Discussion: Grassley Requests Info From Political Firm Behind Trump-Russia Dossier

Chuck Grassley and Republicans are more interested in the leakers than that a Foreign Power interfered in the American elections. Even Dick Cheney said that this was an act of war. Republicans are so afraid of what else is going to be exposed about Trump and the GOP and how they had their dirty little fingers all over this. The RNC is said to have contracted with a Russian company know to have ties to Putin to find dirt on Hillary Clinton. This is why a independent select committee and special prosecutor is required to get to the truth of the matter.

2 Likes

ā€¦a fishing expedition to find out who knew what before it became known unknowinglyā€¦and to see how close it comes to his saggy behind.

2 Likes

I really think this is the key to most of what the GOP has been up to - running scared with their hair on fire, trying to keep anyone from seeing the flames.

1 Like

As bad as the Trump-Putin scandal is going to be - and donā€™t get me wrong, I think it is going to be really bad - there arenā€™t any dead Americans from it yet. And thereā€™s a pretty high bar to reach on that metric when you consider Nixonā€™s interference with peace talks in Vietnam, and how many Americans died from the subsequent prolongation of that war.

Then thereā€™s the Reagan Campaignā€™s interference in getting hostages back from Iran, which very likely led to the hostage being kept by Iran for months longer than they would have otherwise.

So I would place both of those scandals as being worse than the GOPā€™s Russian Connection in terms of damage to human lives, at least so far.

Treasonous collusion with Americaā€™s enemies, to influence our elections, is a Republican tradition at this point - extending back to Nixon and Reagan.

4 Likes

Senile useless Trump follower Grassley seeks to divert the investigation away from treason? Yep. Itā€™s party above country for this fool.

2 Likes

Yes. And I would point out that Christopher Steele doesnā€™t make his living by being wrong.

1 Like

I wonder what the magic number is, the one where Republicans start brazenly running away from PP. Iā€™m thinking under 30% gets them there.

Only if the number gets low for Republican supporters. For Senators and gubernatorial candidates the general polling numbers are critical, but GOPers in the House likely donā€™t give a shit about general polling numbers that include Democrats unless they happen to live in a true swing district where the R advantage is not significant.

Those were very, very bad both in the effect on innocent lives and morally, of course. But I think in overall ability to shock the conscience and its sweeping effects on world affairs, this will be seen by history as much worse. Trump has almost certainly been laundering Russian mob money and government corruption money for years. He accepted the help of, coordinated with, and did the bidding of a hostile foreign nation in order to be installed at the highest level of political power on the globe. Putin has been systematically murdering people who knew about this. An entire political party and huge swathe of the nation went along with it. Our knowledge of the extent of the coverup and that extent itself grows daily. A competent, committed public servant was edged out of the competition and a lurid huckster put in place at the top of the worldā€™s only superpower, where heā€™s consistently done the hostile nationā€™s bidding, destabilizing global alliances and threatening the entire world order in ways that havenā€™t played out yet. Thereā€™s nothing in history that compares to it.

Yet.

6 Likes

You mean like the people who were jailed for a conspiracy to torture thousands of prisoners? Or the people who were jailed for a conspiracy to defraud millions of homeowners?

I mean like the people who went to jail for offenses related to Watergate. Sometimes powerful people evade justice. Sometimes they donā€™t.

2 Likes

No scandal in recent political history can match this one for the sheer number of bizarre characters and cinematic plot twists. Itā€™s not an arcane land deal. Itā€™s the stuff of espionage novels and political thrillers. And for that alone, scores of reporters are on this beat now.

It needs a better name though. Iā€™m tired of just appending ā€œgateā€ to every new scandal.

2 Likes

Absolutely. Itā€™s lazy and at least for this one, OMG does it trivialize it.

2 Likes

Agreed. And as you point out, this has been happening right before our eyes - granted, some in the MSM have tried to downplay (looking at you, NYT) - as opposed to the Nixon / Vietnam and Reagan Iran/Contra stuff - which, while suspected, really didnā€™t come to light until much later, relatively speaking, IIRC.

1 Like

I donā€™t at all mean to minimize what Nixon and Reagan did, or what Bush did. And Iā€™m not sure itā€™s very important to rank these things, or that it can be done except by very broad, subjective measures you could argue endlessly. But the sheer unreality of watching this horrible miscarriage of, well, everything play out in the middle of our world certainly adds to to the depth of it. People see graffiti, they hear their friends and neighbors taking and defending bizarre positions on stuffā€”itā€™s pervasive, and itā€™s a shock.

1 Like

Bingo! If I didnā€™t know better, Iā€™d think youā€™d been living in Iowa the past 20 yearsā€¦

Thatā€™s a damn good question. I started to comment on this and got interrupted after a mistaken paste of unrelated text from another comment. Meant to cancel this comment, but must have hit the wrong button on my phone screen. Apologies - post deleted.

Weā€™ve all been there! I just couldnā€™t quite figure out what point you were trying to make.

Have a good day!

Youā€™re not the first to wonder what the hell Iā€™m talking about :wink:

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available