Discussion: Kelly 'Stunned' That Dem Rep. Criticized Trump's Call To Soldier's Widow

Bears repeating as often as necessary: you’ll notice that behind all the hyper-patriotism and smoke-blowing and the shameless, cold-blooded exploitation of dead heroes at Arlington, this dreadful man doesn’t deny that what Representative Wilson said was accurate.

He just brandishes the blood of the dead to decorate his claim that she had no right to say it.

12 Likes

Also, this kills the GOP talking point which I have heard forever, which is that ER’s are a perfectly fine substitute for having insurance.

7 Likes

“Women were sacred and looked upon with great honor”

Kelly, you hypocritical willfully blind bastard. Look at the President you are offering cover for. Trump has NEVER looked on women with honor.

All Kelly’s outrage is hollow bunk for a president that couldn’t be bothered to to respectfully ready himself to have a conversation with a grieving widow.

I believe he is incapable of empathy, but he god damn well can fake it by having a staff member prepare a script for the call. But he is too damaged and prideful to do that.

11 Likes

Hadn’t thought of it that way. Trump’s a virus and they’re all infected…none of them make sense any more…

2 Likes

But they sure are playing to Trump’s base. And that is all they seem to care about.
I can’t believe the articles and comments over at FauxNews.
(The N word and racism is a common theme)

3 Likes

" I am going to leave aside Kelly’s motives."

I’m not. I’m done with this fucking clown. He’s a fucking scumbag and just proved it, and as far as I’m concerned it’s because he went as batshit crazy as the rest of the white nationalists when he, of all people, suddenly had a CiC who was black. WHO HE HAD TO OBEY. The horror.

Fuck him. He’s a liar and dishonest and his entire press conference was a fucking snowjob misinformation festival. As far as I’m concerned, he’s a propagandists and wants a military state to get done what he believes needs doing, and he views Trump as the messiah to deliver it. The whole thing was theater of the absurd, ignoring that Wilson was INVITED to listen to the phone call, did so on speakerphone, was backed up and corroborated by the mother and widow. He just engaged in one of the most glorious acts of credibility defenstration we’re likely to see in our lifetimes and I hope to fucking god this blows up even worse on them. Another old, sorry white man trying desperately DESPERATELY to stay relevant, debasing himself to keep his position of power and influence in a world that has had it up to fucking HERE with their bullshit.

It’s the same…old song…

15 Likes

Sounds like the cover isn’t working. He’s fired.

2 Likes

Kelly said he saw Wilson’s listening into to Trump’s call with Myeshia Johnson as part of a pattern in the degradation of certain “sacred” parts of American life

General Kelly - it appears that you are unfamiliar with fundamentals of modern communication in automobiles - probably because you have staff members to attend to your every need - Well often when driving in a car, people - like the widow in this case - have their phones on speaker phone - so they can hear it - and so, if they are the one driving, can focus on the road (plus in many states that is the law)

Look - your boss F’ed up by being inarticulate and hugely insensitive - and then made it monumentally worse by being an asshole about it -

we have had 45 Presidents in this country’s history - and after this crap hit the fan - guaranteed 44 of them would have taken a few moments, called the widow and expressed sympathy and apologized for any appearance of callousness - … made clear that the heartfelt thoughts that were meant to come across were simply intended to express the country’s indebtedness to each fallen soldier - acknowledge that their courage is incalculable - that their bravery knows no equal - these valiant individual fully understand the risks - but they are willing, for all of us, to stare danger in the face and act on behalf of the nation. Yes, in a sense, they “know what they sign up for” - but it is so so much more than that … and they are unflinching in their fulfillment of their duties - and above all, we want you to know that, we as a nation recognize that you as a family have suffered a tragic loss and we wish to express this and our unending support to you, with the greatest sincerity .

See General Kelly - Is that so freaking hard? You of all people should know that when a soldier has been lost, it really is best to take a knee - bow your head and honor the lost life - and that applies to the Commander in Chief - and all of this ego noise for the President is classless He needs to just STFU especially since - it is only a few solemn moments for high ranking officials- and they move on - and it is a lifetime of loss for the families.

10 Likes

I was stunned by John Kelly’s remark about the congresswoman.

Is there something Trump has on him for him to make this statement or is he absolutely blinded by duty to this cretin in the White House? Why shouldn’t Rep. Wilson have listened? She personally knew this soldier and supported him in the past.

