Discussion: Kelly 'Stunned' That Dem Rep. Criticized Trump's Call To Soldier's Widow

Great article. Thanks for the link.

1 Like

From the Lexicon Of Phrases One Should Never Use In The Vicinity Of Donald Trump

It should be a requirement, but in many areas it isn’t.

OTOH, one of the best officers I know has just a high school education (he also listens to Rush and thinks Trump can do no wrong, but that’s another conversation).

And maybe Kelly is really a magic unicorn who’ll shit enough gold to pay off the national debt. Seriously, what the fuck does Kelly have to do to get people over this fantasy that he is there to act as some sort of check on Trump. He isn’t. He is there because he is a Trump loving piece of fascist filth who wants to help Trump advance his toxic agenda.

Sorry General, it doesn’t work that way. You can play the trumpet for the band who thinks men and women sign up for military bondage to “bravely” serve their country. We’ve all heard this tune before. And the DOD gets to send the willing fodder into the fight as part of the hundreds of thousands to Vietnam, Irag, Afghanistan and the next war-torn black hole. The real mission being hidden behind that famous cloak of “freedom” that the military brass always want to wave. The reality is that war is an economic bonanza and trade show for the industries manufacturing the implements of war. And it’s deeply embedded in the US economic system. It’s banal and self-serving to refer to the human sacrifice here as something “sacred” or that those involved in military pursuit are somehow more honorable than civilian activity. But even so, for the life choice that someone makes it’s darkly insensitive to suggest to a grieving spouse or parent that their child signed up with the intention of cutting in line at the funeral parlor—that’s Trump’s bad, disrespectful joke. You’re the coach in this terrible course, your student is too stupid to speak clearly—so write to down next time and have him read it or send the letter.

Definitely. And it appears definitive now that he was wrong about the details of a secondary attack against Wilson, though we didn’t include the original attack in this wire.

But I think the larger discomfort is with the almost sermon-like quality of Kelly’s remarks. He employed the moral weight of fallen soldiers to deliver what I think Josh accurately called a paean to the “America First” doctrine: the honor of women, the dignity of life and religion, and, mostly, the inherent sacredness of those with ties to the military. Scary stuff.

3 Likes

I don’t remember where I heard at least two years of college (maybe that’s particular to NYC?). But when I did hear, I thought, oh, I guess that’s why he had to go into the military first.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available