Discussion: Huckabee To Confederate Flag Question: 'It's Not An Issue' (VIDEO)

SOOEY!! Unfortunately, Huck doesn’t realize he isn’t REALLY a presidential candidate, so he could answer. Hell, he’s commented on so many other issues, this q+a was an opportunity to be a mensh, but Huck just doesn’t have it in his pandering soul . . . despite his being a rev! Just don’t know of what stripe (maybe yellow?).

Yes, the GOP is the party of racism.

1 Like

The key reason a candidate should weigh in is that the display of the Confederate flag is an act of treason. It is tantamount to displaying the flag of a foreign country. Worse, it is a foreign country which attempted to secede from the U.S. for primarily racist reasons. It is also a moral issue as the President should be acting on behalf of all the people. Flying the flag it is an act of abuse and should be condemned by anyone asking to be the President of this country. Huckabee is a coward and a power hungry hypocrite who doesn’t mind trampling on the sensitivities of those people who are rightly offended by this symbol of hate and division.

3 Likes

Actually, its not a crescent moon…which would be way too Muslim-y for the people of South Carolina. Its a gorget and supposedly evolved from a flag that was flown by a unit in the Revolutionary War. The unit in question (SC 2nd Regiment under Moultrie) was famous for seizing an island from the British for a few hours before the banner was shot down by British ships and the British ultimately routed the entire regiment. (Vaguely familiar to Fort Sumter…something about SC and losing defenses of islands)

Ironically, the gorget in question was actually a piece more often worn by British officers (Cornwallis sported one, for example.Yeah, the guy who occupied and was the scourge of SC).

2 Likes

Moral Reprobate Cornpone Huck channels his inner beloved Southern Heritage:
Damn those Yankees comin’ hereh an tellin’ us how to treat our coloreds and sturin’ up trubble. Damn those Yankees.

1 Like

The “heritage” argument is manifestly bogus. South Carolina spent 5 years in the CSA. They were a British colony for 150 years, so if they insist on flying a foreign flag that represents their heritage, the Union Jack is a better choice. Or put a pecan pie on a pole and let people climb up and enjoy. Now that’s Southern heritage I could support.

1 Like

Today is June 22nd, 2015.

That part will be relevant, next year.

2 Likes

I don’t personally display it anywhere, so it’s not an issue for me,” Huckabee repeated. "That’s an issue for the people of South Carolina. Do you display it? I doubt it. Does anyone on your panel display it? I doubt it. For us, it’s not an issue.

And with that, investigators start their search.

Latent homosexual.

1 Like

“I don’t personally display it anywhere, so it’s not an issue for me,” Huckabee repeated. “That’s an issue for the people of South Carolina. Do you display it? I doubt it. Does anyone on your panel display it? I doubt it. For us, it’s not an issue.”

The issue at hand doesn’t have to do with personal choice, so Huckabee’s response here is a red herring–and, I see now, a shift away from states’-rights rhetoric to make the matter a personal or local one It does have to do, though, with speech sanctioned by the state, one of 50 of which Hucakbee hopes to become the President. One would hope that the individual states and their laws–in both letter and spirit–embody the high ideals we have set for ourselves at the national level. As other commenters here have pointed out, though, the Confederate flag became a state-adopted symbol of resistance to federal civil rights laws. It seems to me that this would be an issue for any citizen, let alone someone who wants to hold an office in which he would be representing the interests of all citizens.

1 Like

Yes, Arkansas famously refutes the right of outsiders to interfere in what they consider purely internal matters. Gov. Orval Faubus said screw SCOTUS, Arkansas schools were staying segregated. Ike took control of the Arkansas National Guard, sent in the 101st Airborne and disabused Arkansas of the notion they were a nation unto themselves, free to pursue whatever idiocies they desired. A visit from the 101st Airborne to Charleston might be what the doctor ordered.

1 Like

In a sane world, any politician running for President would not even consider support for flying the flag of a failed rebellion against the very country you are running to be the leader. I mean, just try and follow that logic…" I support the attempt made 150 years ago to overthrow Federal law and the Constitution…so vote for me now so I can swear to uphold that very same Constitution"

3 Likes

Relatedly: Huckster when full gun nut protect yourself in church with your packed heat.
Take a moment to comprehend the appalling moral depravity of this position:
A Caucasian male from a state of Confederate Treason is telling Americans- and in this instance Black Americans in their church- that the final destination of our struggle Freedom, Justice and Domestic Tranquility is to go to church with a gun cloaked in fear to protect yourself there- in a church!- from attack by a racist cornpone bigot. This is your America, Huckster? Huckster, you are a shrieking fucking moral depravity.

3 Likes

True, but most of the GOP candidates ARE running to represent the nation they want to lead. It’s just that nation is the CSA, and leading it means milking it for PAC money, TV gigs, speaking tours, book sales, radio shows, etc. They don’t have realistic aspirations of becoming President of the United States. Being defacto President of the CSA is a better paying gig anyway.

2 Likes

A minimum wage worker today could not afford the full cost of food, clothing, shelter and medical care, that traitor state legislatures once mandated their slave owners to provide. This is in no way meant as a compliment to the traitor state legislatures.

If slave ownership were legal today, it would be an exclusive privilege of the 1%.

1 Like

This fetid bag of puss bloviated at length about Beyonce and about reality tevee baby farmers, yet it is somehow unbecoming for him and other presidential candidates to be asked their opinion about a state continuing to use a symbol that is front and center in the history of the country he wants to lead and that many Americans find hateful and incendiary??

2 Likes

Except, they aren’t softball questions. Those cadidates know exactly who butters their bread and you know its the folks who are happy to see the stars and bars flying over the freaking statehouse. And they vote!

As an Atheist, it’s tempting to believe in the concept of Hell when I hear “demons” like Huckabee peddling his rancid right wing jive talk. Clearly, he has no fear of eternal damnation judging from his non-stop prevaricating, and moral depravity.

1 Like

(Shudders – almost violently for a second) Oh, dog!! – Please NOT!!

Chuck n’ Huck conspiring to make DavidGregory good.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available