Discussion: GOP Senator Says He Wants More Time Before Voting On Obamacare Repeal Bill

This is the guy who coined the phrase “Jimmy Kimmel test” a couple of months ago and said he wants the Senate bill to pass that test. We already know that it doesn’t, and won’t. But sure, let’s give him some more time before he inevitably caves. (He’s not up for reelection until 2020.)

2 Likes

The Republican Hypocritical Oath

I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:…

I will reject the hard-won scientific gains of those physicians in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such Biblical nonsense as is mine with those who are to follow.

I will apply, for the benefit of the insurance industry, all measures which are required, applying those twin courses of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism depending on my bank account.

I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding will get in the way of an efficient flow of patients in my practice.

I will not be ashamed to say “I know not,” nor will I fail to call in my colleagues when the skills of a pharmaceutical rep are needed for my investment account’s recovery.

I will respect the privacy of my lobbyists, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. Above all, I must not play at God by interfering in the free market.

I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick, miserable, lazy, worthless human being, whose illness may affect the person’s family and economic ability to pay. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the irresponsible sick.

I will prevent disease whenever I can but I will always look for a path to keep Medicaid patients out of my office.

I will remember that I remain a member of Republican society, with special obligations to all my fellow Republicans, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm of ideology.

If I do not violate this oath, may I enjoy life and second homes in Aspen, respected while I live and remembered with affection thereafter. May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of billing those who seek my help.

3 Likes

Yes, wavering (in public, anyway) senators, what this death plan clearly needs is a little “more time.”

The reason for the big hurry is because Mitch wants the vote before the senators go home and hear from their constituents. But he doesn’t have to worry about Cassidy, who ran against the Affordable Care Act when he first got elected to the Senate and hasn’t had a change of heart. He’ll do the “oh, I’m torn on this” dance, then cave like the “moderate” Republicans always do.

1 Like

The big Six
Who owns the big six?
Corporate America.
Who likes Tax cuts and Republicans?
Corporate America.

The 6 Companies That Own (almost) All Media

3 Likes

And how about you fill some of that extra time with … oh, I don’t know - hearings with health care and insurance experts, doctors, hospital administrators, patients who now have coverage but won’t under your plan, economists, people like that; and, if you haven’t tossed it out after that, then give the opportunity for democrats to offer amendments that you must vote on in public, the kind of things that will make the difference between death/suffering and getting needed treatment. Just an idea.

It’s a TV phenomenon. Networks have to fill the air with content 24/7, and Rs are more than happy to speak in response to the red light. But the fact is there’s very little discussion in print about what Sunday gasbags say, bottom line is it makes for very lively discussion when TPM runs the stories about unhinged Rs.

2 Likes

If “being cheaper” makes a bill better, then there is sure a lot of room in the defense budget bill to make it better. Somehow, I am not sure Sen. Cassidy will get to work cutting the defense bill, though.

It’s our way.

2 Likes

To him, the question is “when?”

“When will the media be distracted by Dump’s latest tweet?”

“When will there be a terrorist incident that dominates the front pages?”

“When will Louisiana be paying attention to something else?”

“When can I cast my vote at midnight under a Cloak of Invisibility?”

1 Like

Bill, Bill, Bill! You’ll vote when Mitch tells you to vote. And you’ll vote yes, dammit! The two “no” votes are already taken. So, please, just sit down and shut up.

What he’s asking for is more time *in the spotlight *.

He needs to be in the news cycle.

1 Like

Seven years isn’t enough?

Why must our news echo the conservative battle cry?

This bill is the Republican health care plan. Obama has not been President for months, and Democrats have not controlled Congress in years. “Repeal and replace” is conservative shorthand for “stick it to Democrats”. Why must our news sources assist them in their propaganda?

Tell it like it is. This is the Republican health care bill.

1 Like

Been doing that for decades. I think part of it is that PR people of the GOPers hound the show bookers and they cave. They’re easy bookings and create phony “balance”.

24 million preventable deaths every ten years due to Trumpcare

Do the math with me and get ready for the talking point every Democrat should be repeating like an demented Canary.

6000 Americans will die prematurely every single day. Two 9/11’s PER Day of preventable death in the US. Four times the amount of people killed in the Holocaust, every ten years.

3 Likes

Keep lying Cassidy! You’ll vote for it this week!

2 Likes

Correct. Cassidy is a first term Senator from LA. And he faced a tough race winning the seat in 2016. He isn’t worried about voters tossing him out in 2018 obviously, but he is worried about 2022 and growing his war chest from RSCC money, which McConnell has quite a bit of influence over.

And at some point, he will want to be more than just a freshman back bencher. Being in good graces with GOP Leadership determines that.

2 Likes

I just called Cassidy’s office…again. The phone lines in the DC office are open. If you’re from Louisiana, please call and ask him to vote against the GOP Mean and Heartless Healthcare bill, or use your own words. :wink: John Kennedy (LA) is a spineless, hopeless case, but I’ll call anyway.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available