Discussion: New Pedestrian Bridge Collapses At Florida International University

Trump: This bridge was there during Obama years and he just did not take care of it. Very irresponsible of him.
Paul Ryan: We need tax cuts to fix this bridge.

3 Likes

NRA: The problem is that the campus is a gun-free zone. If everyone was armed that bridge wouldn’t have dared to fall.

2 Likes

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said the president was monitoring the situation and would offer whatever support was needed.

Thoughts and prayers followed by document shredding.

5 Likes

That pretty much always happens. The engineers blame the construction company, the construction company blames the engineers, and both of them blame the subcontractors who provided the cement, beams, girders, rebar etc.

I’ll have to do some research about the “accelerated bridge construction” method that was used. I’m not an engineer, but I do know that the old axiom of “Good, Fast, or Cheap - Pick Two” can be a cruel mistress.

7 Likes

Hmmmm…

Construction Firms Behind Collapsed FIU Bridge Faced Accusations of Unsafe Practices

Two of the biggest firms that built the Florida International University pedestrian bridge that collapsed today have recently been accused of unsafe practices. In one of those cases, another bridge project toppled onto workers.

Yup. And when the choice is to go with “Fast and Cheap,” watch out below.

2 Likes

If this is how he intends to upgrade the infrastructure, no thanks. I’d rather rely on the standards of the WPA.

2 Likes

Lovely. Rick Scott is on his way there. Republican incompetence kills people, but as long as the rich get their tax cuts, everything is fine.

1 Like

The 3D computer rendering model shows a tower on one side with cables (or rods) supporting the bridge attached to the tower. Photos now online show (Monday morning) that after the bridge was installed the tower was not there.
What was supposed to hold the bridge up???

2 Likes

It isn’t possible for a bridge, designed to hold masses of students walking across, or gathering at the tables, to collapse less than a week after it is placed on its supporting “posts”, unless it was very badly designed, very poorly constructed, or build with very substandard materials. I think it will be determined that the use of “self cleaning” cement, cement containing titanium oxide, is the problem. I know just enough to know that putting additives in concrete that serves a structural purpose is a very, very bad idea.

1 Like

Concrete has little tensile strength. I don’t think it was the concrete.
At the time of the collapse there was a large crane near the spot where the tower should be. Were there temporary support cables being held up by the crane?
The foundation for the tower was part of the lifted span not the support structures on either side of the road. Rebar is clearly shown sticking up at that location. There was no tower.

1 Like

I think we have 3 bridges over the Animas river in town that were built off site, moved to the river and craned into place. I watched 2 of them get set.

I don’t know the dimensions but the distance of the span seems similar.
They are strictly pedestrian and have no concrete whatsoever. They actually bounce a little when you cross them and if you try you can get them moving a bit.

1 Like

No issue with the first half of your comment, but I completely disagree with the concern that titanium oxide is the obvious thing to blame. Additives do indeed get added to structural concrete all the time for a variety of purposes. Very common practice in the industry. I’m not an expert on titanium oxide specifically, but I don’t see any documentation online stating that it has an inherent affect on concrete strength.

It’s technically possible too add too much of any additive to a batch of concrete. There’s enough quality control in the concrete industry that I wouldn’t quickly assume it’s the issue here. Numerous other aspects of construction are more prone to error.

3 Likes

@hoppy Have to agree with @ntremus that additives to the concrete aren’t likely to be willy-nilly and without some study beforehand. (I’ve got some years of experience in failure analysis in brittle materials, although on much smaller scales than here, so I know enough to be dangerous.) @thebigragu is correct that the tensile strength of concrete is quite low, so that in structures like this bridge, the concrete is maintained in compression by putting the steel reinforcements into tension. The steel components of these so-called “pre-stressed” concrete structures are what carry virtually all the loads. Looking at the available photos of the collapse it appears to me that failure likely started near the support pylon which doesn’t have a section of bridge still leaning of it (can’t tell what’s north-south-east-west here yet). This thing appears to be “simply-supported”, as the mechanics boys term it, ie, just sitting there, rather than firmly attached/part of the end supports. In this case, the maximum bending stresses are at the center of the span, and there does seem to be a fractured zone at about the mid-point (at other points too, clearly, but one of those was the first). Unfortunately the recovery effort will damage/destroy some of the key evidence of what initiated the failure. Florida’s got more than a few bridges, and presumably a handful of competent inspectors and engineers who will be able to reconstruct what happened with help from the NHTSA experts.

Obvious initial assessment: Somebody fucked up, most likely in “execution/fabrication” rather than design.

1 Like

Looks tentative to me…Sept 2017 article:

Around the time the Feds raided his home this summer, Manafort was reportedly meeting with Yan Jiehe, head of Pacific Construction Group, China’s largest, privately owned builder. The reason? Pacific was looking to buy U.S.-based construction firms, and Miami’s Munilla Construction Management was floated as an option

Noting seems to have gone forward.

1 Like

I’ll say it again — the problem is at the top.

It’s not the poor slugs like us doing our jobs. Somewhere up the chain, a “Donald Trump construction genius” decided something nutty would put a feather in his or her or their hats with the boss or the board, or save a few bucks on a budget that could be better put to use for executive lunches.

Us poor slugs have it beaten into our heads to “follow orders” from managers who have no idea of the work we do or the skills we have. That’s to justify paying us little and taxing us more.

The problem in government and business is at the top.

1 Like

These random events killing innocents who were in the wrong time and wrong place has been a topic of contemplation for a long, long time. Big best seller in the early 1930’s was Thornton Wilder’s “The Bridge At San Luis Rey”. A bridge carrying 5 persons collapses carrying them to their deaths. Common high school English reading assignment back in the day. That ws before “Catcher In The Rye” and “1984”.

2 Likes

50:

Check this:

http://psychology.illinoisstate.edu/ktschne/psy376/Hogan_Kaiser.pdf

2 Likes

More likely a subcontractor or cut-rate sourcing agent.

1 Like

When I find out I’ll post. But it won’t be for awhile.

I like to read engineering reports of failed structures - it is useful to know how things can go wrong.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available