Discussion: Kelly 'Stunned' That Dem Rep. Criticized Trump's Call To Soldier's Widow

This. 1,000 X this.

1 Like

too much information

2 Likes

Much like Colin Powell before him, Kelly perceives himself as being the good soldier. These mercenary bastards forget that their ultimate loyalty must lie with the country and the Constitution, NOT the President

2 Likes

That’s our very own Pat Bagley from The Salt Lake Tribune. So proud. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

This is wildly OT but I just had to share because I laughed so:

6 Likes

Absolutely! The words that would have been poignant to a soldier wouldn’t necessarily (and obviously didn’t, in this case) come across that way to a young, pregnant widow with two small children. Both Kelly and Trump were tone deaf in this matter, and neither of them is man enough to admit that and move forward.

3 Likes

Kelly is a disgrace.
Relevant:

4 Likes

Guess you don’t understand why it hurts.

The least Trump could have done was have enough smarts to make sure he wa not reaching the family as they went to pick up the body and the grace to at least use the man’s name.

EDTA: Whatis your explanation for Trump’s denial that he said what Kelly told him to say?

2 Likes

Ha
I will never forget my days as a nurse’s aid on an Alzheimer’s unit while in college. C-diff
wow
“it has it’s own smell” is what you’re told in training, and then you happily go on your merry way to do the feedings, changing diapers, giving showers, and all that jazz until one day
one day
your life is changed forever. It will challenge even those who think they have a tough stomach and iron resistance to the gag reflex.

3 Likes

This is a FB post by someone named Bob Lamb. I have no idea who he is or whether it’s factual. See what you think:

While everyone is so busy talking about Trump’s handling of his call to the widow of the soldier killed in Niger, you’re all missing the important part of that story – the part about what happened that night in Niger.

The story that is emerging is so much worse than anything that happened in Benghazi, but the same GOP Congress that investigated Benghazi with a fury seems to have little or no interest in this story.

Here’s what we know so far:
These soldiers went to a meeting in an area near the border with Mali. This is a well known hot spot for ISIS activity.

Our soldiers were not backed up by US Military air support. No, they were backed up by the French, who were not authorized to intervene or even fire a shot.

Our soldiers did not have armored vehicles. They traveled in pickup trucks.

Our soldiers were given faulty intel that said “it was unlikely that they would meet any hostile forces.” Of course, they walked into an ISIS ambush. It was chaotic and they took three casualties.

It took the French 30 minutes to arrive. When they did, they were not authorized to help. So, a dozen of our Green Berets fought a battle with more than 50 ISIS fighters, without help, for 30 minutes.

Finally, a rescue helicopter arrived, but it was not a US military helicopter. No, we apparently outsourced that job to “private contractors.” So, these contractors landed and loaded the remaining troops, the injured and the dead.

Here’s where this gets really bad 

Because they were not military, they never did a head count. That is how Sgt. La David Johnson was left behind.

That’s right 
 they left him behind.

According to the Pentagon, his locator beacon was activated on the battlefield, which indicates that he was alive when they left him there.

They recovered his body 48 hours later, but are refusing to say where. According to his widow, she was told that she could not have an open casket funeral. This indicates that he was mutilated after being left behind on the battlefield.

This is what led to the nonsense we’re obsessing over. This is the real story. As usual, you’re allowing it to be about Trump’s distraction, but this is Benghazi on steroids.

The Trump Pentagon gave these men bad intel, no support, outsourced rescue people and then tried for more than a week to pretend it never happened.

In that time, Trump spoke on many occasions and never mentioned it. He tweeted attacks on many but never mentioned these men.

Only after pressure from the media has he bothered to even acknowledge these men and their service

Please share, copy and paste.
#Niger #Benghazi #Outrage #Veterans #DonaldTrump #Pentagon

6 Likes

O my god. I got goose flesh over when I read that. O. My. God.

It sounds like a total clusterfuck. Total.

2 Likes

The dark side. I was trying to pin down why Kelly’s emotional words actually seemed somewhat menacing to me. This puts into words exactly what I couldn’t quite put my finger on. There is a dark side to him, and to his use of the word “honor”.

6 Likes

That would explain so very very much.

