Discussion: House GOPers Spin Furiously After Dems Appear To Flip Deep Red PA District

Get used to it. ESAD!

2 Likes

Nice graph.

1 Like

There are 119 Republican-held seats that are less Red than PA18. They spent $10 million trying to save PA18. They won’t have $10 million for all 119. The Republicans will be very aware that the boat is sinking and they will be quick to throw their colleagues in marginal districts overboard trying to save themselves. For example, the people in R+7 districts won’t want to waste money on their colleagues in R+5 districts.
Too bad it is not a reality TV show where we could watch the nasty Republican Congressman being thrown over the side in real time.

5 Likes

You tell 'em, Steve! Yeah, boy, I’ll tell ya. I can’t remember how many middle class families were just being killed by the tax on the portion of an individual estate’s value that exceeded $5.4 million and, especially, the AMT before Republicans saved us from them. I mean, many people were saying this. I was hearing it all the time from middle class families.

There’s your message going forward, Republicans. Onward to victory.

9 Likes

I’ll be shocked if he retires voluntarily.
He’s not introspective enough to see the trouble he’s in—or the trouble he’s caused.

I’d rather see him beaten like a rented mule, anyway.

5 Likes

I saw an image of Stephen Hawking early this morning. His face was made with a pattern of stars on a black background. It looked almost 3D. e was a real genius. He held the Lucasian Chair of Mathematics at Cambridge…the same chair and office of Sir Issac Newton. Now, I submit that trump cannot come close to that.

5 Likes

Never understood that myself. Came to the conclusion long ago that we (men) do not have a say in the matter. I think the thing that bugs the hell out some of us is that women are the ultimate gatekeepers. Some of us just can’t stand the idea that we might have not been if Mom had made a different decision.

Update: I think this reply got linked to the wrong comment. TPM is messing with me today in other ways as well.

Update Update: Now it linked correctly when I looked again. This is a bit nutso.

2 Likes

I have loved that pun for all of time, especially because one usually has to work harder to fit it into conversation.
Not so, today. Excelsior!

3 Likes

Didn’t we include crumbs in the tax bill for the middle class and low income voters?

Here are crumbs! Just look at the crumbs!

Why isn’t the MSM focusing on the crumbs! Fake news!

4 Likes

I’d call them “crisis actors” :sunglasses:

3 Likes

It’s astonishing that Stephen lived as long as he did but goddamn his death leaves a hole the size of a black hole in the collective IQ of the species.

9 Likes

No one granted men the right.
They just assume that their opinions are more valuable on the subject because reasons.

The real problem is that those of us who are pro-choice have allowed the folks who believe that “The Handmaid’s Tale” is a social guidebook to set the tone of the discussion since Roe v. Wade.

Conor Lamb has the right approach—he’s personally opposed to abortion, but believes in choice for women.
I’m not opposed to abortion (even when it’s sloppy birth control) but I also believe in choice for women, who know far better than men what they should be able to do with their own bodies and their own reproductive options.

10 Likes

Do they call this whistling past the grave yard? No matter, I hope the GOP leadership continues to ignore the very real hatred they have engendered with Americans who don’t watch Fox News exclusively.

2 Likes

The thing about the anti-choice right that they themselves refuse to understand is that we are not asking them to like it that we have a choice. They don’t like it, they don’t have to. Just stay out of it, which they refuse to do.

It’s the most ridiculous position, ever - We don’t like it so You can’t do it. All we are saying is You don’t like it, you don’t have to.

I wish the fucking nuns would stay out of it - what the hell do they know about it any more than men do?

9 Likes

Kevin McCarthy, the House Majority Leader, is perhaps the most over-performing member of the US Congress. With both China Lake and Edwards on his district, and Big Oil, Big Ag and Big Pharma on his permanent contributor list, he rarely faces any Democratic challenge (even is the district was Democratic even when Reagan was governor).

He cannot form full sentences.
He cannot write (most is farmed out to staff or K Street shops).
He knows surprisingly little about basic science.
He faces the Young Guns jinx, but it now looks like only Ryan might succumb.

4 Likes

Dear GOP: Stick to your guns! If you keep campaigning based on your delusions, you’re sure to win big in November!

7 Likes

“This is something you’re not going to see repeated,” House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-WI) insisted on Wednesday…

Hardy HAR!

The self-delusion is coming along just fine with the GOP! I wouldn’t be surprised if Ryan actually believes that!

4 Likes

“This is something you’re not going to see repeated,”

k

6 Likes

No need to spin. The vote was not against Trump’s policies but against him as the leader. Lamb supports the steel tarifs and another of Trump’s major measures. If and when the Democrats get a majority, don’t expect much in changes. Anyone who thinks the corporate tax reduction is going to be reversed by the other party of big business is dreaming.

Oh please please PLEASE keep on deluding yourselves GOP. Please.

And Democrats…PLEASE don’t get complacent. The opportunities are clearly there, but don’t let up.

BTW…exit polling shows the two KEY issues in PA 18 were healthcare and pensions, not Pelosi, guns, immigration, gangs, religion, the tax cut, tariffs or trade.

When the GOP shells out the big PAC bucks, they just can’t resist going to all the golden oldies of ultra liberal tax and spend weak on crime and military crap. Despite Frank Luntz, it may no longer be working. We have to focus on the issues important to voters in each district…

10 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available