Discussion: Don't Assume Conservative Defections Will Sink Senate TrumpCare Bill

I would like to thank the Republican Party for proving me right on everything I’ve ever believed about them.

7 Likes

No.

2 Likes

Agree, but I would say that their only unifying principle is to their donors. Right now they want tax cuts, so that’s what they’ll get.

3 Likes

So right. The outrages of Trump made clear that their goose was cooked. Republicans long-term hold on all 3 branches in doubt, so this now is just bald opportunism with no concern for appearances, reelection, compassion. They’ll spin that all later. I promise you that they will find a winning narrative to make this the Dems’ fault. As in, “Obamacare was crashing, Dems didn’t help us try to save it, so we had to take the $$$ from somewhere.” No shame. PS – DJT just tweeted, “remember, Obamacare is dead.” So it has begun.

2 Likes

Third parties are going after Tammy Baldwin now.

Citizens United is working its cancer through the system.

5 Likes

I seem to recall a lot of Obamacare protesters arriving in wheelchairs, oxygen tanks and walkers. Wonder how many were on government assistance.

1 Like

Of course it won’t.

key point is that reconciliation rules mandate that there is no limit to the number of amendments that can be offered.

Which is why the Democrats have to be ready to scuttle the entire thing in reconciliation by having 40k amendments in the can and ready to go, to literally run out the clock on this Congress.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure that they all want to be reelected, as well. So that’s unifying principle #2. We need to see how this all plays out in the press and in constituent relations, in the coming week. And, frankly, we need to do everything in our power to drive a catastrophic, negative constituent reaction.

1 Like

Why do they hate America? The ACA is far from “failing,” but their answer is to destroy it and start from square one. I sure hope Chuck Schumer is ready to fight this crap to the end.

2 Likes

Indeed. And notice: “will mostly benefit the wealthy and young adults.” This is partly them making a play for the youth and millennial voters who they’ve lost so horribly with the past several elections cycles.

2 Likes

Bye beej

Here is what worries me, in addition to the misery and death and economic upheaval this would cause:

McTurtle can read polls. He’s evil but not stupid. He knows this is massively unpopular, and that something this big and this hated would cause an electoral wipeout for the party who passes it. Yet he seems to be not worried, about '18, or 20, or 22. Why not? Has Russia fixed our elections permanently?

5 Likes

So, the bottom line is this:

If you lose your job, you will (a) have to pay the full cost of health insurance while you’re unemployed and trying to hold on to a place to live, or (b) your family goes without insurance, and you pay the full mark-up cost for any and all care you or your family member might need.

It wasn’t that way under Obamacare.

It’s inexplicable that these Republican bureaucrats in Congress are congratulating themselves.

3 Likes

Also realize, that along with PP funding, they are also allowing insurance companies to disregard offering pre-natal and maternity coverage under the policies written should the AHCA be passed and written into law.

Think on that, and if you really want to send your blood pressure into the stratosphere, a little talked about part of the bill also allows insurance companies to deduct executive salaries over $500k.

2 Likes

Americans will be begging democrats to take congress back and to pass real universal healthcare. Insurance companies, doctors, pharmaceutical companies who are saying nothing are going to wish they demanded to keep Obamacare when Medicare for all is passed in 2021.

It’s going to be a knock-down drag-out fight between Republicans who want to kill more people, and those who want to kill fewer.

O/t

Does anyone have an extra score card?

@Chelsea530

@geofu54

@littlegirlblue

@tena

@clare

@irasdad

@squirreltown

@antisachetdethe

@katscherger

@spencersmom

@beattycat

@clunkertruck

11 Likes

Ruh-roh…

5 Likes
8 Likes

I shouldn’t take any pleasure in folks getting lawyers, but damn.

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available