Discussion: How 1.2 Million New Yorkers Ended Up With Arrest Warrants

Oh I’m sorry. Did you not read the the stuff in the DOJ report on Ferguson i.e. the report on all police departments and judiciary municipalities ?

New York City makes money on this just like Ferguson does.

1 Like

This might be a little off topic, but at least twice in my life and once in my late dad’s life, we got letters for unpaid parking tickets in cities or places to which we had never been. I presume it was a matter of a typo or some such with plate numbers.

In each case we wrote, copy of the letter attached, explaining that we could not possibly be the person involved: We were not in that place on that date or had never been there. We never got a reply.

I still have copies of that correspondence. I’ve subsequently been stopped by police for traffic violations at least 3 times, so I have to assume that I’m not in a data base of people with warrants attached to their names.

However, just the thought of being carted off in irons is, in itself, a nightmare, if only because I have medical issues that require attention several times per day.

1 Like

Excellent point. You have pointed out how these observations get taken out of context to justify draconian police actions mostly against minorities and the homeless.

It becomes an out of context “intellectual” or “expert” justification for further oppressive actions against the poor and minorities in general.

Add to throw out all the 100s of thousands of “tickets” issued to people/vehicles that have never been in the city. In 2000, I moved from Rochester, NY (Western NY) to Seattle. When I went to get my Washington State drivers license I found out that I had an unpaid parking ticket from NYC dated October 1966. Washington State would not issue my license until I cleared up the ticket. On the phone I talked to NYC police and they claimed I was ticketed, I asked how as at the time and day cited I was in a firefight in Vietnam, they did not care, they just wanted the initial $125 plus $1500 as an accumulated penalty. I said OK send me proof and gave them my address, not a word has been heard since. Washington State eventually issued a license and when I returned to New York State on a job transfer years later nothing was mentioned.

(snaps fingers) Bloomberg.

Long before Bloomberg, long before Rudy, Dinkins, Koch, started around time of John Lindsay… if not even earlier.

1 Like

I know that NYS does a check and when I moved to Washington State they also did so, not sure if still do and/or if other states do so. When I moved to Tennessee in 2010 know that the DMV did a check to see if I was licensed by another state, caused over a 3 month delay issuing my TN license and almost prevented me from voting at the time.

Before Boss Tweed…

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available