Discussion: GOP Group Launches Bid To Shut Dems Out Of Key California House Races

2 Likes

It might help their cause a little bit if the Republican Party in California wasn’t about as popular as chocolate-covered ebola.

26 Likes

Did they wake up to the shocking realization it takes more than Trump’s incoherent ravings to win elections?

But, looking at that picture, I am moved to ask… Would You Buy A Used Car From Those People?

10 Likes

I cannot wait until it gets really, really close to election day, because Rohrabacher is going to go out of his batshit crazy mind more than usual. The more he keeps screaming that he has evidence to prove that his BFF Putin didn’t interfere in the 2016 election, the more he is going down.

15 Likes

OH GOOD GOD…I am trying REALLY hard not to be crude…OK I can’t do it…arghhhhhhhhh…good ‘patriots’ all.

I actually live in Issa’s district and I can’t tell you how much fun it has been to answer the many voter survey calls in person and automated (lately, at least 2 minimum daily if not more) and tell them how much I hate Trump and anything republican and then go on to answer the demographic questions indicating that I am a white middle aged college educated male who identifies as a non-partisan moderate. It must drive them nuts!

35 Likes

The “jungle primary” was never really a good idea. It works only in a few relatively limiited situations. Other times, you could get a 70% democratic district choosing between two republicans. Or vice versa.

16 Likes

Sorry, but they delete your response. Like they do with employee surveys. Anything embarrassing goes into the round file.

5 Likes

He’s going to end up, on the dirty boulevard
he’s going out, to the dirty boulevard
he’s going down, to the dirty boulevard

4 Likes

As Jimmy Durante would say: What a revoltin’ development dis is!

5 Likes

If they are deleting responses they don’t like then it isn’t a scientific poll.

3 Likes

I don’t agree. I think the situations it doesn’t work in is limited. Remember, a republican hasn’t held a state wide constitutional office in CA in how long? It probably works better on a larger scale than a district situation but party discipline could correct this problem.

4 Likes

I used to get mailers from the local Tennessee GOP and I would take a magic marker and write: “Return To Sender! I will NOT Accept Mail From This Person!” and put it back in the mailbox with the flag up.
After they had to keep paying the return postage, I guess they gave up. Been GOP-free in my mailbox for 3 years now! And this is Tennessee, which is borderline Dumbfuckistan!

9 Likes

“The group is also spending $100,000 to boost Scott Baugh, a Republican running against controversial Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA).”

And just because that leaked 2016 secret recording can never be repeated enough:

"The Russians hacked the DNC and got the opposition research that they had on Trump,” McCarthy said with a laugh.

Ryan asked who the Russians “delivered” the opposition research to.

“There’s two people, I think, Putin pays: Rohrabacher and Trump,” McCarthy said, drawing some laughter.

“Swear to G-d,” McCarthy added.

“This is an off the record,” Ryan said.

Some lawmakers laughed at that.

“No leaks, alright?” Ryan said, adding: “This is how we know we’re a real family here.”

“That’s how you know that we’re tight,” Scalise said.

“What’s said in the family stays in the family,” Ryan added.

Traitors, one and all.

39 Likes

Can it really be the case that not one of these Dems in the primary is pulling ahead of the others and getting momentum? I’d like to hear from someone n this CA district to illuminate the situation further…

2 Likes

In Washington State this is called an “Open Primary” and it seems to be working well. It prevents people from jumping parties in the primary to vote for the weakest Rep/Dem candidate in order to get your party’s win. In an Open Primary, only the two strongest candidates prevail.

As I’ve been posting this week, I’m in one of those districts (CA39). I would bet that the fourth seat is the one held by Mimi Walters. Dems have been working to flip these seats for at least the last year.

ETA: As I have posted previously, there are 17 people on the ballot for Ed Royce’s seat: 7 Rs, 6 Dems, 2 American Independents, and 2 no party preference.

5 Likes

… but actually we want Rohrbacher to do better. Because if he loses votes, the second Republican in that race is bound to benefit.

Democrats in his district must unite behind the clear leader, Harley Rouda, to avert a top-two shoutout. Any Democratic vote for a candidate other than Rouda in that race boosts Baugh’s chances to shut the Democrats out. Let’s not snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

12 Likes

Of course it’s not scientific. I was just being a wise ass, but I’ve seen mgmt disregard employee comments that mgmt cannot or will not deal with. These employee surveys are just to give the appearance that mgmt cares when they don’t give a shit. They’re just looking to forestall unions. But I’m OT. These story was about political polls.

4 Likes

California’s “jungle” primary system allows the top two vote-getters to advance to the general election, regardless of party.

In my view that set up is just plain stupid. Why have political parties then?

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available