Discussion: GOP Senator Says It's 'Hard' To Imagine Obamacare Repeal Passing This Week

Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME) on Sunday said she has “very serious concerns”

Is she capable of saying anything else these days? That’s all she ever says. Wouldn’t want her to get too far into the weeds now, would we? A little under 200 pages to change one fifth of the US economy and the best she can say is, “I have very serious concerns”? I’m sorry, but this is a sign of a slow mind at work and a spineless human being. She’s plum out of ideas of her own, I see. Besides, in the end she may very well vote for it. The bill already gives one year of funding for Planned Parenthood before its totally cut off. Maybe that’s enough for this dumb Senator to pretend she can now vote for it. If not, maybe they’ll up that to two years and she’ll suddenly be OK with killing grandma to give tax breaks to the rich. I hate these people.

6 Likes

I think the proper phrase should have been “I have very serious constipation”.

There Susan! Fixed it for ya!

2 Likes

Yah, but give party girl Suzie from Maine a little time to line up a good amount of insurance company bribes and then she’ll be ready.

Party girl Suzie…worse than little Marco.

“It’s hard for me to see the bill passing this week, but that’s up to the majority leader,”

No Sen. Collins, McConnell doesn’t get to decide what passes, you and the rest of the kill caucus get to decide if it passes. Come back when people lives are more important to you than the inflation rate of medicaid.

3 Likes

Of course “serious concerns” means “I need to go on the Sunday shows, please please please call me.”

But this is “very serious concerns,” OMG. So she’s going all the way to “I need to go on the Sunday shows twice before I cave, so seriously, call me.”

1 Like

The first clause giveth, the second clause taketh away.

6 Likes

Forget the vapors and/or the fainting spell !! Pass that fucker just the way it is because all GOPers want it that way. Move on to the rest of the agenda as quickly as possible … just get it done !! Dems just get the hell out of the way because you can’t stop anything anyway !!

Dems need to just make sure these “real muricans” that elected this guy know without a doubt that they created this “new murica” at the ballot box !!

NO !! Obama and Hillary didn’t do it !!!

1 Like

So this is slightly more than the usual Susan Collins kabuki, because she’s come out and said that it’s worse than the House bill for Medicaid. In other words, not just “concerns”, but a specific objection.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. But in the meantime, this legislation must be fought and resisted and highlighted for what it is–a death panel.

2 Likes

Although I think it’s more likely than not that this deplorable bill will pass, I think it’s a much harder and more complicated vote if you are a senator. A house member represents only a district, whereas a senator represents an entire state, so the ramifications are bigger. So, while it is more likely the bill will pass, it is also more likely that it may not.

3 Likes

So is it fair to say the consensus of the group is that she’ll cave?

5 Likes

No one’s going to announce on TV they’re opposed to it, but from what I’ve read Collins is opposed because of the population of Maine, oldest and whitest population of any state, and opioid addiction which is where Medicaid is used more and more.

@shorebreeze @drbb

@go2goal “Party girl”, twice, what’s that about? Oh, right, she’s a woman.

3 Likes

As a parting gift, she’s getting a free one year membership in the National Spelunking Society.

4 Likes

“Very serious concerns”… regarding reelection prospects.

1 Like

They’re all selling pink and purple and dark as the devil unicorns. They’ll rush the bill through at midnight and be on planes home half an hour later.

Is there any politician from either party who does not base what she or does in office on how it will affect reelection chances.? No. Some are more transparent than others but it’s their MO, every last one of them

Yes, but Susan (I can’t stand your voice) Collins, you’ll find a way to imagine it.

1 Like

Collins has a rare neurological voice disorder, and she’d probably hate the sound of your stupid voice too…

Spasmodic dysphonia (or laryngeal dystonia) is a voice disorder characterized by involuntary movements or spasms of one or more muscles of the larynx (vocal folds or voice box) during speech. Spasmodic dysphonia is a neurological disorder rather than a disorder of the larynx or muscles.[1]

The disorder is very rare, affecting an estimated .02 percent of the population, and it is twice as common in women than men.

2 Likes

Collins is safe – no primary could touch her in Maine. But she will get a ton of blowback in Maine if she votes yes on this with the herd on Thursday.

I can’t believe all these people commenting who are certain she will vote yes on this. I am from Maine, and I don’t think she will vote yes this week. Her pattern is to take a lot more time – I suspect she will vote yes on something less awful later this summer.
She has been very clear she is not saying yes or no till the CBO score is out. I think when it is she will instantly say no to be the second no, and not the third no vote. Or she will come out with Murkowski and maybe Capito all at the same time saying no this week – safety in numbers. I think this one is just like the house bill – it gets pulled the first time because by Tuesday after the CBO score is out it will be clear to McConnell it can’t pass.

4 Likes

@littlegirlblue & @jeffgee1 the question GOP senators face is whose primary challenge threat is more valid: A Koch-fed bull, or a Trump-fed wraith :stuck_out_tongue:

It is also possible that Heller from Nevada will vote no. He is not in a safe seat. Isn’t Collins going to run for Governor of Maine? If so, the Medicaid expansion would be something she would need to keep.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available