"“next to of course god america i
love you land of the pilgrims’ and so forth oh
say can you see by the dawn’s early my
country ’tis of centuries come and go
and are no more what of it we should worry
in every language even deafanddumb
thy sons acclaim your glorious name by gorry
by jingo by gee by gosh by gum
why talk of beauty what could be more beaut-
iful than these heroic happy dead
who rushed like lions to the roaring slaughter
they did not stop to think they died instead
then shall the voice of liberty be mute?”

He spoke. And drank rapidly a glass of water"
-cummings

5 Likes

Not going to believe or spread rumors until there’s a reliable cite. Really. This had better NOT be true. It reads like conjecture to me.

2 Likes

Here’s the problem John, Trump lied about the very words you advised him to give. Maybe he wasn’t great a delivering your message and that is understandable.

His words were grass and offensive to a grieving widow, family and friends. I was under the impression that it was the service soldier in the widow and family that had the phone and that it was he who set the phone to on speaker Do not blame the Congress woman for speaking out, we’re glad she did. Why did it take Trump two weeks to call the widow? And why wouldn’t he deliver the written message that was created for him right after the deaths of the soldiers?

The Congress women was not ease-dropping on the conversation between the President and La’david’s widow. And why did has per party affiliation mentioned? Again here we go with the Republicans thinking they have a corner on our troops, religion and democracy. What a crap shoot.

With all do respect sir, we want to know what happened to our soldiers and we’re tired of people, like yourself taking the fall for this incompetent president. He can’t even deliver a message to a fallen soldiers widow in a timely manner or in a respectful way and then he lies. If there is anyone who needs a lecture on etiquette and our troops it’s YHOUR president. We have lost our patience with Presidents sending our children to fight wars that they themselves lie to avoid, either by entitlement or some half baked physical problem. So tread lightly sir when addressing the mothers and daughters of such. We do not take kindly to being slammed for speaking our minds. We won’t shut-up and we won’t sit-down, we will speak-up just like the Congress WOMEN did.

Thank you for your service and my condolences to you for the loss of your son.

We will ask questions and we will shout it from the mountain tops, because we love our troops and want to know why they’ve died? It just not matter of knowing what they’re getting into when they join to serve our country and put their loves on the line. We expect our President and those who ask them to do their jobs, that it was for a good cause and in a safe manner. Their lives are very precious and they are not to taken for granted.

2 Likes

I think we have to go back to a draft. I was disturbed the chief of staff would only take questions from those in the room who knew a gold star family. Many people have experienced deep loss. In fact we all lose we love. Parents losing children, wives losing husbands, husbands losing wives, brothers and sisters losing brothers and sisters and children losing parents.

Our military feels forgotten and alone and they feel this for good reason. But I will not give up my right to an opinion about what is going on in my own country because I have not served. As far as his remembrance of what used to be sacred, look down the hallway to the man you serve. He has earned every bit of skepticism he now faces.

4 Likes

The right thing to do, the honorable way forward is to apologize to the family. They are the ones who decide if the call was insensitive and/or disrespectful. Not Gen. Kelly. Not trump.
Today General Kelly lost all his Stars and Stripes to become another trump sycophant. He himself shows no respect for Sgt La David Johnson’s family. Everything trump touches dies. General Kelly is the latest casualty.

5 Likes

Why the hell did he even call her when she was enroute for the arrival of her husband’s body? Someone should have called ahead on timing first. Second, of course it is on speaker in the car with everyone there. Third, if the congresswoman had not said anything, would we have known about Trump’s meandering incapability of making an empathetic presidential call? And fourth, Trump screwed this whole thing up from the start at the Rose Garden because of his big mouth and trying to hide what happened in Niger and thanks to McCain for demanding Trump reveal what happened
And the last punch in the gut to the family is first saying they lied and today, Kelly confirms that the Moron said it–true to his sorry, lying nature. This whole debacle has made one thing clear to me–the people who sacrifice for our country are truly heroes.

3 Likes

OMG Obama is on fire! get to cspan now incredible!!!

5 Likes

I don’t know what to make of Kelly. I think whoever said he fell on the grenade for Trump is close to the truth. I also wonder if he has changed, like people said about Gen. Flynn: “not the man I used to know”. This may be because of the massive black hole gravity around Trump that warps everyone who comes close. Or makes ‘dignity wraiths’ of everyone like Josh says. I wonder too about the underlying racism in Kelly. I lived for a number of years in the very square in Boston where he grew up. I knew many Irish and Irish/Americans who were essentially racists. How is this playing into Kelly’s willingness to counter attack against the congress woman?

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available