Discussion: Editor Asks Forgiveness For 'Dumbest Thing' She's Ever Done

Your concern is duly noted. Now please lighten up, you are damaging your pearls.

2 Likes

Colgate makes one. For the kids.
Horrible tasting too.

You assume a great deal unless you’re speaking generally. I was specifically replying to MattinPA’s question, nothing else.

I often use Yiddish descriptors because they are pungent, clever, and unlike anything available in English.
That the person I use those words to describe might be Jewish is immaterial.
This may be just such a case.

1 Like

Don’t sell yourself short Rachelle, I’m sure you can top it.

1 Like

On the night in question — the night the cartoon appeared on a page proof, the proof was not left in the proper bin. No senior news editor ever saw it.

This ranks right up there with “the dog ate my homework.”

1 Like

And why is he in the bathroom with a white whose setting in a tub? This is just disgusting.

Also not recommended: reading the comments in a Politico article that discusses immigration reform.

How the hell someone can reach adulthood and still blame the damn dog for eating their homework is beyond me.

I thought that happened at some point in all marriages.

1 Like

That is W in the tub. How do you think he knew Tony Blair used the same kind of toothpaste as he did? I’ll never forget Blair’s quip, “I don’t know how he knows that,” said of Bush at their joint presser.

If the guy in the tub had just said “wintergreen” or any other flavor, it would have been pretty funny - and a well-deserved jab at the Secret Service.

1 Like

Yes, you missed it. Jews aren’t off limits to political satire or scrutiny are they, even if you are in a defensive posture. I see now why you defend the cartoon.

I went after the cartoon before I knew anything about the personnel involved. Anyone ignorant to the point of not knowing the connections to racist connations to darkies and tooth paste and watermelons should stay in their polite conversation circles or church service.

I fear the übermenschen more than I do the single cells.

“Colgate to Rename a Toothpaste
By DOUGLAS C. McGILL
Published: January 27, 1989
After more than three years of pressure from shareholders, religious groups and blacks, the Colgate-Palmolive Company announced yesterday that it would rename Darkie, a popular toothpaste that it sells in Asia, and redesign its logotype, a minstrel in blackface.”

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/01/27/business/colgate-to-rename-a-toothpaste.html

Obviously you and I know the long history of toothpaste and watermelons in the theatre of racism. Colgate has indeed pushed back into the market with a 2 in 1 kids mouthwash and toothpaste in watermelon flavor. Given their past I guess it was irresistble.

Colgate 2 in 1 Toothpaste & Mouthwash: Watermelon 4.6 o

1 Like

Has the cartoonist (Holbert) ever given an actual explanation for the cartoon, what he was aiming for? Maybe in his own words it would make some sort of sense. The article mentioned something about “media appearances” but I don’t remember seeing them.

She is apologizing that the cartoon “has proven hurtful to so many people” – her colleagues at the Boston Herald!! She is not apologizing to the black targets of the cartoon, nor the black-person-in-chief!!

Herzlich, mein tuches!!

She asked for “forgiveness” from her “blameless” colleagues at the Boston Herald “who were hurt” by negative criticism by thoughtless, hurtful people in the general public. She did not apologize to anyone offended by the implied racism of the cartoon. That’s why it is still posted as a slap in the face!

1 Like

Don’t attribute to incompetence what can be explained by malice.

The honorable thing for the editor to do in this case would be to immediately resign. Apparently Rachelle Cohen doesn’t feel all that responsible for the dumbest thing she’s ever done. And, apparently, firing her was simply out of the question. I think I may barf. Again.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available