Discussion: Harry Reid's Parting Shot: Dems Will Nuke The Filibuster For SCOTUS

Promise him as much time in front of the camera as he desires, 24/7 if need be.

1 Like

Give 'em HELL Harry!

14 Likes

OT, but here’s a lift for the election weary. I swear, Obama was a terrific campaigner for his own elections, but he’s been even more inspiring for Hillary’s campaign:

22 Likes

YES!

Get 'em, Harry!

9 Likes

The “founders” had nothing to do with the filibuster rule. That is a simple rule the Senate voted in, so the Senate always has the option of voting it out.

14 Likes

Rubbish. If ever there were a time to get it all out in the open, to put your cards face-up on the table, to let it all hang out–insert another appropriate synonymous phrase here–THIS is the time. Good for Reid.

9 Likes

Time to show the obstructionists just how legitimate a Democratic President is.

7 Likes

In my opinion, this move is long overdue. It will give Mitch McConnell big “sadz,” which is a nice side benefit. It’s about time we take this toy out of his grasping hands. I will, of course, be even happier if this does happen, because it means he and his party of obstruction will be relegated to the minority. I’m sure he will continue to sabotage our government, but with much less effectiveness. #voteblue #clintonkaine2016

12 Likes

The purpose of the filibuster rule is – or was – to make sure there is adequate time for debate, whether or not the majority has its votes in hand. The minority has to be allowed to make its argument on the floor of the Senate. That can be accomplished by extending debate for some number of hours, days, weeks, whatever. But that’s the most that the minority is entitled to. Allowing them to extend debate forever is simply insane.

26 Likes

They don’t deliberate at all.

6 Likes

Hey GOPers, the blue bus has arrived!

Get ready to have Clinton’s liberal appointees crammed down your throat!

1 Like

Yep … It’d be a great move if Dems. would show up for “off season” –

Until then …

2 Likes

The Senate was originally intended to be something of a brake on the Legislative process, and to be acting on behalf of state governments. The founders were not particular fans of democracy, and so we have a number of undemocratic provisions in the Constitution. Among these:

• The Electoral College

• Selection of Senators by State Legislatures
    (deleted in the XVIIth Amendment)

• Lack of an initiative process for amending the constitution.
    (Given the complete SNAFU the initiative process has made of the
    California State Constitution, I tend to agree with this one.)

• Referral of Amendments to State Legislatures rather the People.

6 Likes

Yeesh… you torpedo the norms of the Senate for 8 years and expect the Dems not to finally stand up? I realize that you did something similar in the 90’s and it bit you in the ass but if you cannot accept responsibility for what you are doing you deserve to be spanked.

10 Likes

Filibuster should have been nuked already. No fear, anger or sadness about it. Must be done.

3 Likes

If ever there was a demonstration as to why “the nuclear option” is the right way to go, it has been this utterly childish handling of the Garland nom by the Republicans, and their irresponsible posturing regarding future nominees as well.

16 Likes

If the GOP was truly against this they’d pledge to retain the 60-seat filibuster in perpetuity. But they know that’s an ultimate loser for them so instead they’ll whine and complain and eagerly take the step themselves if they have the chance.

4 Likes

Damn it Reid…I can’t tell if this is GOTV for Republicans or GOTV for Democrats.

2 Likes

Right on Harry, enough pussy footing around with these fools from right wing nut job hell.

2 Likes

Which is worse:

or #2

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available