Discussion: NBC News: Longtime DNC Officials Ousted Under Chairman Perez

Having been a member of the Democratic Party and having watched some people who always seem to be against the candidates put forth by the Party, even ones who seem to be very good candidates, and knowing that some of those people were actually on the DNC, I’d guess that Perez is getting rid of some of those who just don’t ever play well with others.

But, it’s exactly what those folks always do to loudly complain that they’re being excused because they were Bernie supporters, not because they were jerks.

6 Likes

Personally, I think there are more reachable moderates that are uncomfortable with the GOP–a constituency whose party has well and truly left them–then there are reachable voters on the professionally dissatisfied wing of the left. Anybody who voted for the quisling Stein or stayed home last November because of ‘reasons’ isn’t worth the effort.

3 Likes

Good. The sooner we cut bait, the better.

1 Like

I want to assure you that my lack of faith in your liberality has less to do with your disdain of Sanders than your approval of personal attacks, and your suggestion that I commit suicide.

Still hasn’t joined the Party. Still hurt the Ossoff campaign because his ring wasn’t kissed.

4 Likes

Careful. Don’t want to cut yourself on that edge.

3 Likes

I’m glad you’re a member. I’m sorry Bernie isn’t, but continues to try and use it.

1 Like

HA! Did you hear Chuck Schumer, before the election?:
“For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania, we will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia, and you can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin.”:

That worked out, didn´t it?

1 Like

This “Brazile gave the questions to Clinton in advance” story is one of the successes of the Russian program to influence the election and disrupt democracy in the US.
– Brazile did not get questions from CNN, by all accounts, and does not seem to have obtained the actual questions asked
– The Brazile’s contributions we have seen were barely helpful at best
– Much of what we have learned about Brazile’s communications with the Clinton campaign was from emails stolen by the Russians, who had a strong interest in harming Clinton and creating enmity between Sanders supporters and Clinton supporters
– Brazile was helpful to both the Clinton and Sanders campaigns, per a senior Sanders advisor: “She was fair and square with us.”

Former Bernie Sanders aide defends DNC chairwoman Donna Brazile in leaked emails kerfuffle

Tad Devine‏
@donnabrazile reached out to me and the Bernie camp consistently during the primaries. She was fair and square with us.
6:22 AM - 12 Oct 2016 from Rhode Island, USA

The two cases that people take as evidence that Brazile gave Clinton questions in advance are pretty underwhelming.

In one case, the debate in question was in Flint, MI, a city that was still suffering from a lead poisoning disaster. The big hint from Brazile to Clinton’s campaign was:

“One of the questions directed to HRC tomorrow is from a woman with a rash,” Brazile writes in the subject line of an email to Jennifer Palmieri and John Podesta. In the body of the email, she adds: “Her family has lead poison and she will ask what, if anything, will Hillary do as president to help the ppl of Flint.

Wow, what a tip! Someone from Flint would ask how a candidate would help their city.

The article goes on to note (my bolding):

The description matches Flint resident Lee-Anne Walters, a debate questioner who had previously talked about her family’s rashes and showed her own to a photographer.

Her question was different, though. She asked if Clinton would “make it a requirement that all public water systems must remove all lead service lines throughout the entire United States.”

So, Brazile “leaked” a blindingly obvious question that wasn’t as it turned out, the real question. The actual question was a broader question that raised technical and cost issues that weren’t part of the Brazile’s hint. It also was the type of question easily handled by a politician who understands policy and the roles and capabilities of the various levels of government.

In the second case, Brazile gave a heads up not in the form of a leaked question, but in what appeared to be background information useful for answering a question in a particular topic area:

Here’s one that worries me about HRC.

DEATH PENALTY 19 states and the District of Columbia have banned the death penalty. 31 states, including Ohio, still have the death penalty. According to the National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty, since 1973, 156 people have been on death row and later set free. Since 1976, 1,414 people have been executed in the U.S. That’s 11% of Americans who were sentenced to die, but later exonerated and freed. Should Ohio and the 30 other states join the current list and abolish the death penalty?

