Discussion: How The GOP's SOTU Response Exposed Their Weakness

It’s really amazing how much time and effort they’ve spent pushing for a project whose overall economic impact is not all that big, even by the most optimistic reckonings.

10 Likes

Shorter Ed Kilgore:

Obama gave us Talking Points Many, while the GOP response was just The Slice of stale Ernst Cake that Joni has been carrying from neighbor to neighbor since she started her campaign.

5 Likes

When only 36.3% turn out to vote, the results will be anything but robust. They may control Congress but not because the majority of the country want them to Their weakness also shows when you learn how much intra-party squabbling and indecision there is in the party. Boner’s not a leader and neither is McConnell. Those who will be running for president tell themselves they’re the leaders.

16 Likes

It doesn’t matter if the GOP message is weak. They plan to cheat their way to total power with gerrymandering and rigging the Electoral College.

5 Likes

Also, too, “Keystone jobs bill”? Nice try, Joni.

6 Likes

Why did Joni Ernst give a campaign speech? It was weird, and ineffective. Her glazed look made her seem like an SNL sketch. Fail.

5 Likes

Off topic for sure, but I came across this editorial the other day and thought you might be interested since you are a Floridian. The state’s laws on how candidates running for the judiciary may finance their campaigns is being reviewed by SCOTUS and may be undone.

3 Likes

I knew it was the republicant response as soon as I heard “Executive overreach.”

3 Likes

What is apparent in the republicant’s push for the pipeline is that they will be repaying vested interests that helped bankroll their takeover of Congress. They can dress it up with talk of jobs, and no effect on the climate and only peace, love and happiness forever, but they are not telling the truth.

9 Likes

“How The GOP’s SOTU Response Exposed Their Weakness”

Because they literally had their weakness giving their response. They might as well have proudly opened the party’s trench coat to flash its shriveled, flaccid little ideological baby-penis. The whole undereducated, misinformed, hokey, folksy-wisdom, wink-wink-to-white-bigotry shtick is apparently all they’ve got left and it’s simply not enough to satisfy most people.

11 Likes

Ernst lies about her background. Take the lie about all the farm kids wearing bread bags on their feet. I’m the same age as her, and I grew up on a nearly-bankrupt farm in the 70s and 80s. We could afford $20 for a pair of shoes. We could also afford rubber boots, which is what we wore in bad weather or working with hogs. (Did Ernst wear bread bags over her one pair of shoes when castrating hogs or plowing fields? Inquiring minds want to know.)

It doesn’t pass the sniff test. Ernst grew up in Iowa, not some holler in Kentucky.  Iowa has always had the best, most profitable farms in the country.  She takes advantage of city people’s ignorance of actual rural life to make her background “folksy”. City people think “farm” and they immediately picture Life magazine pictures of the Dust Bowl.

And there’s also the fact that no self-respecting farm kid would put up with looking like a destitute Depression-era Okie wearing bread bags. I wore high tops like everybody else on my death-defying trudge down the gravel driveway to the school bus.

20 Likes

Brain sick, gasbag and NRA puppet Ernst was a perfect choice to represent the GOPigs: Fake televangelical smile, contrived recycled horsesh*t bagger and Con talking points, nothing of any substance, no vision, no plan, mind numbing ignorance, and only meaningless ‘white noise’ chatter for the Republican’s odious and shrinking ‘base.’

7 Likes

Exactly! The bread bag thing is a good example of her unthought ramblings… If the story is true, How did she castrate all of those hogs? did she wear boots, did she wear her bread bag boots, did she do it barefoot, or did her Mom say go ahead and soil your shoes?

5 Likes

I did wear bread bags over my shoes and under my boots when I was younger. I helped get the boots off my feet.

3 Likes

Yeah, on our farm, we had these things called “rubber boots” for wading through a foot of hog sh*t. I wished I had a pair listening to her fake story last night.

13 Likes

You did it for convenience, not because you only had “one pair of shoes”.

4 Likes

Yes, and as the man said, “Money doesn’t talk, it swears.”

2 Likes

Wow, I totally forgot about doing that as a kid too. Sudden 70’s flashback.

2 Likes

It didn’t take long for Fox to jump on the " Obama’s Bandwagon of Hate and Lies!"

1 Like

You’re right, but they have no control what-so-ever over Obama’s big " Veto Pen!

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available