Discussion: Evangelical Group's Plan To Convert Children Upsets Secular Portland

See how the virus wants to spread itself?

3 Likes

or, in the case of atheists or agnostics - non-words.

1 Like

"Christianity: The belief that some Jewish zombie can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him that you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil source from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

Makes perfect sense."

21 Likes

Playground madrasas by the christian taliban.

17 Likes

ā€œā€¦Oregon is among the least religious states in the countryā€¦ā€
and the author of the article could have added: ā€œā€¦among the most progressive and accepting of people of all religions or with no religious affiliation at all.ā€

Good News Club: ā€œAnd when weā€™re through with them, whether their parents like it or not, theyā€™re ALLgonnaā€™ be as loving and compassionate as a Mississippi Tea Party TEAlibangelical. Praise Juuuuuuā€¦eeeeeeā€¦zusā€¦uh!ā€

3 Likes

ā€œMy heart was dark with sin,ā€ they sang, ā€œuntil the savior came in.ā€ Catchy and charming, especially for those 5 year olds.

I can also imagine this scene:

Mom - Hi Janie, how was your afternoon in the park.
Janie - Mom, it was great, we got to sing songs.
Mom - Why, thatā€™s wonderful.
Janie - And you know what, Iā€™m going to Heaven and you and Daddy are going to Hell.
Mom - Why Janie, what does that mean?
Janie - Well, arenā€™t you and Daddy fornicators?
Mom - Who told you this?
Janie - The nice Church Lady? Then we had cookies.

10 Likes

ā€œChildren are so easy to manipulate. But of course what weā€™re doing isnā€™t manipulation.ā€

Uh huh. Thatā€™s what NAMBLA says too.

8 Likes

Sounds like a skit from ā€œPortlandiaā€.

3 Likes

Just downright creepy, going straight after the kids.

And desperate.

6 Likes

Iā€™m not defending Christianity. For Chrissakes, no. But there ARE Chrisitians who donā€™t believe in eternal hell. There are Christians who believe that all souls reach Heaven eventually.

They are called Universalists.

Again, NOT defending American Christianity.

ā€œI donā€™t need faith. I have experience.ā€

- Joseph Campbell
2 Likes

Good News Club at the playground: "Hi little boys and girls! I want to share with you the love and compassion of the ONLY true Godā€¦mine! A great preacher named Edwards once put it this way:

O sinner! consider the fearful danger you are in! It is a great furnace of wrath, a wide and bottomless pit, full of the fire of wrath that you are held over in the hand of that God whose wrath is provoked and incensed as much against you as against many of the damned in hell. You hang by a slender thread, with the flames of Divine wrath flashing about it, and ready every moment to singe it and burn it asunder. . . .
It would be dreadful to suffer this fierceness and wrath of Almighty God one moment; but you must suffer it to all eternity. There will be no end to this exquisite, horrible misery.

Isnā€™t Gawwdā€™ good kiddies!Ā  Now convert, accept or burn in hell!
Havaā€™ good day!Ā  Iā€™m so glad to share the Good News and Gawwdā€™s love with you.Ā  Buh bye now!"

Come to think of it, there was a time when most of the Western World believed in God and the church ruled supreme; it was called The Dark Ages.

6 Likes

Have kids, do you?

If you do, and this isnā€™t news to you, then I donā€™t know what.

2 Likes

ā€œChildren are easy to manipulate, we all know that,ā€ā€¦ So stop doing it.

5 Likes

Not my kid. Sheā€™s 8 and she doesnā€™t suffer fools, and she has a wicked justice-detector.

and she already uses it to protect younger kids.

1 Like

It is sad how our preconceived oppinions cause us to read what is not there. According to the article the woman said she raised a free thinker and her child was reacting to the situation by arguing with his peers about what they were being told by this group.

4 Likes

What is it you are doing then?

ā€œTo terrify children with the image of hell, to consider women an inferior creationā€”is that good for the world?ā€

ā€• Christopher Hitchens

6 Likes

Um, I donā€™t understand the question. You mean doing with my kids?

Allowing them to be human beings first. Not brain-washing them to any particular religion or sect. Answering their questions about Jesus etc., honestly, from my own viewpoint. And showing them things that other people believe.

My daughter wanted to go to Sunday School. I took her. We talked about what they told her there. She went for about 6 weeks. Then she stopped wanting to go. And I havenā€™t said a word about it since.

My parents DRAGGED me to Church. As soon as I reached (as George Carlin said) ā€œthe age of reasonā€ I stopped going. And i searched on my own time, on my own dime, and found my own way.

When my 8-year-old is mature enough, I will introduce her to all of the great teachers of humankind. Both religious and secular. For her, I think this will be about age 12 or 13. Sheā€™s a good kid, She has compassion and empathy without having to have it drilled into her by a church.

Listen, iā€™ve worked at a church for 16 years now. Iā€™ve seen how the sausage is made. Iā€™m VERY skeptical that there is much worth any more in organized religion.

3 Likes

Maybe we could all return the favor? Maybe a group of LGBT handing out info and speaking to their kids at parks and pools about how itā€™s okay to be yourself?
An Atheist day block party with some cool secular childrenā€™s games?
Maybe even a Islamic festival with rides and games and some nice literature.

See how they like it, of course we wonā€™t use any schemes or high pressure tactics ā€¦

7 Likes

Alyosha, justamakanikā€™s original post was not in reply to you, you two appear to be on the same side.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available