Discussion: Dems: Trump Officials Worked With Activists To Target State Dept. Career Staff

So you think there should be no such thing as corporations?

2 Likes

If you’ve got an idea of what better people could win in Montana, South Dakota, Missouri, and Indiana, we’re all ears (personally I think going against bank deregulation would play well in all those places, but you get the whole person). In the meantime, yes, vote for the Democrats and quit whining. Every solidly blue state Dem voted against it.

3 Likes

Newt, like Rove, like Lee Atwater…dangerous, traitorous, and just don’t care.

1 Like

I wonder if Lil’ Snooty Ex-Squeaker Newty ever stops to think about what’s going to happen to him and to his “legacy” after this mess of yo-yo’s he kowtows to are swept out of power?
Probably not.
I think he’s going to wind up on History’s short list, along with nice people like Rodger B Taney, Clement Vallandigham, and John C Calhoun.

The GOP adheres to Karl Rove’s dream of a permanent one party state.

1 Like

Oh no, he’s still for sale, he’ll always be for sale.

He doesn’t need to start another party, he just puts money under the table to leftish third parties which siphons votes away from the Dems. They did it in 2000 with Ralph Nader, they’ll do it again. Watergate only taught them to be more clever and brazen in their attempt to turn this country into a one party state.

1 Like

Doing so would interfere with their lust for power.

There have been many news articles about the number of long term career State Department professionals who have left since Donald Trump became President. What is ironic to me is that when two White House staff members, who had only been employed there for about a year, had to leave because their WIFE BEATING Habit became documented by the Press, our Quisling President lamented about their careers and lives being “destroyed.” However, Donald Trump, Newt Gingrich and the whole US Conservative movement are true sociopaths who feel absolutely no empathy with or compunction about destroying careers of dedicated people who, from college, pursued the dream of serving US Diplomacy at State.

3 Likes

I dunno.

Maybe we haven’t completed the banishing ritual yet. You know, like we missed the cleansing by fire part or something.

It’s happening to professional staff in the states, too. A repug legislator here in Kentucky filed a bill to eliminate our civil service protections. He withdrew it after an uproar against going back to the old patronage system in which every four years, the new governor would literally fire every state employee and fill the jobs with his family, cronies and campaign contributors. It was unmitigated chaos, which is why we finally got civil service protections in 1966.

But that’s what repugs want: constant chaos to prevent public servants from doing our jobs to help all Kentuckians.

1 Like

Normally, I would agree, since these guys are blatantly engaging in prohibited personnel practices- but these days, I feel a lot less confident, especially when the MSPB doesn’t have a quorum, and the kind of people Trump is likely to put on there would seem unlikely to be bothered. Heck, the fool calls it conditional career when everybody knows it is career conditional, doh!

1 Like

I see what you did there.

1 Like

Hillary Clinton. Hobbled by many undeserved (and some deserved) wounds, but refusing to accept that her political effectiveness would be severely compromised.

So what’s your point? It’s no surprise the rich and powerful get the perks. It’s also quite realistic to understand that true change involves very small, incremental, circuitous, generational changes. Not big empty promises. Not grand revolutionary schemes. Scornful talk without effective results just wastes opportunities to accomplish the possible.

Well known names like Barack Obama in 2006? The Democrats you want would be well-known names by now had a certain person not insisted on hogging the spotlight for 8 years after being told “No, thank you, we prefer a younger, more dynamic, capable and less compromised candidate” in 2008. A certain person who had the connections and capability, had she chosen to do so, of mentoring and raising the profile of a new generation of leadership. The well-known names are stale and compromised. Inspiring people born in the days of Reagan, Bush and Clinton to vote is the name of the game.

Not really a good comparison. US Attorneys are strictly political appointees and can be fired at will. They are nominated by the president and confirmed by the Senate. Couldn’t be more political. Almost always there’s close to 100% turnover from one Administration to the another. This is totally different from career civil servants hired in the normal course of government employment processes.

True. I was mostly referring to the fact that you CAN fire/replace with your own people but for some reason the GOP has to act like sneaky vengeful aholes when they do it.

so sorry

As usual, Elizabeth Warren is on top of it.

The Ending Too Big to Jail Act creates a permanent law enforcement unit to investigate crimes at financial institutions, requires senior executives at banks with $10 billion or more in assets to certify annually that they have conducted due diligence and found no criminal conduct or civil fraud within the financial institution, and mandates judicial oversight of deferred prosecution agreements (DPAs).

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available