the south, maybe they should rename ALL of them “Heyer Plaza”. Say it aloud, it makes even more sense.

3 Likes

Thanks for that. For a minute there, I was getting too sentimental.

1 Like

There’s a Jefferson Davis Highway, for Christ’s sake. I grew up near Robert E. Lee High School.

de? there’s also an argument for dropping that prefix…

1 Like

can we say “ALEC?”

No, worse. ALEC wishes these racist, misogynistic assholes could set aside their straight white rage for one minute to pass more pro-business legislation. Most of the time even Art Pope can’t keep the leash on them.

2 Likes

Austin City Council will begin process of renaming Robert E. Lee Road

“Austin will begin the process of trying to change the name of Robert E. Lee Road in South Austin, City Council members said Tuesday, after recent white supremacist demonstrations in Charlottesville, Va, that turned violent.”
http://www.statesman.com/news/local/austin-city-council-will-begin-process-renaming-robert-lee-road/c9bsekDTU9EEvoLONxDzxK/

9 Likes

Glad this is happening. We need a new American concept of national identity that demands equality and does not pander or cater to racists or traitors. The Confederacy represents both.

I can recall certain individuals screaming against the removing of monuments on the comment boards of TPM. They even compared it to the destruction of statues by ISIS. Funny how they’re all silent now.

1 Like

That Latrine is Busted

3 Likes

Won’t happen in Alabama, though. They passed a law earlier this year making it near impossible to take down Confederate statues. Local governments now have to get approval from a state commission even to rename their own parks or streets.

Yeah, I know…local government accountability is best unless the GOP says it isn’t.

2 Likes

think “tea mob”… ALEC-related instruments were instrumental in that astroturfing, in a very subtle way…

1 Like

@jep07

Yeah, and this ought to send 'em into apoplexy.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available