Discussion: Jeb On ‘Work Longer Hours’ Comment: I Meant People Need To Work Full Time

I think so. And that is when the GOP goes to a brokered convention. Because JEB will never prove himself to be the natural frontrunner for the party. Maybe back in 2000 he would have walked off with it. Not now.

Someone’s in the kitchen with JEBbie
Someone’s in the kitchen I know, oh, oh, oh.
Someone’s in the kitchen with JEBbie
Whispering in his old earhole.

Slip, slide, wiggle the eye oh
Slip, slide, wiggle the eye, oh, oh, oh, oh.
Slip, slide, wiggle the eye oh
Talkin’ out his old pie hole…

4 Likes

Jeb gives off the distinct impression of a spoiled rich kid surrounded by sycophants who is used to spouting off whatever is at the top of his head, whether or not it makes sense. He must have thought this would be easy, especially after W made such a steaming pile of it.

Surprise!

8 Likes

Not buying it, Jeb! His original statement was that “people need to work longer hours.” The plain implication of that statement is that somehow people are choosing not to work enough hours. Otherwise he would have said something to the effect of “American businesses need to allow their workers to work more hours.” The fact of the matter is he is completely out of touch with folks who work for an hourly wage. Most are not choosing to work fewer hours. Rather, businesses typically refuse to give them full time hours in order to avoid payment of benefits and/or overtime pay.

So when it comes down to it this is typical Republican trickle down bullshit speak: give businesses the opportunity to screw over their workers and then when they do, and the wealth doesn’t trickle down, blame the workers for it.

Fuck off, Jeb!

6 Likes

His new logo is almost perfect. It just needs a question mark (at the end) to do the trick:

Jeb!?

10 Likes

Only because it is easier to implement than forced-labor camps for all non-corporate, non-farmer recipients of government aid.

The camps will probably require 1 more GOP appointment to the Supreme Court.

1 Like

Yep, this is both bullsh*t and dogwhistle. “People” don’t need to be doing any of these things, because none of what he’s talking about is under individual control. The “job creators” need to be creating more full-time jobs and paying people more to do them. Wording it so that it’s all about what ordinary people are doing wrong is a “you’re my base” shoutout to the big donors.

And the real tell is that the same crap could have been worded in a faux-populist way is Jeb had wanted to. He could have blathered about getting government out of the way of the job creators so they could put more people to work, and it would have been just as dishonest but sounded more as if he cared about regular folks. Instead, he just had to claim that everybody but his pals needs to step up their game. (Which they do, but in a very different way.)

5 Likes

Politics is far too controlled for this to be a simple mistake.

He floated a trial balloon and it got shot down by withering amounts of anti-aircraft fire.

4 Likes

Maybe congress should work full time…

7 Likes

I can’t believe this guy was always billed as the smarter Bush. Quite frankly, Jeb! seems to be more than a little touched in the head.

3 Likes

I know this is an old hack joke, but I am stating this in all seriousness. Jeb! is proving himself to be dimmer and less politically deft than his brother.

Also, I don’t get a sense from him that he really wants to be president. Don’t you get this overriding sense of obligation from the guy? Like, he’s doing it because he’s honoring some shitty promise that he has to grind out before he can get back to his life. Honestly, I won’t be surprised if the happiest we’ll see the guy will be on his drop out speech in a few months. I bet he’ll drop some balloons and pop some corks.

5 Likes

Someone really needs to show Jeb the list of conservative business owners who CUT their employee’s hours right after the ACA went into effect-- Well…because said employers care so much about their “servants” healthcare –

7 Likes

This guy is a complete wreck.

3 Likes

Like Father like Son:

1 Like

I am forming the theory that what Jeb is actually aiming at is Obamacare’s use of 30 hrs/week as the definition of full-time for the purposes of the legislation. The GOP has named this as one of the big flaws in Obamacare. Now that they have quietly given up on repealing ACA, it might be safe to talk about changes he would ask Congress to make.

Reinforcing that theory is this from the article:

Bush said because factors like rising healthcare costs have made it harder for small businesses to create jobs, giving employees the chance to work more hours “has got to be part of the answer.”

If my theory is correct, then what Jeb is proposing is a benefits reduction in camouflage, and I can place a second loop of anchor chain around his neck.

10 Likes

I think a lot of that was bluster. The conservative business owners were already keeping employee hours too low for full benefits.

1 Like

I think the “he is the smarter one” really means he isn’t as mallable as his brother, but either way its a very low bar of comparison. He seems to possess the same innate ability for mangling the English language.

There may be something to do with that. I suspect he probably made some promises back in 2012 when everyone was begging him to enter the race…but it was still too soon after W. (I think it will always be too soon after W, but that’s another discussion).

What does seem to be happening, however, is this is shaping up into exactly the sort of thing that he was dreading. An extremely crowded race (like historically unprecedented crowded!) with a lot of people who will have the same financial staying power that he will. JEB wanted to be the consensus candidate with just a few crazies beneath him that he could ignore while trying to appear above all the petty bickering. That notion is out the window, but he seems quite slow in accepting the reality of what the race is really going to be.

7 Likes

“people need to work longer hours”

One of many lines that the Dems can put to good use…

3 Likes

You are assuming that JEB has more self control than Palin. Current evidence is that this may not be true.

2 Likes

dailysignal.com/2013//25/obamacare-continues-to-cut-workers-hours/

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available