Discussion: Kentucky Lawyer Pleads Guilty In Massive Disability Scheme

Entitled to those things because his millions of dollars proved that he was a cut above ordinary people, a product of conservative meritocracy, the kind of person best qualified to lecture the masses on Christian values and how to run government.

Degeneracy is conservatism by another name.

18 Likes

He dispatched crews of “Conn Hotties” to events and had a 19-foot replica of the Lincoln Memorial erected in the parking lot of his office.

Nice.

6 Likes

This is a big win. When people complain that Social Security is rife with fraud, this fellow (and many of the claimants he represented) was the poster child.
https://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/19/mr-disability/?_r=0
And wrapping himself in the flag and Lincoln really added insult to injury. Though possibly less so than many of his clients, who say they were stunned to find out that there was gambling going on – er, fraud. I firmly suspect that many of them were fully complicit.

This type of fraud threatens SocSecy for all, since it is served up as the example of how “Social Security is bankrupting the country while recipients laugh all the way to the bank.” Everything should be disgorged and appropriate punishment meted out for all who participated in the fraud.

9 Likes

Does he have any connections with Mitch McConnell?

11 Likes

Wonder who he voted for on November 8.

I have a hunch it wasn’t Hillary.

17 Likes

And the folks who got false SSI benefits… voted for trump because they didn’t like folks getting Obamacare. Throw them all in jail.

14 Likes

Will any trump supporter, or ‘conservative’ see any irony in this case? Don’t bet on it. Throw him, and his clients, in jail.

7 Likes

“I’ve got to get these people money quick,” Pillersdorf said. “I’ve got 800 people going without, and it’s a real humanitarian crisis. His guilty plea should expedite that process.”

As part of the fallout from Conn’s downfall, the Social Security Administration identified about 1,500 beneficiaries, mostly in eastern Kentucky, who could receive hearings to determine if their benefits should be reinstated, he said. The agency decided not to cut off those payments during that process after Republican U.S. Rep. Hal Rogers interceded.

Now, those hearings are nearly complete, and so far about 800 have lost their benefits, Pillersdorf said.

800 folks that shouldn’t have gotten benefits in the first place. Hmmmm… I am sure there is an appeals process you can use. Or try the republican method of finding your inner bootstrap. They say it works for single mothers and infants.

9 Likes

Folks, this is where all the BLUE state tax revenue goes, to all the RED state free-loaders and scammers.

12 Likes

“Disability” has been “Universal Basic Income” in Kentucky, Kansas and other poor (often red) states for decades. There are no jobs, and SSI has become what people do for money.

And with all their free time, the rail against the government and fume on Breitbart in fits of self-delusion and so people don’t catch on that they derive all sustenance by sucking on Auntie Sam’s teat.

This Conn guy was only able to run this scam to this level because the numbers were plausible in his area.

15 Likes

They were interviewing a chiropractor in Wichita on MSNBC this morning. Sent a reporter to do a story on the repeal FAIL and visited a free clinic where many people get care. It probably wouldn’t have been able to remain open if the ACHA had passed, so they wanted to interview people about that. The Executive Director said they were overwhelmed by the number of people they saw each day.

I only watched for a few, but the chiropractor said he couldn’t afford health care on the exchanges and didn’t qualify for Medicaid, so he went to the free clinic, too.

He must not be a very successful chiropractor. The ones we know about are doing pretty well financially.

4 Likes

This scam has been the conservative electorate’s jobs program. Not just KY, WV, IN, OH, PA MI, the south - then they get to call themselves “self employed” while they do whatever menial job they can get all while calling the rest of us “takers.”

And they wonder why we now hate fly over country.
Everyone who got a check should now have to pay it back.

9 Likes

And they should be made to pay the money back.

5 Likes

Oh, I wouldn’t be too sure. After all, a guy who makes his living defrauding the gov and the American people of Social Security and disability money has some reason not to vote for the party that would really like to get rid of the social safely net in toto.

Hell no - round them up and make them do the jobs the deported Mexicans did.
Someone has to pick my lettuce. And they all need to lose some weight and some attitude.
Time for a real jobs program for these Trumpanzees.

6 Likes

That’s right. I know a lawyer who helps companies fight union labor and ALWAYS votes democratic.

1 Like

[quote=“austin_dave, post:12, topic:53542”]
There are no jobs, and SSI has become what people do for money.
[/quote] emphasis added

While I don’t condone fraud, I do have some sympathy for desperate people.

My soon to be nephew-in-law is the sweetest guy you ever met, and he and my niece were dyed-in-the-wool HRC supporters.

But he makes his (handsome) living in a San Fran law firm working for big corporations in labor disputes.

Yeah, but people vote for a candidate for a myriad of reasons, and are able to overlook a lot of stuff they disagree with if there’s some other quality that they find appealing. I don’t think that the 53% of the white women, for example, who voted for Trump really were endorsing the wholesale grabbing of female genitalia by men.

Even if Trump took it that way :wink:

2 Likes

The old saying about blood and stone comes to mind.

3 Likes

I don’t even begrudge them the money, really. I don’t like it when they mindlessly vote for Trump and his ilk tho, and try to punish minorities and immigrants for being minorities and immigrants.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available