Discussion: Judge Denies Manafort Request To Suppress Storage Unit Evidence

Manafort’s legal representation is letting him down. If only Rudy had the bandwidth to step in and help.

10 Likes

That was not just a denial, it was a slap. Expect to see the issue raised on appeal anyway.

7 Likes

Raised in good faith? I am not sure about that. The defense arguments were lousy to begin with and some of them even appear to have been abandoned (in hearings before the judge).

(Not to say I like everything the judge relied on — many, many defendants have had their rights violated, especially when the police acted in bad faith when procuring a warrant — but there’s no sign of that here; and there’s no doubt she made the right decision here.)

8 Likes

That’s going well: Manafor’s got a choice between going to jail for the rest of his life or the probability of getting a polonium pellet in his leg. Or, maybe, he just gets a shiv while in jail.

Not a promising future for Mr. Manafort.

9 Likes

We’ve really relied upon the judicial system lately for any semblance of a working democracy. Another big reminder of just how very important it is we each take the time to to familiarize ourselves with the candidates and initiatives on each ballot – that means every two years. These fairly sensible judicial rulings are happening for two reasons: Mueller’s crack team and whichever POTUS nominated these judges for the bench (along with a sane and considerate Congress).

To all you young readers/voters out there reading this, thank you for being here. TPM is a wonderful resource for contemporary political news and some in-depth stories. Stay curious. Stay informed. Vote every two years and during each special election. Just imagine if we were blessed with a system stocked full of center-left judges – wow, what a different world we’d be living in. Well, it can happen if we each do our part. Thank you.

31 Likes

The defense team then unfurled a large WHATEVER YOU DO, DON’T READ THE INCRIMINATING STUFF IN THE STORAGE UNIT banner, much to the shock of onlookers.

10 Likes

If Manafort were a baseball player, he would be in the low minors with this many swings and misses.

Of course, he kinda is, being in jail and all…

6 Likes

Here ya go:

6 Likes

Like Cohen, Manafort was what I would call an operator. And for all the time and experience, I am still amazed at how poorly they performed in removing and erasing potential evidence. The amount of documents left behind is staggering.

11 Likes

Assuming that Manafort keeps fighting this to the bitter end (which he really doesn’t have much reason to avoid) I would expect lawyers on the appeal to do the same kind of throw-everything-at-the-wall approach as in pre-trial. I could be wrong, of course, but I’ve come to the conclusion that the money is essentially meaningless to him at this point. He’s not going to be able to spend it where he’s going, it’s not enough to clear him with his creditors, and it’s unlikely to reach his heirs.

7 Likes

He’s banking on a pardon, which I’d say he’s likely to get.

4 Likes

:laughing:

3 Likes

He might as well be a member of the audience at this point.

2 Likes

Swear to G-d I’ll plotz if – on the day he’s sentenced to prison – Hillary tweets: “Womp Womp!”

22 Likes

At least Paul could share his dismay at the ruling with his new friends at Northern Neck Regional Jail.

At least he isn’t home by himself under house arrest. That could be depressing.

6 Likes

Yes, although it can backfire.

2 Likes

Actually, I think he’s in solitary confinement.

(This is according to John Dowd, so … caveat lector.)

1 Like

or Hillary: “Who’s Locked Up now?!??”

12 Likes

I knew he was in the VIP unit. Didn’t realize he was the only VIP.

But, I guess that’s kind of an honor?

Or maybe that stands for Very Indictable Person or Veracity Impaired Person.

7 Likes

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available