Oh, I know. Her sin was making Trump’s disgraceful comment public, so she must pay for that.

Sickening. At least he didn’t criticize Obama for not calling. A small silver lining in a very large thundercloud.

10 Likes

But he knew trump would use the information as a weapon. No illusions that this guy is there for love of country – he is fully 100% owned by trump.

7 Likes

I take that as the well-known (what I’d call) “Josh Factor” which I control for when reading his pieces. He does pretty much the same when talking about Comey. He’s a keen observer nonetheless and far more often than not gets the core part right, so I tend to give him some slack when I see the Josh Factor strikes.

3 Likes

I agree with you, but let us not stop at Sessions. There is an illegitimate Supreme Court Justice to impeach also.

5 Likes

Josh’s been kind & trying to shield happy-go-lucky, progressives bomb-thrower, like moi!

…& again, :heart: :heart: your take. Lest we forget, Kelly’s using Trumpanzee-Mugabe to indirectly disdain & throw shade at Obama. Pathetic!

2 Likes

I have lost all respect for Kelly

6 Likes

There is a zip code not far from where Trump grew up in Queens NY that had the highest casualty rate of any other during the Vietnam War. The soldiers who were killed came from a variety to backgrounds from white, black to immigrants. Mostly working and middle class. From the Bunkers to the brothers.
If Trump and his family were sentient human beings they would have some understanding of who has served.

2 Likes

The death of a soldier is a sacred thing. Which is why your boy shitting all over the families of the fallen is so absolutely disgusting. I`d say something like, you should be ashamed of yourself but HAHAHAHA!

2 Likes

I’ve said it on multiple threads: Kelly has no honor. Whatever integrity he earned by service to the country he gave up by joining and apologizing for this administration.

Fuck John Kelly.

6 Likes

Great questions. In 20/20 hindsight, Kelly’s failure was two-fold:

1. failing to get Trump to do some kind of reasonably sane and empathetic public acknowledgment of the sacrifice made by these soldiers soon after it happened, and
  2. failing to get Trump to do some kind of reasonably sane and empathetic private acknowledgment to the families, preferably one that doesn’t involve Trump having to speak off the cuff - either a letter or a short, tightly scripted phone call. Trump is so obviously bad at showing normal human emotions that I understand why the White House delayed so long.
3 Likes

Hey there, I guess age and its lower quotient of piss and vinegar has it’s advantages.

I despise Trump, but his comments to the widow are understandable as and excusable as anyone’s tongue-tied stutter could be. Before I heard Kelly’s story, I had imagined Trump was trying to say something like “He was brave and committed enough to volunteer when he knew the dangers, but I understand it still hurts.”

No one who is weighing in on this comes out very well. Politicizing any of this is beyond wrong. We have fine Americans who do, yes, know what they’re getting into, and out of patriotism and a sense of service, get into it anyway. We have well-meaning but misguided people who support policies which will inevitably will sacrifice those fine Americans, many unjustly. We have ill-meaning greedy war profiteers who sacrifice those Americans without a human thought. We have fine military leaders who still possess less-than-complete understanding of their own motives and the consequences of their actions.

What we shouldn’t have are leaders who deliberately take on their special expertise and experiences as some kind of mantle of superiority. No one knows everything, and the loss of humility is especially dangerous in those who wield great influence and powers.

2 Likes

As I said yesterday, guys like Kelly and McMaster sell a piece of their dignity in order to stick around to keep Trump from his worst instincts. They think they’re buying time to manage Trump. It’s a fool’s errand. They will not stop Trump from attacking NK, Iran or using nukes. They will enable him. What Kelly, McMaster and Mattis are doing is subverting the constitutional process. We are a nation in crisis. They need to resign and demand that the Congress and the American people act to remove Trump. But in Kelly I see a guy who is more of a true believer in Trump’s culture war. He’s just not insane about it. What he did today was to attempt to turn the criticism of Trump into an attack on military service with a racial angle because he was willing to smear the Congresswoman as it would play well on Fox. Her response was perfect and called Kelly out on his b.s. What I think Kelly was really doing was to keep people from challenging this aspect of the Presidency because, in his view, it threatens chaos in the chain of command…the same chain of command that Kelly, McMaster and Mattis violate every day when they ignore Trump’s crazy orders and have usurped control of the military. To remove this cancer from our lives, it needs to be exposed. We need to use the Constitution. Resign and demand that the Congress and the people act.

10 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available