Discussion: Franken Spokesperson: Senator 'Plans To Resign' On January 2

I’m stuck in the Fuck You, Kristen Gillibrand phase which followed right on the heels of the Fuck You, Leann Tweeden phase.

Roger Stone ratfucking and the Dem women fell for it hook, line, sinker followed by the spineless men in our senate.

I don’t blame Franken for leaving - why would he want to stay with a bunch of hysterical reactionaries in his caucus?

10 Likes

The Democratic Party no longer wants him in the Senate.

Even after Leahy and Manchin said he should stay for the investigation, the following Democratic senators who had earlier called for him to resign reiterated their calls: Michael Bennet, Cory Booker, Sherrod Brown, Bob Casey, Kamala Harris, Jeff Merkley, Patty Murray, Gary Peters, Debbie Stabenow, Jon Tester — and Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, and Kirsten Gillibrand.

1 Like

There are plenty of smart, adult Dems in Minnesota; let Franken go.

And if that makes your head explode, think for a moment. Picture your Mother, or Sister, or Cousin, or Daughter, or a Female Friend. Now picture her on an intercontinental plan trip, working with Franken late into the evening. He’s getting a little punchy from the late hour, or maybe his second beer. She’s kind of tired, too. Uncomfortable yet?

He needs to go. He’s lost his credibility, and he’s no longer has the benefit of being presumed safe to be around.

Suck it up guys.

“Baby talk”? Really? I can’t say I’m in total agreement with her position on Franken, and there are legitimate criticisms to be made, but women are not babies or children, and what they have to say is worth listening to. I believe that Gillibrand is an adult.

3 Likes

Politics is about perception more than capability or truth nowadays…a look at the president should make that clear. I have doubts about what happened to Franken, there’s no clear proof of anything aside from the picture with Tweeden, and it’s not clear that was really out of line (considering the other things happening around it). But, as a politician, Franken was caught in something that made him look bad, and even if it was a bunch of untrue allegations that doesn’t change what happened because of them, in that he got caught in the moment where women are finally standing up and fighting back. It’s sad that it’s only taking down liberals, while people like Moore and Trump continue to have support…but that tells you something about the character of the nation and the groups within it.

We are at a moment where women are finally receiving their due, at least from part of the nation, and the turbulence around that will catch some people who probably don’t deserve to be crushed, simply because they did something considered silly and normal years or decades ago that’s not good now. That’s just how life is…the question is how we sustain the moment to make sure women are treated fairly, and extend it so we don’t have monsters like Moore almost reach the Senate anymore.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m picturing it. And what I’m seeing is any male who tried anything along the lines of what Franken was accused of being on the floor clutching his balls. As for Dump, he’d be bleeding out from his torn-off testicles.

I’m also remembering all those women who worked late into the night with Al Franken under high pressure, maybe with beer or stronger stuff around, who eagerly came forward and praised his professionalism towards women.

Doesn’t change the fact that he’s not going to stay in the Senate, much as I’d want him to. But I’m not going to let people like you trash the work that he did based on one Koch-Stone sucker, a couple of vague accusations, and none other that have come forward in the time since.

5 Likes

Nope. Not even remotely uncomfortable. He didn’t touch her and I’ve seen plenty of women in my family and out make lewd, childish jokes all by themselves. Fuck the “what if it was your own mother or daughter” card unless there’s actually some “there” there.

And yes, he does have the benefit of being presumed safe to be around. In this country, you are innocent unless and until proven guilty through fair and just process, not just because non-credible political hacks who are proven partisan liars have decided to team up with the single most famous living GOP ratfucker to take revenge on you for getting someone from team GOP to commit perjury in testimony before congress. And you’re certainly not guilty just because a few on your own team decided it was in their OWN selfish self-interest to join in the ratfucking orgy to save face and avail themselves of the opportunity for public grandstanding.

7 Likes

She is an adult but is also a terrible speaker. I was looking forward to her speech at the convention. Everyone in the hall just kept talking to each other through the whole thing. I tried to listen but immediately had no idea what she said.

1 Like

I didn’t even remember that she spoke. Compare that to BO back when he was just speaking on behalf of the guy who was actually running…

1 Like

I am and always have been someone who got the concept of workplace sexual harassment and equality for men and women, straight and gay. I have no idea why all those pols ganged up on Franken. None.

2 Likes

i don’t pretend to know Franken’s mind, but I suspect he has been so demoralized by this whole affair that he is just walking off the field as one might do with crooked referees. Who needs this? I suspect is his mind.

5 Likes

So many women to denigrate, so little time.

2 Likes

You’re forgetting the photo, I guess, and his own admission of stupid behavior. How very convenient.

1 Like

Ahem. Franken admitted to his bad behavior.
And, I’ll play the mother or daughter card any time I want to.

1 Like

There are several downsides to Franken leaving, and he’s a man I admire and have for years. But one of them is not that Democrats gain one more female Senator bringing the total up to 22. Just think, 28 more and we’ll be up to half the number in the entire body.

3 Likes

Agreed too.

Man, next time I want to feel a woman’s tits, I want it to be through BODY ARMOR.

Admission of stupid behavior? I think he was talking about sophomoric humor that his audience and fellow performers, including Tweeden-dumber, loved being part of. Watch the DVD.

And you’re conveniently pulling crap out of your . . . brain . . . to justify your . . . opinion.

And I agree with Painter as well (who, by the way, apparently is considering quitting the GOP).

3 Likes

I’d say that depends on who’s doing the presuming.

Are you saying most American women now presume themselves to be unsafe around Franken?

1 Like

Having another not white guy senator is definitely an upside. I just really wanted the ethics investigation. Due process and all.

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available