Discussion: GOP Rep. Faced Raucous Town Hall In Texas After Obamacare Repeal Failed

2 Likes

That’s my scumsucking Congresscritter! Guess his plan to have the townhall at the outer edges of the district, far from the major population density would protect him.

27 Likes

“Fix it”

We won.

18 Likes

Sounds like that didn’t work, not only filled to capacity but hundreds outside. Like so many recent Town Hall meetings. What was the local coverage positive or critical?

7 Likes

So he basically says he’s against everything the republicans are proposing, even though he’s a republican? Wimp.

11 Likes

Supporting crappy bills has consequences.

He should worry less about the level of their voices and more about their level of determination.

18 Likes

What I love is that we’re still showing up and yelling, now we’re yelling about the tax cuts. Yay us!

25 Likes

Very little coverage. The main coverage has been Poe resigning from Freedumb Fuckus.

I just count my blessings. Culberson is bad enough, but if I lived across the street, Poe would be my Congresscritter. (Wonderful gerrymandering here.)

6 Likes

I’ll be more convinced of that and cheerful when “Fix It” turns into a mix of “Fix It” and “VOTE HIM OUT”.

8 Likes

Nothing new. Many Trump supporters have been saying that for a while now:

Zacharda, 63, is a Trump voter with a lawn care and snowplow business in Elk River Minnesota. "They say it’s repeal and replace,” said Bill Zacharda, having breakfast Thursday with the usual crew at the Olde Main Eatery in downtown Elk River. “What it should be is, work and fix.”

I wish at Joni Ernst’s town hall meeting the crowd would’ve pulled out plastic bread bags and slipped them over their shoes when she talked about how qualified DeVos was.

9 Likes

“The only way to fix it is to replace it,” he said

With all due respect, sir, YOU HAVEN"T TRIED TO FIX IT, YOU HORSE"S ASS!!!

13 Likes

Love this part:

“I just answered,” he said as the crowd continued to chant, according to the publuication. “The answer is no. … I’ll work hard to protect the Department of State.”

He also said he would support funding for the National Institutes for Health and the National Endowment for the Arts, per the Texas Tribune. He told the crowd that he would support funding for public broadcasting in the short term, but that those programs should “ultimately” be self-supporting, which was met with boos from the crowd, according to the Houston Chronicle.

May be a Republican district, but it is an educated, affluent district. Arts and PBS are extremely popular among the ladies who lunch and their elderly club women mothers. District also includes “Doctor Gulch” neighborhoods populated by staff of the Medical Center.

16 Likes

Do they get much activity in the Letters to the Editors even if the paper doesn’t cover an event like this? And yes, I can see how the Poe resignation would steal the coverage - but I rather think that the two might be related to the same constituent dynamics, no?

We just elected a carpetbagger whose wealthy father (an another state no less) financed the campaign. He doesn’t have a fax, doesn’t respond to communications, doesn’t have a district office within 100 miles of the blue dot (college town) in his district. So we wouldn’t get an event to create a stir - but our local paper, at least, gives full voice to our concerns/views. (Which means squat in terms of a representation, but does at least give that (stifled) voice.)

4 Likes

And yet he supported a bill that was opposed by the AMA and the hospitals? This guy isn’t too bright, is he?

11 Likes

Yep, that’s what they’re all doing. Here in Iowa, Grassley and Ernst did their town halls in distant rural towns. Grassley claims he has done town halls in all 99 counties, but has never done one in Johnson County, the most liberal city in Iowa.

6 Likes

He’s between a rock and a hard place. Because of gerrymandering his district comprises very liberal and very conservative precincts, with the conservative slightly outnumbering the liberal. He’s trying to dance on the head of a pin. Probably going to blow up in his face.

17 Likes

As happened in the Pete Session townhall (also in Texas) a week earlier in response to his emphatic declaration that he was voting for repeal and replace.

3 Likes

He didn’t do it in a rural area, just one at the outskirts. If he had had the event at Lamar High School, he would have had a much larger, more pissed off, crowd.

5 Likes

The scathing coverage will come when the weekly Houston Press publishes in a few days. The Houston Chronicle is a joke. Many, many headlines about the oil bidness today.

5 Likes

Gerrymandering is going to be subject of a case in front of the Supremes shortly, Whitford v Gill, which addresses WI gerrymandering specifically but will address the overall inequity of drawing districts where critters choose their voters and create safe seats. If SCOTUS sees it our way it could bring a nonpartisan approach to 2020 and drawing districts…

10 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available