Discussion: How The GOP's SOTU Response Exposed Their Weakness

The Republican party/teabaggers in a nutshell.

4 Likes

Keystone Jobs bill Mike Easter! Republicans voted down a requirement that the pipeline be built with U.S.A. steel. So much for caring about jobs. And energy independence? Republicans voted down a requirement that the fuel stay in the U.S. Environmental safety? Leaking pipeline oil is in the Yellowstone River. Again!
Windmills and photovoltaic panels will never poison the Ogallala Aquifer.

7 Likes

Oh, they put a lot of thought into it. It’s just the thought is “how can we serve our rich overlords, but make it look like we give a sh*t about average people.”

3 Likes

Yawn! We have all heard this bull before.

With the delays in seating Franklin and Kennedy’s health issues they only actually had that super-majority for a couple of months much of which congress was in recess. Even then that super-majority was entirely dependent on Blue Dogs like Max Baucus, hence why they were able to call the shots for the entire party, because their buy in was necessary to get anything past Republican obstruction.

14 Likes

All I could think of is that she reminded me of my 7th grade english teacher, starchy and priggish (that’s right, prig, not pig) and telling us all how to pronounce our words:
s-l-o-w-l-y, s-u-c-c-i-n-c-t-l-y and with proper e/nun/ci/a/tion ‘children’. I can only imagine what her handwritten cursive style must look like. Sit up straight children!!! No elbows on your desks
the list goes on.

And were those bread-bags on the outside of her shoes when it rained, or the inside? I still can’t figure out how that shit worked if she tied them to the outside of her shoes.

I was waiting for her to tell us she was raised a free-range child as a kid
walking to get to school each day through miles and miles of cornfields and plenty of pig poop.

You know, when I was a kid

2 Likes

No, I don’t think they put a lot of thought into the content.
That’s what groups like ALEC are for: to do the thinking and free up politicians’ time to raise funds and kiss donor butt.

3 Likes

Isn’t it true that Joni was born in a log cabin that she built herself with her own two hands?

7 Likes

They’re like the dog that chases cars. Do we call that dog strong when he catches it?

3 Likes

I thought that Rand Paul’s Republican response was much better: it was better thought out and better organized. Joni Ernst’s response looked like something Rupert Murdoch’s blonde hacks or masseuse put together.

1 Like

And about Ernst’s bread-bag-shoes–because of her age, that must have happened while Reagan was president. Good times

6 Likes

Obama’s speech was really great. I wasn’t expecting it to be so good.

Ernst came off as a phony robot.

I thought it was telling in her story that the upside to the “bread bags on my feet” was that everyone had bread bags on their feet.

The metaphor seems to be, “Yes, as a middle-classed person, you may be feeling a lot of economic stress right now, but you should be happy, because all middle-classed people are screwed.”

6 Likes

Ernst didn’t embarrass herself the same way I didn’t when I sleepwalked nude down main street last night. I had shoes on, she had bread bags on.

2 Likes

Don’t underestimate the raw partisan interests and power of Roberts and the RATS on the Supreme Court.

Even Howard Hughes could afford tissue box shoes. Pathetic.

1 Like

" Her famously “folksy” delivery also seemed less appropriate to the
context of a State of the Union Address than to her hog
castration-centered 2014 campaign message. "

If that was a folksy delivery then my pile of cordwood is pretty damned folksy.

2 Likes

She and her pigs should have built that house out of bricks because that wolf was able to huff and puff and blow that shit down.

2 Likes

Some Republicans like Ron Johnson are on a mission to shut government down, drown it in a bathtub, leaving only enough of it to enrich defense contractors and the well-connected business interests who fund campaigns or fund primary opponents when the politician doesn’t toe the line.

1 Like

“I walked 45 mile to school with sandwich bags on my feet, in blinding snow storm with just a T-shirt on, all so I could blow pigs
”

1 Like

Yes, and that. They said the 2000 fix was a one-shot-deal, but I wouldn’t put the 5 past the chance to do it again so the conservatives have a lock on the SCOTUS for another generation.

1 Like

The Ernst (nee ‘Culver’) family likes their farm subsidies!

“The truth about her family’s farm roots and living within one’s means, however, is more complex. Relatives of Ernst (nĂ©e: Culver), based in Red Oak, Iowa (population: 5,568) have received over $460,000 in farm subsidies between 1995 and 2009. Ernst’s father, Richard Culver, was given $14,705 in conservation payments and $23,690 in commodity subsidies by the federal government–with all but twelve dollars allocated for corn support. Richard’s brother, Dallas Culver, benefited from $367,141 in federal agricultural aid, with over $250,000 geared toward corn subsidies. And the brothers’ late grandfather Harold Culver received $57,479 from Washington—again, mostly corn subsidies—between 1995 and 2001. He passed away in January 2003.”

7 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available