Discussion: Dems: Trump Officials Worked With Activists To Target State Dept. Career Staff

Actually her office is a hole in the floor.

2 Likes

They’re trying to recruit Beria to head the investigation into the special counsel’s investigation. Word is he’s been free since 1953.

1 Like

“Newt: I think a cleaning is in order here,” Wurmser wrote,…

I think Wurmser meant “cleansing”.

2 Likes

Why oh why oh WHY do we still have to see, hear, and talk about Newt Gingrich???

3 Likes

It’s about time for him to molt, shed his Callista skin and find a younger hotter model. Oops, I forgot, he’s Catholic now and she’s a Vatican emissary. No can do Newt.

1 Like

There’s a problem with ignoring the well known names for the next election. What you call fossils may be household words. No “celebrity” IMO should be on the ticket. (Oprah, Mark Cuban before his troubles etc. ) However, it will be important that the Democratic candidate is a household word – in the same way that donald is. It isn’t the time for a "dark horse"candidate.

Of the many rising stars currently in our government: Kamala Harris, for example, or Eric Swalwell and a number of others, only people who pay close attention to politics really know them. The 2020 candidate needs to be a well known name, it needs to be someone with VAST experience in government – (heaven forbid a “career politician” no less), probably a male, and it needs to be someone who can laugh at donald.

Unless donald decides he wants out and steps down and the GOP candidate is Pence. Then the field could be more open.

One thing that was decisive in the 2016 election was voter turnout was it 58% of eligible voters - and that was considered good. What if a few more voters, 2%, say, had gone to the polls? (A million what ifs?) – The majority of voters prefer to “sit it out” if the election is particularly ugly. IMO, donald wanted it to be as ugly as possible, and IMO succeeded. I’ve never seen a nastier election. If donald runs it will be another ugly election.
This is from 2016:
“With the presidential election results now certified in all 50 states and Washington, D.C., Hillary Clinton won a total of 65,844,610 votes ― 48.2 percent ― compared with Trump’s 62,979,636 votes ― 46.1 percent ― according to David Wasserman of the nonpartisan Cook Political Report.Dec 20, 2016”

It’s still my belief that donald’s election was a black swan event - aided by disinformation, third party candidates vote dilution, media’s endless unfiltered coverage of donald, gerrymandering and voter suppression in both the intended way, and in the advertisements that donald’s militia gun carriers were going to supervise the polling places, and by the pundits predicting a more than 90% chance that Hillary was going to win. If she was a sure win, why go to vote and have to walk past donald’s militia? Like this picture of “Virginia Trump supporter patrols polling place with a gun and cops say they are ok with that” - (from Google).

With the recent cabinet shake up, and the crazy oval office occupant, it could be that the country is in yet another war by the time the next election rolls around. As unfathomable as that is – looking back over the last few years a large number of unfathomable things have occurred.

There have been so many failures on the part of congress that it would appear that donald has zero checks and balances.

Bottom line - which 2020 democratic candidate is going to be considered equal to a completely unchecked, unchallenged POTUS?

2 Likes

Does the former House speaker Newt Gingrich have the right to insert himself into the workings of the State Department?
This is akin to Dennis Hastert calling the shots at the FBI financial and child abuse units.

1 Like

So you think there should be no such thing as corporations?

2 Likes

If you’ve got an idea of what better people could win in Montana, South Dakota, Missouri, and Indiana, we’re all ears (personally I think going against bank deregulation would play well in all those places, but you get the whole person). In the meantime, yes, vote for the Democrats and quit whining. Every solidly blue state Dem voted against it.

3 Likes

Newt, like Rove, like Lee Atwater…dangerous, traitorous, and just don’t care.

1 Like

I wonder if Lil’ Snooty Ex-Squeaker Newty ever stops to think about what’s going to happen to him and to his “legacy” after this mess of yo-yo’s he kowtows to are swept out of power?
Probably not.
I think he’s going to wind up on History’s short list, along with nice people like Rodger B Taney, Clement Vallandigham, and John C Calhoun.

The GOP adheres to Karl Rove’s dream of a permanent one party state.

1 Like

Oh no, he’s still for sale, he’ll always be for sale.

He doesn’t need to start another party, he just puts money under the table to leftish third parties which siphons votes away from the Dems. They did it in 2000 with Ralph Nader, they’ll do it again. Watergate only taught them to be more clever and brazen in their attempt to turn this country into a one party state.

1 Like

Doing so would interfere with their lust for power.

There have been many news articles about the number of long term career State Department professionals who have left since Donald Trump became President. What is ironic to me is that when two White House staff members, who had only been employed there for about a year, had to leave because their WIFE BEATING Habit became documented by the Press, our Quisling President lamented about their careers and lives being “destroyed.” However, Donald Trump, Newt Gingrich and the whole US Conservative movement are true sociopaths who feel absolutely no empathy with or compunction about destroying careers of dedicated people who, from college, pursued the dream of serving US Diplomacy at State.

3 Likes

I dunno.

Maybe we haven’t completed the banishing ritual yet. You know, like we missed the cleansing by fire part or something.

It’s happening to professional staff in the states, too. A repug legislator here in Kentucky filed a bill to eliminate our civil service protections. He withdrew it after an uproar against going back to the old patronage system in which every four years, the new governor would literally fire every state employee and fill the jobs with his family, cronies and campaign contributors. It was unmitigated chaos, which is why we finally got civil service protections in 1966.

But that’s what repugs want: constant chaos to prevent public servants from doing our jobs to help all Kentuckians.

1 Like

Normally, I would agree, since these guys are blatantly engaging in prohibited personnel practices- but these days, I feel a lot less confident, especially when the MSPB doesn’t have a quorum, and the kind of people Trump is likely to put on there would seem unlikely to be bothered. Heck, the fool calls it conditional career when everybody knows it is career conditional, doh!

1 Like

I see what you did there.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available