Discussion: How The Senate GOP Got The Votes To Overhaul The Tax Code And Strike A Blow To Obamacare

It’s like a naughty and nice list to Santa, each R gets a promise that they’ll get what they specifically have asked for, in Murkowski’s case, for example, drill, baby, drill.

8 Likes

Because reform.

Well, this just goes to show that elections matter. To be honest, I was starting to worry that, if the Republicans were blocked from passing any legislation, people might get lulled into the belief that the Trump Presidency was really no big deal. Sure, he’s a national and international embarrassment, but he was never able to accomplish anything significant, right?

People make arguments like that to justify staying home when, for example, they don’t like a Democrat who gave speeches to Wall Street bankers. Perhaps a bill like this is what Democrats need to actually unify for a few election cycles. If not, we’re fucked anyway.

11 Likes

This has me so concerned and no one is talking about it.

5 Likes

Thank You!

2 Likes

This is what happens when the Democrats take their eyes off the ball. “We need to take a serious look at sexual harassment!” And it’s the same thing over and over and over and over and…

Where was the barrage of primetime commercials to shape the story the way it needs to be heard?!

2 Likes

:joy:

some days I am quicker than others.

4 Likes

I don’t know - how much money did you send them for that ad campaign?

Odd but most people seem to get that this bill sucks. It’s on the evening news here - the local folks. They reported it last night and told us it was adding to the deficit.

There is nothing we can do otherwise - we’re the minority in Congress.

4 Likes

Sex is always distracting, that’s why it’s always such a useful political tool. As soon as people start to see what’s actually going on, just distract them with an issue about sex. Their brains will automatically shut down and they’re wide open to be robbed blind. It works every time, so why wouldn’t it be used over and over again.

@morrigan_2575 Yes and no. I take no pleasure that it is even only partly true.

1 Like

Yeah it is partly about that but also a lot of people who are more concerned with women’s issues than with the tax bill believe this is a big moment in history for women.

So sorry they like to talk about this, but it’s not just sex.

3 Likes

You should know by now a barrage of primetime commercials at approximately :30 each is when people get up to use the john, get a drink, lean down and pet the dog or stare at their navels. But we do now have commercials and ads for 2018 that the opposition has written themselves for us to use.

@tena

A somewhat meandering but ultimately insightful op-ed about the men who cost Clinton the election. It began, in the writer’s opinion, with the disgusting treatment sexual assaulter Lauer showed her, it was picked up on by other sexual assaulters, Rose, Halperin, and Thrush, l’arancia of course and wound up with Comey.

11 Likes

Sadly this is probably true. President Johnsons theory of racial politics on steroids.

3 Likes

I have squandered my resistance
on a pocketful of mumbles,
such are promises
all lies and jest
still a man hears
what he wants to hear
and disregards the rest

12 Likes

Before or after they run Franken out of the party?

1 Like

That seems to be a sonnet form - I used to write Shakespearean sonnets.

Is it? I love the scansion and the couplets at the end.

1 Like

Of course he does. Let’s not forget that Trump’s harmful agenda is what Conservatism’s harmful agenda has been for the last 97 years.

3 Likes

Well, Collins sold out. As a Republican, she absolutely, positively HAD to vote for the tax bill, ( unless she were resigning like Corker, which she is not), so she settled for an unenforceable “promise” from McConnell to do something he has no power to do i.e. make the House put more $$ into Obamacare.

Two geniuses from Queens. Of course.

2 Likes

And this is clearly the most dangerous elephant (pun intended) in the room. The GOP, who have long cried out about deficits and debt, know full well that this tax plan will blow a nuclear hole in the national debt. They will then use that excuse to cut Medicare, Medicaid, CHIP, food stamps, welfare, etc., etc., etc. They will turn this country into an impoverished banana republic ruled by obscenely rich oligarchs. Talk about destroying the American Dream! This will destroy America as we know it.

GOP = Government of Poverty.

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available