Discussion: McConnell Convenes Hours-Long Strategy Session To Prepare For Kavanaugh Battle

Interesting.

1 Like

You’d think mcconnell would have learned that shoving through unqualified people with a dirty past doesn’t always benefit the party.
Hey GOP - isn’t there some squeaky clean mysogynist who loves money but doesn’t cheat and lie for you to put forward? I know they’re out there.

4 Likes

It helps to think how the other side thinks, to make their arguments and figure out what YOU would do, if you were them.

The original strategy for Kavanaugh’s confirmation was to hold all the Republicans and pick up a few Democrats, like Manchin, McCaskill and Donnelly.

Ford provides plenty of cover for all the Ds to vote no. So now there is no margin for losing even one Republican.

Now (arithmetic is a superpower), technically Kavanaugh could lose one Republican, making it 50-50 (assuming all the Ds vote no, along with the two nominal independents), and Pence would break the tie to confirm Kavanaugh.

But I doubt it’d ever been just ONE Republican to vote no, and I doubt Pence wants to be in that position. These folks talk to each other, yanno.

Yet it’s not grabbing at straws so much as it is trying to twist arms: McConnell (much less Trump) has no real leverage over Flake and Corker – and if Kavanaugh loses one, he probably loses the other, and then he likely loses Collins, Murkowski – and possibly Ernst.

The dam breaks.

5 Likes

I agree. The optics of an educated, white woman testifying about rape will be too much of a spectacle for Mitch to take a chance on. He will find a way to kick Kavanaugh under the bus. He will of course blame the Democrats.

3 Likes

Strategy Arm-twisting, black-mailing session.

Fixed.

3 Likes

The R senators have some potential cover from both directions by deciding to abstain. I suppose this would require the hearing to go forward. Then they can walk the tightrope of saying they don’t necessarily believe or disbelieve either witness, but they cannot in good conscience vote “yes” with these allegations out there so they will bravely sit on their hands and not vote. That might save them from their base in that they didn’t vote no, and save them from the wrath of women voters in that they didn’t vote yes. Or, they might just look like a bunch of cowards.

1 Like

Trump needs a squeaky clean mysogynist who loves money and also says the president is a king. There was only one such candidate in the bunch.

3 Likes

after the election I told my husband “now we know how many ‘queen bees’ grew up and never changed”

1 Like

The trouble with that, is McConnell has to get Trump to do it.

He won’t.

For one thing, the President is a coward. Notice how he never actually fires people face to face?

For another, he’s personally sensitive to this kind of charge. So he will feel that it reflects on him. Cuz it does.

Finally, Trump won’t want to blame a Republican capitulation on Democrats, cuz that would mean Ds won – and he lost.

Trump is going to blame the loss on Republicans who wouldn’t fight – so he didn’t lose, personally.

4 Likes

It is utterly shocking that any senator, even McConnell, would look at the facts and never once decide that a person of Kavenaugh’s character and obvious issues is simply unfit for the office. To be so craven and indecent, and find a whole caucus agreeing with you is horrifying!

What about Republican Sen. Deb Fischer from Nebraska? Does she not have an issue with a man who assaults women? Vile, awful people!

5 Likes

Yes, they aren’t resigning to go into the sunset; they are resigning to save their political careers. (Not Sasse; he’s proving pretty worthless).

8 Likes

I will be thrilled if this plays out as you say, but what do you suppose the odds are if Kavanaugh goes down that they install someone during the lame duck?

I think that if they lose the Senate, they pick number two on the list and ramrod him (because it’ll have to be another Heritage Club white guy) right in.

1 Like

Very few weeks in a lame duck session. I would think the Dems would be able to institute a few delays to stop it.

8 Likes

You’re much too kind to Mitch. I want to see him in prison and Ryan, too, and Nunes, and Kushner, and…well, you get the idea.

5 Likes

A million likes for this. I couldn’t agree more … I’d love to see him get what he deserves - a special place in hell.

2 Likes

He needs to withdraw so they can effectively take both sides if they need to. Either yes or no will make some constituency that they need mad. Mitch does not care about that in the slightest. Seating Kavanaugh, although not his first choice, seals his legacy. Anyone thinking about the country here? Anyone?

4 Likes

Amen! Is there anyone finah!?

1 Like

The specter of Orin Hatch and Ted Cruz grilling Dr. Ford makes my stomach churn. And when Grassley is up, pass me the bottle of Pepto Bismol. The Republican side is all white males and the optics are terrible.

3 Likes

Not quite, I think. I’m not even talking about women shifting allegiances (though that, too). I’m talking about an entire graduating high school and freshman class–thousands upon thousands of women–voting for the first time. For example. There are others.

Please proceed turtle. It will only help the possible wave turn into a tsunami. His complete and utter disregard for what is best for or wanted by the majority of the country has pervaded his entire reign as Senatorial leader. Everything has been done under cover of darkness or underhanded rule bending. History is not going to look kindly upon this man who should have been checking the president instead of turning a blind eye so he could ram through unqualified judges.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available