Discussion: McConnell Convenes Hours-Long Strategy Session To Prepare For Kavanaugh Battle

Only if you haven’t been paying attention to how Republicans operate…

4 Likes

Go nuclear again to change the rules so that SCOTUS confirmation only needs 40 votes ?

2 Likes

Lawyers in every state have to pass some sort of moral eligibility requirement. The first question they must ask themselves even before applying is:

Is there anything in my past or present that might bring my character and fitness into question?

Kavanaugh saw fit to see through an attempted rape and failed to disclose it. At this point, he should be considering removing his name from consideration and possibly retiring from the legal profession altogether. He stands to do monstrous damage to the profession and respect for rule of law, i.e. exactly what Trump has always wanted. Indeed, Trump could not have gotten as good an outcome if he had appointed Michael Cohen to the Supreme Court.

6 Likes

As a by the way - if Kamala Harris was going somewhere with her questioning, is she still sitting on something, anything, or was she posturing/rattling his cage? Seems like a hanging chad out there.

7 Likes

Alea iacta est.

1 Like

In case:

"You know me as an actress. But this is real.

I went to Holton Arms, the same school as Christine Blasey Ford, who has accused Bret Kavanaugh of a sexual assault when they were in high school. She was 15.

She was a few years ahead of me. We had several of the same teachers; some of her classmates were the little sisters of my friends.

I believe her. I don’t believe the privileged football player who bragged about how much he could drink. I don’t believe his best friend, who’s written books about being a homophobic, racist blackout drunk in high school.

Crissy came forward, risking her reputation and peace of mind out of civic duty, to keep that man off the Supreme Court. The rest of us have a civic duty, too.

Watch this one. Then vote."

14 Likes

Joe Barton is still in Congress after being caught sending photo’s of his teeny-weeny to his girlfriend. However, he plans to retire in Jan 2019!
Care to guess what party he belongs to?

4 Likes

Yup. I can hear her voice doing this. She’d be so effective!

2 Likes

And here I thought I was being at least a LITTLE bit facetious…

4 Likes

We should not be second-guessing the CA Senators at this point. They are doing a good job dragging this fight out, scoring hits each round and making Grassley look confused.

KAVANAUGH: Well … I’m not remembering, but if you have something you want to …
HARRIS: Are you certain you’ve not had a conversation with anyone at that law firm?
KAVANAUGH: Kasowitz, Benson …
HARRIS: Kasowitz, Benson and Torres, which is the law firm founded by Marc Kasowitz, who is President Trump’s personal lawyer.

No prosecutor worth his salt asks a question he doesn’t already know the answer to.

6 Likes

Eeeeeeew! Just…eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew! :dizzy_face:

1 Like

Or rather, that committee approval is all that is required!

1 Like

khyber, you have been the one voice keeping me sane lo these many months. I trust your judgement and your steadying influence. Still, I keep asking myself… will they burn it all down to get their man into the SC? And then I tell myself (at least to feel better), no, these are Republicans. They are all about themselves. The greater “good” is for wussies and Democrats.

5 Likes

Mitch doesn’t have the votes in the Senate presently to get Kavanaugh on the court. On top of that, I do think Mitch understands how Kavanaugh translates to polling.

12 Likes

I am having a better day already.

5 Likes

Strategy session? I just assumed that Kavanaugh and his GOP backers would just lie, cheat, and distract.

4 Likes

7 Likes

A stroke sounds perfect. Make that a massive stroke.

2 Likes

I think (and hope!) that this analysis is spot-on.

5 Likes

Be nice if his wife showed some interest of the right kind. Even if some women haven’t had quite the experience of Ford, I know as a man, that most if not all have probably had some harassment from a man some time in their life. Either sexual or chauvinistic.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available