Discussion: Meet The Man Pushing SCOTUS For A Monumental Change To Voting Laws

It isn’t about the handful of those who fit into that isolated example, but the thousands in some districts and tens of thousands in other districts who are not eligible to vote because they are not citizens therefore have no right to vote. Why should the be counted?

They are not undocumented immigrants, they are ILLEGAL immigrants. Why does the left pretend they just lost their documents or they haven’t had time to get them? They don’t have them because they are here ILLEGALLY!

"I think most Americans including myself favor it,” Blum said. Problem is, it’s not what you favor, Blum, it’s what the law says that’s supposed to occur here.

1 Like

Personally, I see nothing wrong with counting only registered voters. If you are eligible to vote but don’t register that’s your own fault. As long as there is no funny business going on to disenfranchise people it would be fair.
It has never made sense to me why total population should be counted in redistricting or for purpose of the electoral college to decide the president.
The electoral college has outlived its usefulness as far as I’m concerned. The real reason it existed is because the founders themselves were wealthy and educated & a lot of the population back then were not that well educated. Plus only landowners could vote, which, of course, was unfair. Plus there was the problem of transportation and communication in general. The president should be elected by popular vote alone.
This redistricting idea is the same thing. You are counting the total population including children. Children are already represented by their parents’ vote.
Further, maybe if only registered voters were counted maybe all those Democrats who don’t vote would finally get off their duff and make the effort to vote. I do not get why a lot of Democrats only vote during a presidential election.

This means no one under 18 can be counted for representation purposes either, since they can’t vote, even though they are subject to the same tax laws as everyone else. Taxation without representation!

1 Like

These bottom feeders are all as ugly as homemade sin! Not a one can claim to leave the paperbag at home. Rotten to the core!

I agree that the Electoral College has long since outlived its usefulness. The problem is that it effectively benefits which ever party ends up winning. I think the attempts to tinker with it are going to finally push to get it abolished, though.

With regards to total population in a county versus registered voters, that isn’t necessarily going to increase voting because being registered does not necessarily equate to actual voting.

As to why many Democrats don’t vote except in Presidential elections- I can offer some thoughts with regards to that. Part of it has to do with hype- Presidential elections are all over the place. Plus, the DNC and their cohorts has tended to make far more of an effort to get people voting during Presidential elections than during off elections. But I think the biggest factor is the sense of powerlessness that comes with voting in the House elections. Not long ago, a profile was done of the House districts serving Austin, TX. It was noted that Austin doesn’t have any representatives. In order to make absolutely certain that Austin couldn’t elect Democrats to Congress, the TX legislature crafted districts which are so convoluted and long that they practically stretch across the state in order to make absolutely certain that a Republican got elected. Why bother voting when it’s nearly impossible to vote out the Republican you’ve basically been assigned?

The problem with this case isn’t so much that it is going to change the ways in which people are represented. The problem is that, if the Supreme Court sides with this guy, states will be allowed to decide their own criteria and can then disenfranchise whomever they want. SCOTUS should have passed on this suit. Now, I just want a Democrat to have the gumption to sue over the districting noting that the US Constitution has never been amended with regards to the maximum size of a district and that the US Constitution states that there is a Right to Vote- that it says it three times, in fact.

Right, so if we lived in a hypothetical fantasy world it might be fair, however problem is they are actually trying to implement this in reality along side all their typical disenfranchisement funny business.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available