Discussion: ‘Foul,’ ‘Glum,’ ‘Like I’m Gonna Strangle You’: The Mood On Capitol Hill Is Grim

Some advice for Murkowski that would cheer her and the nation up. Just switch sides. Declare yourself independent and caucus with the Democrats. That would go a long way to clean yourself of the stench of history that is descending on other members of the GOP, who refuse to admit that Trump is a clear and present danger to the nation, and clearly guilty of multiple crimes. some bordering if not clearly treason, which now appear to include suborning perjury. What’s her name from Maine might want to have similar thoughts.

37 Likes

Enough with the mock anguish. We all know the only solution that will work at this point…

The senate needs to stand up and exucute their constitutional DUTY and bring the bill they already passed 100-0 to a vote and pass it. If vetoed, override it.

This is their job, this is their sworn duty.

End of discussion.

26 Likes

Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-AK)
Sen. John Cornyn

Unlike the rest of us, GOP Senators are not bystanders in the shutdown. They could force McConnell to take up legislation today to reopen the government. All they literally have to do is pass the same bill that passed back on Dec 19th:

Any interview of a GOP senator should include questioning them why they won’t support the same bill they passed a month ago to reopen the government.

19 Likes

Lawmakers are at the end of the their rope with the prolonged government shutdown, sinking into a miasma of despair as reopening the government seems like an increasingly remote possibility.

Yeah, I can appreciate their frustration. It's tough being confronted with a dilemma totally beyond your control or ability to affect. We should all pray Mitch McConnell's kidnappers release him soon so this can be brought to an end.
17 Likes

‘Foul,’ ‘Glum,’ ‘Like I’m Gonna Strangle You’
Enough quotes from Lindsey Graham. What are the rest of the traitorous GOP saying?

2 Likes

I’ve been depressed while employed.
I’ve been depressed while unemployed.
I prefer being depressed while receiving a paycheck.

14 Likes

Maybe they could ask President Coulter what she will accept?

7 Likes

Democrats are at a loss: they won’t fold on the wall money, and President Donald Trump seems totally dismissive of any other potential face-saving off ramps they would offer, like money for general border security or punting the wall discussion down the field and reopening the government immediately.

That is not “Dems at a loss.” That is “Dems representing the majority of Americans.” That is “Dems beating the ever-lovin’ FUCK out of the repugs.”

21 Likes

I’m not versed in the finer points of Senate rules, specifically those allowing the majority party to force or override their leader as to allowing a vote on a bill. What is the mechanism for that? I’ve found an article claiming to have researched the issue, and it states McConnell has sole and unfettered power to prevent a bill from coming to the floor for a vote, with the only option for overcoming that being his removal from the post of Majority Leader by a vote in the Senate. Which has never happened.

https://www.kiiitv.com/article/news/local/verify/verify-can-senators-remove-mitch-mcconnell-to-reopen-the-government/507-89f1f5b9-db19-4af3-9347-bf38621bda2e

4 Likes

Oh, fuck you, Lisa. I am so sick of you, another phony media-created GOP moderate. You never get eviscerated for your complicity in this. You and the rest of the GOP Senate could end this in 5 minutes, despite Mitch McConnell and Trump. She isn’t even worried about those poor, poor federal workers in Alaska; she’s worried about saving her own ass in the next election and the welfare of the GOP.
Once again, fuck you Lisa Murkowski and the rest of the GOP Senators and representatives who are sucking Trump’s balls and hurting their fellow Americans by keeping this politically engineered shutdown going.

11 Likes

This is what happens to cowards. It’s literally better to die bravely than live like they’re living. If you’ve ever actually felt that, it’s a real form of power. It lets you choose. These people are like beaten dogs.

22 Likes

They can’t pass it if it doesn’t come to the floor for a vote. The House bill needs to be brought to the floor for a vote. Vote it up or down, but vote on it. They’re not doing their job unless they force a vote. If they have to remove McConnell to be able to vote, then that’s what they have to do. They can re-instate him later.

POTUS isn’t the roadblock at this point. Senate is the roadblock.

19 Likes

Hey, it’s Politico, Tiger-Beat-On-The-Potomac (H/T: Charles Pierce, Esquire). As always, they will do anything to make the GOP look better than they could ever be - by trying to make the Dems look worse, of course.

And how clueless of a political journalist would you have to be to say “Dems are at a loss”? GOP members are probably afraid to walk down the street since they are so despised because of their actions concerning the shutdown, but Democrats are “at a loss”

10 Likes

Then that’s what has to happen. Every senator who’s not pushing for that is to blame for the current situation. Every senator who’s not pushing for that is failing to do her/his job.

8 Likes

This is on the gop who cares if trump is onboard if you have a veto proof majority supporting the bill then what trump says or does won’t matter

4 Likes

Majority Leaders in the Senate do not get removed by their caucus unless they’re caught raping pre-teen boys in the Senate cloakroom.

2 Likes

Tim Kaine tried to force something yesterday and McConnell stopped him. He and everyone else needs to follow his lead and keep trying?

Murkowski could do something if she really wanted to. She is her own brand, she has won as a write in Independent, and has plenty of time to explain her actions to Alaskans before she has to run again.

I think it is time for the commercial airline pilots to refuse to fly. They can say because it’s true, that their safety, passengers safety and planes safety are at risk with stressed TSA and ATC workers worried about things other than the work at hand. The Republicans would notice if their donors can’t take their trips. Right?

6 Likes

They can re-instate him afterwards.

Rich folks can always fly by private plane (owned or chartered). :wink:

But the pressure does need to be on the Senate and everyone, regardless of politics, should be pushing for the Senate to vote.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available