Jennifer Palmieri replied three minutes later with:

Hi. Yes, it is one she gets asked about. Not everyone likes her answer but can share it.

Clinton, like all Presidential candidates, had a position on the death penalty. In her case, it was not popular within her own party, but she stuck with it and was accustomed to explaining her position to those who disagreed with her. During the town hall the day after the email, a questioner told Clinton that he’d been convicted of a murder, sentenced to death, and spent almost 40 years on death row before he was exonerated by the Ohio Innocence Project. He asked how she could still support the death penalty, knowing that there were innocent people who had been convicted and sentenced to death.

I think it is fair to say that the heads up from Brazile would allow Clinton to be marginally better prepared, but I think it is also fair to say that the answer Clinton gave was not shaped by what Brazile sent. She gave the same answer to the exonerated man that she had given in a Democratic debate a month earlier.

10 Likes

She did win the popular vote, Sanders still didn’t make it out of the primary. There were a lot of factors, not being sufficiently liberal was not one of them. Personally, I think the biggest controllable mistake was picking Kaine instead of Sherrod Brown. He would have done more to fulfill Schumer’s vision. Also, that was before the Presidency of Trump, when people could tell themselves he would moderate.

4 Likes

Dammit! I keep trying to convince lefties that we have to maintain a unified front, that they need to support the Dem party because first past the post voting makes 3rd parties stupid. They reply with everything you’d expect, much of it I agree with, some of it complete bullshit. I tell them to get involved in the party if they want those things to change.

So, I knew this story, rightly or wrongly, was going to be a setback, but some of the “get off my lawn” posts here are more depressing.

1 Like

There can be no unity with Bernie supporters, I would have asked that guy to leave a long time ago. The others I would have taken a look at to see if they and their supporters would integrate, clearly Perez did that and did the right thing.

4 Likes

Just want to point something out to you, that you might find relevant.

observer.com is owned and founded by some guy named Jared Kushner, who you may of heard of before.

7 Likes

Slanders recites bumper stickers. He does not have plans, does not do the work to formulate them, nor does he even delegate it well. His speech is a tale told by a useful idiot, signifying nothing. The portion of the left that circle jerks to The Nation is irrelevant. Bernie Slanders is the leader of a death cult. He is a parasite, and the thought that the relationship could be symbiotic is a dangerous delusion. What the party needs to do is promote someone with real ideas and stop flirting with nihilists.

4 Likes

Nonsense. The policy overlap between Sanders supporters and Democrats ex-Sanders supporters is very large. Both groups strongly oppose Trumpp, his actions, and nearly everything the GOP has tried to do. There should be, and must be for the country’s sake, a strong unity of purpose.

5 Likes

There can be unity with Bernie supporters, but not so much with the fire throwers that can never be pleased.

3 Likes

Neither thoughtful nor helpful.

1 Like

I am familiar with the background of the two questions. The death penalty question is the one that I was concerned about. I read the next day in the New York Times that she had given a nuanced and thoughtful response to the question. I don´t doubt that her answer was not pivotal in the election. But the fact remains that Donna Brazile was supplying questions to HRC and not Sanders. She has lost her reputation as an honest broker in the Democratic Party, and I find it incomprehensible that she is being put on the front lines in fundraising, considering the rift that exists in the party.

Bernie will never join the party, being “Independent” is part of his schtick, I get it but we need to let that horse go, it’s a non-issue and a non-starter with him and his supporters. He votes with Democrats and actively supports Democrats, that’s what we need to emphasize. Ossoff lost because of Ossoff and because that campaign became a national campaign, it had little if anything to do with Bernie and Ossoff is ripe for building up a political base on his own over the next few years that will benefit Democrats with or without Bernie or any other outside help.

5 Likes

Right or wrong,I stopped donating to or caring about the DNC after what Howard Dean/the DNC did with respect to Michigan and Florida in the 2008 nominating campaign and Convention. Minority Leader Pelosi is the only reason I still donate to the DCCC.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available