Discussion: Gillibrand Intros Bipartisan Bill To Alter How Congress Handles Harassment

Al had many many letters from female colleagues who supported him. Only Gillibrand and the purity frenzy mob did not.

3 Likes

I don’t discount the effort—even though it is highly unlikely to get a vote on the Senate floor, thanks to McConnell’s brazen disregard for democracy.

I just want to make sure that there is a mechanism to prevent wild accusations from being taken as Gospel Truth without proper investigation.

1 Like

If I were McConnell, I would support this effort. It gives him a beachhead on Purity Mountain, and allows the Rs to push back against the “woman-hating” label. I’d put modest money on this getting some traction.

2 Likes

I would like to know the details per protections, as well. If there is any chance for something like this to become law, now would be the only possible window for it to get through. That said, the devil is in the details.

1 Like

Franken?

2 Likes

Well played!!! I would like to see him return to public service, though.

2 Likes

Why worry about such quaint, antiquated notions when you can rely on pearl-clutching, handkerchief-waving, knee-jerk political opportunism without any inquiry or investigation instead? Burn 'em first, then asks questions, says I.

2 Likes

“Don’t grab a woman’s ass or breasts without her consent” and “Don’t try to forcibly kiss a woman” aren’t new rules. But new to some people, apparently.

Um, there’s no evidence that Franken actually did either.

3 Likes

When asked if he’d ever done the first, he said he couldn’t remember.

Most people would remember whether they’d ever done something like that.

I doubt they would consider him a serious candidate in St Petersberg…

You are missing the chance to dump all over Gillibrand because of Al Franken. That’s what is going on and has gone on since Al resigned.

It’s exceedingly misogynistic.

This is nice—and related.

3 Likes

The women are coming for him.

2 Likes

The men seem to lack the necessary balls to do the job.

2 Likes

Looks that way to me. I think the Congressional women are tired of waiting.

3 Likes

Fair to say Senator Gillibrand is tossing her hat into the 2020 Presidential ring.

Let’s remember, Gillibrand has had basically a free ride to where she is today. Two terms in Congress and a member of the Blue Dog Coalition, followed by being appointed to fill Clinton’s empty Senate seat in '09. She’s smart, attractive and a natural politician. But she’s also centrist with a ‘sometimes’ populist message. Sound familiar?
@milt69

1 Like

Sound familiar?

O yeah, you do.

1 Like

LOL! Just stirring the pot a bit. Still mad about Franken being pushed to the curb. But a Blue
Dog Dem? We can do better.

How about a Cuomo Boxer ticket?

“Cuomo has passed a $15 minimum wage, implemented a robust paid family leave program, raised the age of criminal responsibility to 18, rushed through a plan to make tuition free at the state’s public colleges and universities, and banned fracking.”

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/07/07/andrew-cuomo-2020-trump-215348

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

Gillibrand reflected her constituents positions as a House member—how shocking!

She’s moved left now that she represents a whole state with a lot of liberals.

Everybody can’t be a fire-breathing lefty—and even if they could be, it would be good for the country.

America is a vaguely left-of-center nation, with occasional short-term moves to right-of-center.
Gillibrand’s politics are very mainstream. And that is a good thing.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available