Discussion: New Pedestrian Bridge Collapses At Florida International University

1 Like

The bridge had not even been open to the public yet. The dead were most likely in cars that were under it at the time.

Who built that thing and were regulations in place?!

8 Likes

Just heard it was some thing called an accelerated construction , what ever the hell that is… edited with defination
The bridge was constructed using an innovative approach to bridge construction – a technique meant to reduce potential risks to workers, commuters and pedestrians and prevented traffic tie-ups in the area.

Oops…

6 Likes
9 Likes

How long do you suppose it will be before some asshole on Fox or in the Whiny administration blames Obama or Hillary?

7 Likes

Surely not Rick Scott’s fault.

2 Likes

What is the likelihood that such shoddy construction is now the norm, and thus existing disintegrating infrastructure is safer to leave in place than replace?

6 Likes

You mean lack of regulation

7 Likes
2 Likes

That’s because Skeletor is never to blame for anything.

2 Likes

The main span of the bridge was installed in a few hours over the weekend, with limited disruption to traffic. The bridge was designed by Figg Bridge Engineers and built by MCM. Barnhart Crane & Rigging operated the self-propelled modular transporters that placed the bridge on its permanent supports

Article is dated March 12th. It was just put up this past weekend!! Yikes.

4 Likes

“The 950-ton span was installed on Saturday.”

So how’s that whole Infrastructure Week thingy goin’ for Trump?

12 Likes

A brand-new pedestrian bridge collapsed

Damn. It must be all that Chinese, Canadian and Mexican cement.

5 Likes

Awful and preventable.

The Multi-Employer Citation Policy and Responsible Corporate Officer rule will likely end some manager; engineer and contractor careers for this horrible mess- after they go to jail for criminal negligence.

3 Likes

Some unqualified contractor got a prime gig. Follow the money.

11 Likes

There are lot of regulations when it comes to construction standards and materials- only the Spearin Doctrine might save a contractor at this point from Civil consequences, but I doubt it.

2 Likes

Contractor is prolly good friends with Rick Scott.

2 Likes

I was a Minneapolis resident when the I-35W bridge fell. I don’t have any political snark to offer.

I hope reports of dead and injured are in error.

8 Likes

The collapse of the bridge is all the fault of Trump and of Rick Scott. Pure incompetence, and those two are the most concentrated collections of total incompetence available now to be blamed.

2 Likes

This is something that those of us who live in earthquake country fear.

7 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available