Discussion: Key Republican Moderate Holds Out On Obamacare Replacement Bill

Come over from the dark side, moderate Republicans, the water’s drinkable and the air is breathable over here, and your sense of self-loathing may finally disappear.

2 Likes

Just called Upton and left a msg thanking him even though he’s not my Rep. My rep’s office (Jenkins a supposed moderate) won’t say anything on the bill. Wouldn’t say anything last time. Her aides just stonewall with she hasn’t seen the bill yet, she’s waiting for the details of the bill, blah blah blah. She got away with it last time as the bill was never put to a vote. She’ll get away with it this time for same reason possibly. And she’s never listed in whip counts–maybe cuz she always votes party line. But seems important to thank all the moderates who aren’t caving. May call them all on Monday if I can figure out which ones are firm nos.

1 Like

Neither the far-right nor the moderate wing of the GOP can agree on a bill that can get enough votes to pass, yet they keep trying - and failing. Is anyone else tired of all this winning?

1 Like

Face flop #2 for Trumpty Dumpty.
But this time he drags Pence down with him and throws 30 or so key allies off the tower.
What a maroon!

Trump’s feeling confident. The rally will be a big, big, very big success, because of all the many, many wonderful things Trump has accomplished in his first days.
Look what Lou Dobbs writes!

Agreed! Can you be a Republican and believe in universal health care? Can you be a Republican and believe in Voter Right? Can you be a Republican and reject trickle down economics? The list goes on. I thought the world long ago, let the label of “moderate” drop into the waste bin.

I guess you could say Lou is right…but “unmatched” is a pretty loose term.

2 Likes

Someone so insecure as to be so easily flattered is a very dangerous leader. He (Trump) can’t even see that LouDobbs is using Trump to promote LouDobbs.

2 Likes

Welcome to the republican world of “Trickle Down Health Care!”

1 Like

Question:
Which of these two has a higher approval rating, Obamacare or Trump?

2 Likes

I think Mr. Upton is hearing foot steps. He’s had the same weak opponent in the last 2 cycles. A stronger opponent with better messaging can beat this guy. Kalamazoo County is Blue but surrounding rural areas are of course Red. One of his great fears is being primaried so he begins early with TV ads before the Dems even settle on a candidate.

If Democrats can find a good candidate who can get an early start they could win this district. The whole state government of Michigan is up for grabs in 2018 after 8 years of an increasingly unpopular Governor Snyder; who constitutes a headwind for Upton.

1 Like

Allow me to be skeptical of this guy.

“The issue is potential higher costs to those with pre-existing
illnesses,” Upton told Bloomberg. “They’re trying to say that they still
maintain access with continuous coverage but the question is what
happens on the costs side of the thing.”

Some things are sure bets. Insurance companies in health care will do anything they can to not pay out. And GOPers are more than willing to help them in that regard. Witness the move for higher premiums for people like me who have dealt with cancer. That is, to me, a truly evil thought pattern. What’s the whole point of getting the government into health care? To control the cost of insurance (and tax breaks for the wealthy …I know I know).

God bless Obama for his efforts.

I don’t trust anyone from the GOP. I’ll listen to what they say but it’s what they do that is the acid test.
edit
Here is a brief history of the creation of medicare. Note that it was democrats pushing it and republicans dragging their feet. Yet oddly it was the heritage Foundation where the ideas that became Obamacare started.

I too called my rep’s office and told them that if he voted for this bill, I expected that all the sick people in his district who would no longer be able to pay for their care due to this bill were going to land on his doorstep asking HIM to pick up the check. I don’t think this is hyperbole, either. I really do think sick and desperate constituents ARE going to go to their congressional office asking for help, and that’s the last thing a congressperson wants to see.

2 Likes

My Freedom Caucus Congressman had his office call me yesterday to say he was not supporting the replacement bill…first call back ever. (I had called Thursday on this specific concern…oh and his down low Russian meeting that I read about.)

So is he not supporting it because it’s a money grab for the rich that will throw millions out of real insurance, or is he not supporting it because it’s still not heartless enough?

1 Like

Didn’t ask. I think I scared him with a Russian meet question…

A “moderate Republican” is an oxymoron these days. If McConnell or Ryan is your leader, and you are affiliated with the GOP, you are not a moderate unless only when compared with the Freedom Caucus. Pitiful Party of dopes.

You’ve been faked out. This guy cannot have a soul and remain a Republican.

I really never hear anybody (else) say that, but I think you’re right. Marshall Raygun really started the long downhill slide (with a few aberrations like BHO) from actual statesmanship – even a crook like Nixon took the office seriously – to the crap we’ve got now.

Its time for the GOP to declare their Repeal Obamacare campaign DEAD!

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available