Discussion: Gillibrand Intros Bipartisan Bill To Alter How Congress Handles Harassment

Hey, how about instead of making Franken resign, give him some duty regarding the harassment classes for congress or some such thing?

2 Likes

If you’re a woman being sexually harassed at work, who has been sexually assaulted, it’s the only ssue that matters.

1 Like

A) he.supposedly wasn’t running

B) Franken screwed Franken

2 Likes

So this week didn’t happen, right?

2 Likes

I do agree, but due process (investigative committee) was yet commence, and "never the less, she persisted"

Those are two separate and very distinct issues.

If the defense is: “Franken should have had a chance to defend himself.”, then you also have to remember that he had that opportunity to do so (albeit in the court of public opinion) and this was his answer.

1 Like

She’d never get my vote. Anyone that leads a unamerican witch hunt resulting in denying a person of due process and demand that they resign on the basis on nonsense evidence and anonymous statements isn’t trustworthy to run the country. Anyone who thinks they have the right to make a decision to demand the resignation of a fellow democratic without input from the membership is no better that a quasi dictator. We already have too many people in office that don’t listen to the American People.

5 Likes

I suspect there are a lot of men who are concerned that they don’t know how to treat women in the workplace under the new rules. More importantly there are probably lots of men who made mistakes years ago, learned from them and are afraid they are going to be punished all out of proportion for decades old mistakes.

There is a serious difference between sexual harassment and sexual assault but there seems to be no difference in punishment in the court of public opinion. The real difference in the political world is whether a harassing member of Congress is a Republican or a Democrat. Republicans get to serve out their terms, Democrats are frog marched out in shame.

2 Likes

I know, I was trying to be clever. Thanks for the link.

In complete agreement here.

2 Likes

okies

1 Like

Turning “never the less, she persisted” into an anti-woman jibe.

Wow, just wow.

While the bros are willing to concede that sexual harassment is a real issue, it’s not nearly as serious an issue as the persecution of poor, poor Al Franken. Because the bros know Al better than the female colleagues who’ve worked with him for years, apparently. And, hey, what’s a little ass grab when Al’s been such a staunch champion of women?

And please stop using the term “due process.” This is not a criminal issue.

Because everyone is running stories like this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/12/12/already-on-the-2020-radar-kirsten-gillibrand-catapulted-into-the-spotlight-by-president-trump/?utm_term=.06aeb5c34b9f

Etc, etc, etc. Note that these articles trace back throughout the past year.

She is apparently doing extremely well on the fund raising side of things, though arguably, that could be just for her Senate race this year.

2 Likes

scrolls up to a previous post…k

k

1 Like

“Don’t grab a woman’s ass or breasts without her consent” and “Don’t try to forcibly kiss a woman” aren’t new rules. But new to some people, apparently.

1 Like

You are right, but each and every activity you describe is assault. Harassment and assault are different things. Assault is an unwanted touching. Harassment is by definition subjective. Those are the rules that have evolved.

1 Like

She said that back in March.

And its a pretty standard “denial”…I am only focused on running for my Senate seat and representing the great people of my state…blah, blah, blah.

Nobody is going to officially declare this far out, but its pretty clear that people are eyeing her as a candidate, and she knows it.

2 Likes

Due process is not limited to criminal issues.

It is the foundation of our entire legal system.

5 Likes

But this is okay, right?

4 Likes

I’m not so sure. Following the disaster for the Rs in Alabama, I bet there’s a substantial number who want a clear route to solving this problem. Paying off victims with taxpayer funds is the most disgusting thing. I can’t imagine anyone supporting that. Although I’m far from a Gillibrand fan, I wish her well on this effort.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available