Discussion: Elizabeth Warren Says She's 'Troubled' By Reports Of Obama's $400K Speaking Fee

Hear hear!

5 Likes

Love the scene where he unchains the dragons.

The likelihood that most if not all of this money is going to wind up in the foundation to be used for a variety of democratic endeavors is pretty high IMO. Which is another reason why all this handwringing is total bullshit for the cameras.

Iā€™m so done with the purity fucks. They all need to fall in the same hole with the GOP.

9 Likes

Consider it payment for services rendered. Obama really did help out Wall Street during his administration. Also, it sends a hell of a message to current and future office holders, at what awaits them if they toe the line.

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m thinking.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll just add: sheā€™s ā€œtroubledā€?

Yes, well Iā€™m ā€œtroubledā€ that Senator Warren was a registered Republican and supported them up until the last 18 years of her life so far. And yet I can separate that concern from the actual facts of how she performs her duties and job as an elected official versus a private citizen (which she was for a good chunk of that time).

SEE HOW EASY THAT IS, LIZ?

6 Likes

You state the obvious. More power to O if he can now benefit from the free market as long as he is not in a position of power from which he could offer a quid for than quo. Now if you can point out something President Obama did to benefit Cantor Fitzgerald specifically rather than being tough on Wall Street generally, I would agree with Senator Warren.

2 Likes

What happened to the lawn mower?

1 Like

It makes Obama look bad. It made the Clintons look bad too.

1 Like

Because none of these same people raised a god damn finger to write or blog about any past President pulling bank from any number of sources for speaking fees in their post-presidency lives. Nope, only this one.

So much injustice! So much umbrage! And whatā€™s the Black Man to do? He needs our support, must protect him from the purists!

Hey sweetheart, maybe, just maybe why heā€™s being ā€˜singled outā€™ has nothing to do with his color, but has everything to do with him refusing to prosecute anyone involved in the greatest financial fraud in American history. Try that line of thinking before crying about the purists.

1 Like

He is earning a living outside a position of power. He is no longer in a position to effect governmental policy one way or another. Let the market decide how much his speech is worth. It is neither good nor bad to take money to give a speech as long as it is not a gift for some governmental benefit proffered.

3 Likes

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) said Thursday that she is ā€œtroubledā€ by reports that former President Barack Obama agreed to speak for $400,000 at a conference run by an investment bank.

Sorry Senator. Iā€™m not. And in case you are wondering, Obama has left his last election behind. It happened about four years agoā€¦

2 Likes

It is not up to the President who the AG indicts.

Everything was absolutely as shady as fuck, but if laws were broken, bring some evidence. They walked a razorā€™s edge and then the bottom fell out and Obamaā€™s first responsibility was to get this economy back on safe footing. He did that and also helped stabilize the worldā€™s markets that crashed.

But the President does not prosecute anyone. That is not on Obama.

8 Likes

Private Citizen Obama doesnā€™t owe any of us a fucking thing, INCLUDING an explanation of where/why/how he is earning his private citizen money and what he is going to do with it.

How 'bout the 20,000,000 displaced Americans who were foreclosed on? Does he owe them an explanation when he did nothing to help them? Huh? You there Mountie?

1 Like

I am with her. I donā€™t think Obama is evil for doing this, but the system takes ā€œregularā€ people away from reality. How can they ever come back after living in a world of private planes, fancy dinner and galas, and 400K speaking engagements? HRC talked about how she was a bit detached from the life of the average person. This is what makes that happen. Each little loophole that allows Congress Critters to go on junkets, the Supreme Court to go hunting with rich guys, etc., is just another reason they lose touch with the majority of the people they are supposed to serve.

I think Obama got that to a certain extent when he limited what kind of jobs staff could take after leaving. The system is corrupt and corrupting and only lots of laws and limits will keep it from being that way.

3 Likes

Who was the perfect president, who made decisions that were accepted by one and by all? Which presidents never had a bit of humbleness over paths taken to discover they chose poorly. We have had this one president, now nested between Bush and the current occupant of the position and people want to lambast him? I am not rosy eyed over the man, he made mistakes and had faults, but pull out the scale and balance the decisions of Bush and now Trump over Obamaā€™s. Maybe we can put it to the test of which of those three left us most sleepless at night.

2 Likes

So he left that in Holderā€™s hands to do or not to do what he thought was right? You could probably run that by me if I was a college junior but something tells me you know better. Obama and Holder decided not to do anything as he had bigger priorities. That may have been the conversation but it ludicrous to think they couldnā€™t take on both at the same time.

1 Like

No you are being silly. That is how it works because otherwise the President could use the AG and the DOJ as his own personal get even machine.

You really donā€™t understand the way our government works when it works correctly. The President does not tell the AG who to investigate or indict. That is solely up to the AG.

Thatā€™s the Constitution, not some bullshit.

7 Likes

Ugh, I donā€™t really give a damn what this person thinks. But she certainly is holding up the Democratic tradition of stabbing its own members in the back and undercutting them as well for added delight.

You have a political party, the Republican Party, that is absolutely the embodiment of evil and depravity, but you and others want to hang your hats on a holier-than-thou attitude with far more vigor and passion than what is confronting you. On a daily basis.

Why is it that liberals are quick to point out GOP distractions but ignore one of their own?

5 Likes

I love me my Elizabeth Warren, but that is absolute hooey. Why on earth should President Obama not be paid $400,000, or whatever the market will bear, for speaking? Itā€™s not like heā€™s president anymoreā€“heā€™s not bribable. If people want to pay him 400 grand so the hell what? This kind of concern-trolling makes my teeth hurt.

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available