Discussion: McConnell Convenes Hours-Long Strategy Session To Prepare For Kavanaugh Battle

You should be a speech writer. :wink:

1 Like

Nice. a) sheā€™s a liar b) it doesnā€™t MATTER if sheā€™s lying because heā€™s ā€˜our guyā€™ and if heā€™s a predator so be it. Howā€™s that olā€™ ethics, values and morals working out for you GOP?

5 Likes

This has been implied, but just to say it out loud: The Flakes, Corkers, Sasses etc. who see the big picture know if they vote for Kavanaugh and heā€™s seated, they will never be president. Theyā€™ve been posturing to that end for two years, and the wrong vote makes it all go poof.

13 Likes

I donā€™t know why hours long strategy sessions are required for a group of folks that may listen but not act on what theyā€™re being told.

Maybe itā€™s coming up with a list of questions for her, similar to the ā€˜how long have you been beating your wife?ā€™ line with intent of doing nothing but discrediting her.

These guys have a long history of this, so why do they need hours long strategy sessions? All for show, to demonstrate how seriously they are considering her? I wouldnā€™t take them seriously. Not at all.

If only we could count on that - thereā€™re still an awful lot of women out there who vote against their own best interests and see nothing wrong with what K has done. It was a youthful indiscretion, if it happened at all, they reason (or are told to think by their menfolk). I still bet that women will go more strongly Republican in the midterms than we are expecting. Some things just never change.

3 Likes

Shh.

Sadly, just BECAUSE she is an actress, many would discredit her.

I donā€™t agree with it, but Iā€™m still seeing a lot of social media idiots out there who insist that those in the acting profession have no place in the political media stream and wish they would just act and otherwise shut up.

I like Julia. Iā€™m just hoping that her stepping up and even testifying on Fordā€™s behalf wonā€™t do more harm than good.

1 Like

Politicizing the supreme court is not exactly what was intended by our forefathers. He is a hypocrite and a thief who stole Obamas Supreme Court choice. I am not surprised that blatantly they do such a thing not realizing itā€™s going to be there downfall you will be cursed for the rest of your life for your actions you lowlife hypocrite. Mitch McConnell is an American and a traitor to Oh theater to oppose the constitution he should be stripped of his title and thrown in jail for treason. You are beneath the elf you took you are a liar and you were a cheat and you are a thief and you are trying to change our government to benefit your party line politics you were a low life.

2 Likes

Great comment, and likely to be how it shakes out.

ā€œThe die is castā€ā€”because if you have two of them, theyā€™re called dice.

5 Likes

As a Kentuckian, I can tell you that this is spot on:

My underlying assumption is that if push were to come to shove, Mitch prefers staying as majority leader with a 4-4 court to being a minority leader with a 5-4 court.

Age is catching up with the SOB and he will want to remain Majority Leader through 2020, when I believe he will retire. Watching that evil bastard for so many years I can tell you he is losing his edge, his mental elasticity is calcifying. Heā€™d love to have both - remain Maj Leader and conservative wing nut on SCOTUS - but even he doesnā€™t like Kavanaugh.

Itā€™s really a no win for him. I agree that Kavanaugh will not make it through but I also think Mitch trying to ram through some other nominee on the fast track isnā€™t going to play well either after this debacle. Time is running out and I hope the Dems can hold on.

There is nothing in this world I would love more at this moment in time than to see Karma finally give Mitch his due and he loses the battle on SCOTUS and his Majority Leader position and be made absolutely irrelevant, powerless and kicked to the curb his last 2 years in office. He more than deserves it and it would be reaping what he has sown.

14 Likes

Oh, they will, for sure.

Theyā€™re just planning who will tell which lie and to whom.

6 Likes

He meant the dye markers you throw in the water while bobbing in a lifeboat, hoping to be rescued.

5 Likes

KEEP IT OPEN UNTIL the midterms. A RED wave is COMING so i donā€™t need to vote. TRUMP SAID SO!!

7 Likes

No, he didnā€™t. But good try!

3 Likes

They had a strategy session because politics ā€“ particularly legislative politics ā€“ is a team sport. It benefits from discipline and communication ā€“ calling signals and plays.

That doesnā€™t mean that individuals wonā€™t go their own way, even tackle their own quarterback. When Phil Gramm was a Representative, he was a Democrat who literally attended strategy sessions on defending against Reaganā€™s budget cuts, then went to work with Reagan to defeat his own team. (It was only after the D leadership cut him off that he resigned, joined the Rs, and won a Senate race.)

McConnell was certainly told by his Republican flock that Fordā€™s story is a potential career killer. He cannot remain Republican leader ā€“ much less majority leader ā€“ if he disregards that kind of warning.

So heā€™s trying to get his flock to follow a basic option play ā€“ backing Kavanaugh right up to the moment they stop. If Kavanaugh loses even ONE Republican on the confirmation vote, heā€™s done ā€“ and they know it. This canā€™t be a tie.

The strategic questions are:

1. Ford is credible.

2. Thereā€™s another witness.

3. Judge says it wasnā€™t Kavanaugh.

6 Likes

And Iā€™m the first one to say the only poll that counts is the actual vote, but Iā€™m hearing that Flake is already leaning toward the wrong side of the fence. Depending on how this hearing goes on Monday, it may already be over.

I think you and I agree then that the GOP is grasping at the few straws that are left?

6 Likes

Amen to that.

2 Likes

Youā€™re confused about the audience.

Relatively few people are much engaged in a 5th vote on the Supremes ā€“ and their minds are pretty much all made up.

A very LARGE percentage of folks have a vague idea that thereā€™s something going on, and it has words theyā€™ve heard about. (Barry Goldwater loved to tell a story about how he knew he was going to lose in a landslide in 1964 ā€“ he met a little old lady, and asked for her vote. ā€œNo ā€“ I heard youā€™re going to take away my TV.ā€ Puzzled, Goldwater said ā€“ ā€œuh, no maā€™am. Iā€™m going to sell off the TVA, though.ā€ She snapped: ā€œIā€™m not taking any chances with you, young man!ā€)

The vague impression most low-information folks have about Kavanaugh right now is that heā€™s that conservative white bread guy up for the Court, with some sort of old high school scandal charge, which they are waiting to decide what they think about it.

Julie Louis-Dreyfuss can NAIL that down ā€“ sheā€™s far more popular and well-known than anybody involved in this mess, and she can speak from CONVICTION.

I donā€™t know her, canā€™t speak for her ā€“ but Iā€™d bet money every word I drafted is accurate. She really did have a lot of the same teachers as Ford, and some of Dreyfussā€™ high school friends had little sisters who were at Holton Arms with Ford.

But I donā€™t think she should testify. She has no personal knowledge of the incident.

What she COULD do, is a youtube video (or better yet, a one-shot TV ad that goes viral) where she says her piece.

Which is what I humbly suggested, and drafted as a fā€™r instance.

4 Likes

You mean Flake is leaning towards the CORRECT side of the fence I.e., a no vote?

3 Likes

Probably spending a lot of time on what not to say.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available