Discussion: Feinstein Slams Grassley For Only Allowing 2 Witnesses At Hearing On Sexual Assault Allegation

1 Like

ā€œChairman Grassley today said there would be only two witnesses invited to testify at the Kavanaugh hearing next week on sexual assault allegations. Compare that to the 22 witnesses at the 1991 Anita Hill hearing and itā€™s impossible to take this process seriously,ā€ she said in a statement.

I hope Senator Feinstein isnā€™t suggesting that the snow job the Senate did on Anita Hill and the American people should be taken seriously.

5 Likes

Letā€™s see how long Grassley can hold the line. If there are only 2 witnesses, then the fix is (still) in and he is merely giving Collins & Murkowski cover for voting to confirm. If Collins or Murkowski are serious about the issue, more witnesses will be added.

Of course, we shouldnā€™t only be looking at Collins and Murkowski. Sadly, we live in 2018 and no Republican men are willing to stand up for sexual assault victims.

15 Likes

a show of force from the me Too and Resistance movements necessary and NOW!

3 Likes

Grassley can and should be pressured - relentlessly - on this. He and Orrin Hatch were part of the hit squad that went after Anita Hill. They should be reminded constantly of their appalling behavior in that hearing. Grassley, Hatch and their GOP colleagues should be pilloried for failing to handle this development fairly and responsibly. They should be reminded that their reckless, half-baked rush to judgment will stain Judge Kavanaugh (and them) for the balance of their careers.
Grassley cares about his legacy. If the Dem minority humiliates and badgers him sufficiently, he may cave. And thereā€™s nothing to lose in trying.

13 Likes

These goddam criminals- the #RepublicanCrimeSyndicate- are operating in the glare; we all see what theyā€™re doing. We all KNOW what theyā€™re doing. They dug themselves in, know what they are guilty of, and will do ANY & EVERYTHING to not go down for their treason, corruption, lies. We The Voters, in conjunction with Mueller&Co must take down this illegitimate #COUP of an extraordinarily rotten minority.

2 Likes

Yes. But itā€™s not just how many witnesses Grassley allows. The Rs have to allow (i.e., request) that the FBI investigate. This request is supposed to come from the WH, which doesnā€™t want to do it. I heard last night on MSNBC that a request from Grassley would be honored, i.e., the FBI would investigate, even though it should come from Trump. In any case, relentless pressure should be brought immediately to force a full investigation.

5 Likes

Grassleyā€™s takeaway from the Anita Hill hearing seems to be that it was unfairly skewed in her favor.

6 Likes

For now, the press should be interviewing everyone from Kavenaghā€™s high school days, among others. Thereā€™s a scoop there, very probably. Also, one needs to try to learn if anyone is being paid off to be silent.

3 Likes

Yes, but Grassley and the others know well that how they handle this could fester until the Senate majority is in the Demā€™s hands, which is bound to happen eventually while Kavanagh would be on SCOTUS. If thereā€™s anything there, it will eventually come out, and impeachment will follow. The long term implications are very important, and unusual.

3 Likes

Chairman Grassley today said there would be only two witnesses invited to testify at the Kavanaugh hearing next week on sexual assault allegations. Compare that to the 22 witnesses at the 1991 Anita Hill hearing and itā€™s impossible to take this process seriously,

Mrs Feinstein is confusedā€¦ she seems to think that this hearing is some sort of truth seeking exercise. Clearly, it is not. Grassley and McConnell are only doing this because they have a gun to their head. This is the minimum that they think they can get away with. If their plan plays out they hope that the country dismisses the whole ā€˜tempest in a teapotā€™ to a ā€œhe said, she saidā€.

If McConnell & Grassley insist on this then Ms Katz should immediately get with 60 Minutes to get her interview in the can so that it can run on this coming Sunday night. ā€“ If the republicans control the format of the hearings Mrs Ford is going to need much more face time with the American people to make her point and gain their trustā€¦ cuz the hearts and minds that she will need to win over are not those in the committee room. And secondly, the Dems on the committee need to swallow their pride and repress their need to seek out the spotlight and turn over all of their time to Kamala Harris. She has shown herself to be a master at doing this stuff and it is obvious that she can, unlike any other, get under Kavanaughā€™s skin. She seems to have an ability to bring out the weasel face in him.

Late Edit: Google is not being my friend right now so I canā€™t prove it butā€¦ I seem to recall that for a significant part of the 3 day Thomas hearing that Senator Specter was given a huge block of time with which to eviscerate Ms Hill.

3 Likes

Every Democratic senator should make note of the absence of Mark Judge during their time questioning Kavanaugh. They should point out that by withholding his testimony it lends more credence to the accused. He was thereā€¦ he knows it happendā€¦ so of course we canā€™t have him testify

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available