Discussion: GOP Rep. Faced Raucous Town Hall In Texas After Obamacare Repeal Failed

Yay You! Thank you!

2 Likes

Good point. The state and local level GOP pols in Texas are even more rancid than their national colleagues.

A special shout-out to Greg Abbott: the man who got rich off the accident that caused his disability, then got even richer by denying that opportunity to everyone else.

3 Likes

Witness a legislator being held accountable! Every one of them should face this kind of scrutiny. Legislators’ cries that these gatherings should remain civil is hilarious. They should look in the mirror and see their own incivility.

4 Likes

Ah, Baron Hill’s old district. That’s kind of hard sledding for Democrats, as I recall, but turnout and ineptitude nationally can still carry it. Yoder is going for a rematch in 2018?

1 Like

Sweet, they’re getting it on both ends, before and after.
These guys lives have become miserable and everything they do and say is now under scrutiny from both sides.

Their own side just learned that they aren’t representing them and we always knew what bastards they are.
Plus, their leadership is on their ass and there’s always he twitter doofus waiting to ‘fire off’ a mean tweet.

Yeah, it’s time to govern alright because their own opposition is biting them right in the ass and bowing to the rich just got shot down hard.

4 Likes

I think the days of fearing a mean tweet are past us. It wouldn’t surprise me if the smarter Republicans start trolling Donnie just so they can claim ‘speaking truth to power’ as their reĂ«lection theme.

3 Likes

One further note: Culberson’s district went for Hillary in the election.

A double digit swing from when the 7th went for Romney in 2012

Yes, that’s right, Hillary won the 7th by 1.4 points in a district Obama lost by 21.3 points.

8 Likes

Oh my 

You mean
voting has consequences ? ? 

2 Likes

I don’t know, his thumbs were up early and pecking away this weekend. He threw Ryan under the Faux bus and blamed Republicans for the failure of the Republican bill.

He’ll be tweeting on the way to Leavenworth, face it.

Yes, the fear factor of Donald the Failure has greatly subsided but his band of loons are still dedicated, because they are loons.

6 Likes

It’s the old “Bloody 8th” going back to 1984 when the former mayor of my hometown (Frank McCloskey) got sent back for a second term with a vote advantage of under 10 votes - recount after recount - several stunts by both parties to attempt to use the power of Congress to seat/declare a congressional race. He held the seat, I believe for at least another decade.

Baron would win and lose and win again in that seat. It was competitive. The redistricting made it an even steeper climb. It was Yoder’s second race (she is on the City Council) and in the summer, she was looking very strong. I think she had a chance until the whole wave of shifting dynamics swept down ballot (we also thought we were going to get the Gov. due to the strong Anti Pence sentiment - he was an awful gov), but at least as of last month, she (Yoder) said she wasn’t leaning towards making another run.

3 Likes

There was an old district in Arizona, I want to say the 2nd, but it might not be, that ran from the Hopi reservation in northeastern Arizona down to western Phoenix suburbs
 It included none of the Navajo reservation, which completely encloses the Hopis. The boundaries ran down unoccupied dry river beds. It’s since been cleaned up and is more contiguous.

2 Likes

15 Likes

They are right bastards with those fucking voting maps.

4 Likes

There are some loathsome members on this list too. I’m looking at you, Pete Sessions. You too, Dana Rohrabacher. Hi there, Ilenena Ros-Lehtinen. And then there’s Darrell Issa. I think we get that seat in 2018. He held on by a carbon nanotube in 2016 and really has no constituency there other than being incredibly wealthy and able to spend his own money. I think we get at least 3 or 4 of those.

7 Likes

Hey, at least he held a town hall, unlike “Judge” Carter (R, TX-31) (those are my notes from last week’s telephone town hall).

1 Like

Pence was in WV this weekend promising that the Obamacare repeal was still coming and bragging about how hard Trump is working to bring back all the coal jobs. His years on the radio made him a slick salesman to rubes, but the product is stale. (I also think that his lies, while less bombastic than Trump’s, are actually more damaging; you can’t really judge “something terrific”, but when someone promises such-and-such gains in employment it’s a different story.)

@radicalcentrist Even the crowds in Tennessee weren’t feeling the heat. Oh for the halcyon days in the Summer of Hate!

@antisachetdethe Ditto for North Carolina.

4 Likes

Unlike Jeb Hensarling, too, who did a teletownhall on a night when I couldn’t phone in and join it.

Chickenshits. If he had drawn an opponent last year he would not be here right now - we’d have a Democrat instead.

3 Likes

The fact that Trump/Pence have to go to Kentucky and West Virginia for love isn’t a great sign for them.

3 Likes

Perhaps now that people understand how gerrymandering is used in Texas to the Nth degree (thanks to Tom Delay who got a redistricting approved in non census years) can understand how Texas returns a Republican Congressional delegation. If the districts were drawn fairly, the urban centers would send a much more liberal overall delegation.

8 Likes

O god yes. This has all been so damn frustrating for those of us who live in more liberal areas, like I do. The GOP is like ticks - it’s hard as hell to dislodge them once they get their claws sunk into a district.

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available