Discussion: Gorka Storms Out Of Georgetown Panel After Tough Student Questions

homoousion?

Wow I can’t believe they had so little respect for him, well actually what I mean is I can’t believe they had any respect for him.

2 Likes

Probably already been said, but this is how campuses should handle right wing nut jobs. Protesting to the point that they have to cancel their appearance does nothing but play into their grubby hands. Let them speak, then challenge their views and humiliate them with words. But let them speak - their ridiculous ideas will out them for the fools they are.

How about wearing a Nazi medal while in a democratic governent. Is that arrogance or just a goose-stepping hoot?

Nazi Assholes, SVU (Special Victims Unit).

Now that is cultural appropriation.

Sturm and Drang,

Don’t step in the Gorka!

My father fought these bastards in WWII. I am not afraid of them. But, I think they are afraid of us.
Where’s that Nazi-slugging video?

1 Like

Typical bully behavior…

It’s funny how it used to be right wing nut jobs that saw Russians and nazis lurking in every shadow, and now it’s left wing nut jobs taking up the mantle. What wonders time has wrought.

No way Drumpf deports him - Gorka might be the missing link:

Homoousion vs. homoiousion.

They may be able to be expressed, but requiring a paragraph of text to explain. For an obvious example, take the word jihad. It doesn’t simply translate to “holy war”, but refers to the struggle for purity and righteousness. Most would consider this to be conducted primarily personally, but many both now and in the earliest years expand it to a crusade to spread the true faith and cleanse the world of the unrighteous, i.e. the current common usage in English.

Most languages have things like this, including English. Take a relatively simple word that just came to mind, agony. It could be translated simply as “pain”, but it has special connotations of long-lasting, ongoing pain born out of overwhelming injury to the body or the soul. Not all languages have a word for that. Hell, most languages don’t have a word for “blue”!

As to Greek philosophy, you seem to have pivoted to religion instead, but would be fascinated to know more about this ‘essentially meaningless’ concept. I wonder if that’s how the English-speaking members of those churches see it.

I don’t claim to be an expert, but in the past ~100 years or so they’ve moved towards coming back into communion, having realized that their theological differences are largely unimportant, so you can ask them.

Only the best!

Indeed. The whole point of a translator is to translate meaning, not words. Nothing you said there indicates there is any particular problem in relying on translations from Arabic for normal discourse, and the idea that Gorka has to be able to understand Arabic to take an informed view on Islamic extremists is ridiculous and intellectually bereft. There are naturally a few words that have signicant and complex cultural meanings that will mean different things or have different connotations to different people, but that’s true independently of whether you speak Arabic. Indeed, the fact we use the term ‘jihad’ rather than ‘holy war’ is in part because ‘holy war’ is a bad translation. In my view ‘Crusade’ is probably a more apt term of similar cultural significance, but that’s neither here or there.

Jesus, read anything about this guy. He is a charlatan. Pure con. His bona fides look ok then you get dig just below the surface and you see they are paper thin.

So…of course he has a job advising trump.

1 Like

So, THAT is what Real Alpha Males do when they are losing a simple debate to wimpy little college punks?
Undergrads, no less… imagine what a couple clever grad students might have accomplished.
Absurd is the new Normal.

1 Like

Your opinion is noted, and perhaps relevant in a discussion involving someone other than this twit. I will make a couple of points. Knowing the language / culture of the society you proport to be an “expert” on is of course highly beneficial. I don’t think you would disagree. Hardly “ridiculous” or “intellectually bereft”. Nice use of language, by-the-way.

I’m sure that not everyone who works in gov’t and deals with issues of Islamic extremism needs to know a language(s) of the region. A great many, especially in the rarified atmosphere that Gorka is / was floating around in, do understand not only the language, but the culture, the fine details of the society, the “real” muslim world.

This guy is an ignorant twit who takes his talking points from fox / fake news. His anti-islamic rhetoric is pathetic. I really hope the door hits him the ass hard when he is shown it.

I don’t know much about Gorka except from a couple of interviews in the UK, but it’s clear he isn’t an ignorant twit. There’s a real tendency in left wing media at the moment (no doubt copied from Fox) to build strawman caricatures of people they don’t like, and then gleefully demonise and knock them down while patting themselves on the back.

I agree with most of what you said, but think you’ve missed some context. He was giving his opinion on a topic having spoken at length with locals to understand their views. Further i understand he’s lived in a number of different countries and cultures, and so probably has a better understanding of cultural differences than your average American student. For some student to retort with ‘your opinion is invalid because you don’t speak Arabic’ is, frankly, stupid. That so many on this thread think it was a good point is pretty embarrassing. Not least because it obviously invalidates >99% of their own views on Islamic terrorists given they don’t speak Arabic, and so by their own reasoning aren’t qualified to opine.

Perhaps you know more about Gorka than me and he really is a twit, but his coverage on TPM has been more like a gossip magazine than anything approaching objective journalism.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available