Discussion: GOP Rep. Faced Raucous Town Hall In Texas After Obamacare Repeal Failed

This fellow Texan feels your gerrymandered pain.

11 Likes

Please folllow up with the Housten Press coverage when it appears. It is good to get a pulse of how these events are viewed locally.

3 Likes

The map is in court. The district court already held it was intentionally discriminatory and now it’s on appeal.

8 Likes

What district? I’d love to write a letter. :smile:

Mine had a town hall at the edge of the district, in a banquet hall for wedding receptions at 8 in the morning, in a blizzard. We had 1000 people. I think he’ll have the next one in a lead mine in the woods. We’ll find him there too. They’re terrified of their constituencies. The downside of being in a gerrymandered district system is that the Democrats are mostly in districts that are completely invulnerable and the Republicans are very vulnerable to wave elections. A 7 point swing would swamp dozens and dozens of Republicans out of office. Hell, a upswing in turnout would put a lot of them in a ditch. Never give in, never surrender, never stop.

9 Likes

The part of the district to the right (inside Beltway 8 and Loop 610) have the more liberal precincts. The parts to the right are exurban Trump areas.

The shock for Culberson will come in fundraising - the money comes from the more liberal areas.

7 Likes

Listen, we did that in '06 here in Dallas Co and there is no reason why it isn’t possible to do that in more places next year. And I am pretty damn sure we will, the way things are looking.

7 Likes

We need to let the Republican representatives know clearly each and every day, the public pushback is intensifying and it doesn’t end with healthcare. We need to run good democratic opponents and end these Trump supporting congressman careers in the upcoming 2018 midterms.

11 Likes

Totally agree =- we have them running scared and we cannot let up.

5 Likes

This is called a democratic republic for a reason. We elect representatives to do the peoples’ business in Washington. All of the people, not just rich corporate donors. Sorry to disturb you, Congressman, if you can’t answer to your constituents, perhaps you should seek other employment.

11 Likes

The other part of the gerrymandering put other liberal precincts in Ted Poe’s 2nd CD. (The part inside Loop 610). Gayborhood, Rice University, and the Med Center area.

3 Likes

Vermont’s congressional delegation had a joint town hall and purposely chose the most Republican part of the state (49% Trump vote). The poor guys could barely get a word out between standing ovations.

6 Likes

Check out his plane …

9 Likes

Ted Poe is an embarrassment. To be honest, the vast majority of the Texas Republican delegation are too dumb to be potted plants. Blake Farrenholdt is the worst, but it’s a hot race.

8 Likes

If he isn’t primaried, and he isn’t defeated in the general, he’ll go right back to the same dysfunctional GOP caucus in Congress. Enjoy your time with Louie Gohmert and Blake Farenthold, asshole – better you than me.

1 Like

There are too many to choose from here. I wish it was just Farenthold but it’s a whole raft of really bad GOP politicians in Texas.

The worst.

2 Likes

Now that is a classic example of gerrymandered district…so obvious.

7 Likes

Indiana 9th district: http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2016/11/08/hollingsworth-holds-early-lead-tight-congressional-race-yoder/93161924/

That town hall, in the blizzard at 8am - sounds like awesome.

3 Likes

It’s so nice to see real populism-the kind that is actually popular and cares about the people-as compared to the faux kind.

3 Likes

It was a delight. There were 500 of us outside chanting let us in. And then it was over at 9 so they could set up for a wedding reception.

10 Likes

Not as obvious as Lloyd Doggett’s redrawn district in Ausitn - it’s unbelievable. it’s a half block wide and runs to the fucking border. It was one of the three that the court said were intentionally discriminatory.

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available