Discussion: Evangelical Group's Plan To Convert Children Upsets Secular Portland

Two groups, one asking to keep an open mind, the other asserting that you are going to hell unless you believe as they do.

Why is the later group running the country?

15 Likes

George Carlin nailed it years ago: “Religion has convinced people that there’s an invisible man … living in the sky. Who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn’t want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer, and suffer, and burn, and scream, until the end of time…But he loves you.
He loves you. He loves you…and he needs money.”

45 Likes

I would stand my ground if they come after my kid’s soul.

16 Likes

Millennials, or those born in or after the early 1980s, are the least religious generation in U.S. history

There is still hope for the future…

20 Likes

The way I see it is that the problem with these modern Cristians is that the Romans didn’t manage to throw the whole damn lot of them to the lions when they had the chance.

Perhaps I’m exaggerating because what Christ apparently said really leads to a peaceful life, but that’s not what these Evangelicals are about at all and they should not be allowed to peddle their noxious fairy tales to impressionable babies. Look around the world and you’ll soon see that religion is the problem. I was a fellow traveller with these same evangelicals for a couple of years in my tender youth before I came to my senses and abandoned that extreme delusion. Their fundamental belief insists that moral behavior can only be enforced by the fear of God’s retribution for “sin.” I asked myself can a moral life be generated out of fear? Clearly the answer is no, even the worthy philosopher Jesus Christ said to love your neighbor as yourself and God with your heart, mind, and soul. That means to love whoever your neighbors are, wherever you find them, and love whatever that makes you into a decent human being. Love being the operant word here. So I think Jesus was trying to tell everybody that a moral life has to be built on love. The fear mongering evangelicals have it 180° flipped which makes them anti, whoa these guys are the anti-Christ, and believe me they are absolutely full of themselvs and their righteousness. They would like to make America into a theocracy for the glory of the Dominionist cause. We better hope to hell there’s little chance they’ll ever get that far.

11 Likes

beat me to it +1

1 Like

Telling a child they will suffer eternal flames and damnation - what a bunch of sick crackpots. What parent would allow their child near such people, I surly wouldn’t.

9 Likes

Just glad my kid found both religion and disney absurd. I feel like I’ve already won.

19 Likes

Two groups exercising their First Amend rights. Why is this news?

Can you imagine if a Muslim group, or gasp!, an atheist group, gathered children, as young as 5, in a public park, to spread their word?

16 Likes

Add in the right wing pulpit pimps and priests. They dumb down everyone 24/7.

5 Likes

Sure.

See how the virus wants to spread itself?

3 Likes

or, in the case of atheists or agnostics - non-words.

1 Like

"Christianity: The belief that some Jewish zombie can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him that you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil source from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

Makes perfect sense."

21 Likes

Playground madrasas by the christian taliban.

17 Likes

…Oregon is among the least religious states in the country…
and the author of the article could have added: “…among the most progressive and accepting of people of all religions or with no religious affiliation at all.”

Good News Club: “And when we’re through with them, whether their parents like it or not, they’re ALLgonna’ be as loving and compassionate as a Mississippi Tea Party TEAlibangelical. Praise Juuuuuu…eeeeee…zus…uh!”

3 Likes

“My heart was dark with sin,” they sang, “until the savior came in.” Catchy and charming, especially for those 5 year olds.

I can also imagine this scene:

Mom - Hi Janie, how was your afternoon in the park.
Janie - Mom, it was great, we got to sing songs.
Mom - Why, that’s wonderful.
Janie - And you know what, I’m going to Heaven and you and Daddy are going to Hell.
Mom - Why Janie, what does that mean?
Janie - Well, aren’t you and Daddy fornicators?
Mom - Who told you this?
Janie - The nice Church Lady? Then we had cookies.

10 Likes

“Children are so easy to manipulate. But of course what we’re doing isn’t manipulation.”

Uh huh. That’s what NAMBLA says too.

8 Likes

Sounds like a skit from “Portlandia”.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available