Discussion: Newest Tariffs On China May Spread Pain To Ordinary Households

Trump is a professional misogynist, racist and liar. That’s all Trump is.

2 Likes

am an old timey DEMOCRAT… am so disgusted with the current crop’s dumb’lets be nice’ nonsense…the bad thing about the ‘HIGH ROAD’ is that its so easy to fall off of…DEMOCRATS do have a tendency to bring a wet noodle to a slug -fest.

The 1% are gonna feel it as well. With the added pain, they will be pinched as the economy contracts.

Minor, but important correction in your Clinton rant. It actually was President George H.W. Bush’s NAFTA. Clinton just signed it, but Bush made it legal. All of this happened long before the 70’s when the gutting began and America decided to be a consumer rather than a builder of things. Sorry to fuck up your rant, but read some history before you jump in.

5 Likes

I’ve made this point at least once here. Republicans supplied all the ingredients for the NAFTA cake and baked it. Clinton merely applied the frosting they supplied…

1 Like

More than made up for by the already passed tax cuts… the proposed Capital Gains cut will be the icing on the cake… IMO they are VERY happy

Trump announces his tariffs and ordinary Americans are hurt. China responds with tariffs of their own. Ordinary Americans are hurt.

Would somebody explain just how Trump’s trade war is helping ordinary Americans.

Great recitation of the right wing talking points that have made several talking heads on hate radio rich. Sadly the rant is about as factual as anything Trump might say on a given day. While Clinton was a supporter, NAFTA was negotiated during the George H.W. Bush presidency. The gutting of the American industrial base came much earlier. The decline of the American economy was the work of a full generation of Republican business leaders who hated organized labor and knew how to get workers on the cheap. .

By the way we aren’t the first nation to adopt the financial/consumer strategy. The Netherlands tried the same thing back during the end of the 18th and beginning of the 19th centuries. It lead to prosperity for about a generation and then collapse as the world financial capital moved to London and then New York.

2 Likes

The coolest thing about this article is that it has given me great pleasure to discover that Country Joe McDonald is not only still alive and kicking, but writing for my favorite political blog website. It can’t be too long now before he really pisses off Donald Trump.

1 Like

If China retaliates for the latest U.S. duties, Trump threatened Monday to add a further $267 billion in Chinese imports to the target list. That would raise the total affected by U.S. penalties to $517 billion — covering nearly everything China sells the United States.

Would I be remiss in assuming that the sole reason for the “nearly” qualifier is that the only Chinese goods which would be exempt from the tariffs are those which are imported by Ivanka’s businesses?

Gosh, you had me going there for a while, you sly dog.

1 Like

When did China become part of North America?

Automation is what gutted the US manufacturing sector, not globalization. Some jobs moved, yes. Far more of them… just stopped existing because we no longer needed 5 people to do what 1 machine can do better, more accurately, and faster, at higher volume.

1 Like

To be fair, my Galaxy SII is 6 years old. Most of the newer phones are bigger, and I find them a little unwieldy. I might upgrade soon, though.

The United States complains Chinese industry development plans [. . .] might erode American industrial leadership.

So maybe invest some money in actual improvements in infrastructure and education, you IDIOT.

1 Like

The news is stating that Wilbur Ross just said that the American people will not realize the price increase of products as the increases are spread out over many products. Just like DHS - ICE when they separated families of people request asylum, thought the American people would not care. They don’t live in the real world, when people have a very limited resources to buy food or any other item that are increased they will notice. Trump administration. just doesn’t care about anyone but themselves and their “base”.

1 Like

Nothing to do with a GOP Congress, I guess?

The USA didn’t gut it’s industrial base, the owners of industry decided to put profit before their fellow country people.

And dude, I have worked in industry, and industrial high-tech. Rent-seeking is the rule, not the exception.

I disagree to an extent.
In recent years, automation has been a big deal.
But in the 70s and 80s? Nope.
90s? Maybe.

I grew up next town over from the “plastics capital of the world”. By 1990 they still hadn’t figured out how to fully automate injection molding. And a college student could make good money working temp over the summer.

But US companies standing up units overseas to offshore work? LOLOLMFAO. Started in the 60s and I helped IBM make my job obsolete in the early 2010s. By helping stand up automation to create accounts and access to resources and source code for new units in India and China … But, you know - no users in APAC, no need for automation . . .

Yeah. That is going to have to be physically beaten into many of them.

I’ll help!
You want to hold down, or beat?
Mind you, OSHA will probably insist we switch regularly to avoid repetitive motion injuries …

1 Like

No new taxes has become We want tariffs.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available