Discussion: McConnell Convenes Hours-Long Strategy Session To Prepare For Kavanaugh Battle

The specter of Orin Hatch and Ted Cruz grilling Dr. Ford makes my stomach churn. And when Grassley is up, pass me the bottle of Pepto Bismol. The Republican side is all white males and the optics are terrible.

3 Likes

Not quite, I think. I’m not even talking about women shifting allegiances (though that, too). I’m talking about an entire graduating high school and freshman class–thousands upon thousands of women–voting for the first time. For example. There are others.

Please proceed turtle. It will only help the possible wave turn into a tsunami. His complete and utter disregard for what is best for or wanted by the majority of the country has pervaded his entire reign as Senatorial leader. Everything has been done under cover of darkness or underhanded rule bending. History is not going to look kindly upon this man who should have been checking the president instead of turning a blind eye so he could ram through unqualified judges.

1 Like

Do you get a sense the Republicans are somewhat hamstrung themselves by not fully knowing their own candidate and the extent of what other problems might be lurking or are they mostly fully informed and prepared to defend (and have just managed to keep most of the potential problems out of sight)?

1 Like

I remember when Jesus said,

“Convene an hours-long strategy session, and the hours-long strategy session will set you free”

2 Likes

She’s a former prosecutor with an impressive track record. She has something.

Can’t they cut Kavenaugh loose and put in another before the midterms? Or even after the midterms in the lame duck period. What keeps them from installing a toxic judge after the midterms? Being wretched humans never stopped them in the past.

we had this interchange a week or so ago - I’m worried clock is ticking and she hasn’t made her move.

I’m hoping you are correct.

1 Like

I take your point. But I don’t think Senate Judiciary Dems have mishandled the timetable.

I think DiFi played her hand brilliantly; hoping KH is a good poker player as well.

The description was less a strategery session than a rah-rah-rah whip session.

@leftcoaster: Alberta Rafael won’t get to question Professor Ford, because he isn’t on the Judiciary Committee. Would that I could say the same about Stormin’ Orin Hatch.

NB: I have a doctorate, and I’m an emeritus professor. I’ve always preferred being called Professor to Doctor, because I know which one I had to work harder to receive.

2 Likes

That’s Typical. It’s going to take a half a room filled with Republican LIARS most of a week to sort out which LIES they want to tell to shame someone trying to tell the truth. “Fine” people like Senator Oral Hatch, who without having heard a word of evidence, has already decided (in all his Senatorial “wisdom”) that someone is “mixed up.”
I watched Anita Hill go thru hell years ago when some of these same stale, pale, and male old mummies tried to quash the truth to get another Nudnik into a black robe for the rest of his sorry life.
Get ready to witness another bilious “proceeding” that will go down right beside the shameful way Anita Hill was treated.
Why?
Do you really think that the men who did it the first time have learned anything at all in the over quarter of a century that they have managed to cling to power since Clarence Thomas came shambling along with his “coke can?”
People like Oral Hatch and The Turdle are not Human, I think they are closer to Skeksis, and they will do or say anything to keep their grip on power until they too simply crumble away, and take the truth with them.

If the republicans lose the senate it will be very hard for them to push anyone through in the lame duck. While the midterms are looking good for the Democrats, everybody seems to agree that it will take an epic wave to take the senate. That type of electoral repudiation would make it hard for them to push anyone through, especially after the voters have spoken. You know, just like McConnell wanted the voters to have a say when Garland was nominated.

I can see his agenda now for insuring he gets all the votes he needs:

threats
bribery
coercion
intimidation
extortion
assault
murder?

2 Likes

Mitch convenes an hours long strategy to preserve his stranglehold on power.

Yes, wrong side of the fence with respect to his party affiliation.

Yeah but they’re not Republicans.

I had a biology instructor in college who said he was living proof that anyone who had enough time and money could get a PhD.

BTW, he had a doctorate in chemistry and was teaching biology as an instructor in a community college in a town overloaded with degree holders.

1 Like

There are three things required to get a PhD. They are:

1. Intelligence
  2. Diligence
  3. An ability to tolerate petty bullshit

You have to be intelligent enough to master the knowledge in your chosen field, and understand how to use it. You have to be diligent enough to stick to the task when things get rough (and they will get rough). Finally, you have to be able to tolerate petty bullshit, because PhDs are awarded by universities; universities are filled with people who delight in dealing out petty bullshit.

The balance between 1, 2, 3 varies from student to student, but there is no doubt in my mind that there minimum levels of each required but the minimums aren’t going to get you through. If you’re really, really intelligent and have a handle on the field you could probably slide by on the minima for diligence and bullshit tolerance. A really diligent student (the sort who finds a way) doesn’t have to be whip-smart but better be able to tolerate a lot of bullshit.

Contrary to popular belief, people can (and do) flunk out of doctoral programs. Be wary of people who flunked out of one program and went to do a doctorate in another discipline. They tend to be the high-in-diligence type who for some reason want to be called Doctor.

1 Like

The pettiness is mind-boggling at times.

BTW my instructor was joking, mostly. I think he was just frustrated that in this town a Ph.D guarantees nothing.

ETA wrong thread.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available