Discussion: Dem Senators Slam Zinke Over ‘Konnichiwa’ Remark: ‘Racism Is Not Ok’

You obviously have not been treated as a foreigner in your own homeland. What a lucky and fortunate life you lead.

Rep. John Lewis, “Sec. Zinke…”
Zinke, (crossing forearms over chest), “Wakamba!”.

It’s also why we win elections: minority voters choose to vote Democratic an astonishingly high percent of the time.

In part, this is a reaction to our calling things like we see them.

That degree of obtuseness is racist.

1 Like

Why did Zinke assume she spoke Japanese, and then use a term that actually wasnt appropriate (grammatically/situational) in context.?? Thats the definition of a prejudicial racist.

Does he speak japanese? Why didnt he greet each of the members in the language of their first generational ancestors??

Fyi, putting dirty change in a person’s hand is considered very rude in some cultures.

I disagree. I think the point made by the JACS rep in the article is spot on: his comment underscores the sentiment that led to the internment camps in the first place, “that Japanese-Americans were and are perpetually foreign”

Rep. Hanabusa is 4th generation Japanese. I’m 4th generation German, but have never had someone randomly greet me in German when just because I’m discussing a German topic. This happens to Japanese-Americans precisely because of race. My mother, who was a teen during WWII and had an obviously German surname, said that she was never picked on for being German, in the middle of the war, whereas a Chinese-American classmate was constantly picked on for being Japanese.

It’s race that perpetuates this perception that Asian-Americans aren’t quite as American, no matter how many generations they’ve been here, where the same assumption is not applied to people of European descent. That’s what makes Zinke’s remark so stunningly inappropriate.

I’m occasionally in a mini mall that gets flooded with kids from the local high school. I see black males with droopy drawers among them. Maybe they didn’t get the msg.

Every time one of these Gonifs around President Frankenputz opens their mouths, they weaken the Nation.
I find the remarks made to be inappropriate and offensive.
First, I read, write and speak Japanese. I have lived and worked in Japan.
One of the first things we learn is that properly spoken Japanese is always respectful.
The “Greeting” used by Zenke-putz lacked appropriate respect for someone who would be considered equal to him in station, and perhaps even superior to him given their venue. His remark was not accompanied by the appropriate tone, nor honorifics for respect and actions which represent proper manners. You should watch what goes on in the Diet as Government ministers speak to their colleagues.
This malformed attempt at humor rather than respect shows us once again the essential nature of the quality of the thieves, thugs, and political hacks in the Cabinet. It is, in fact, snide and back-handed race-baiting of the most dishonorable and scurrilous sort.
Zenke has insulted the Senator, and as much as I tend to be disdainful of much of the phony “pomp and circumstance” of the Senate, I am not at all surprised that no one rebuked him sternly and at once for his reprehensible conduct. Zenke is clearly too ignorant to care, and his ignorance shows.

Fyi. Her language is american english. This is why zincke’s comment, and yours, is racist. Whether or not you agree doesnt change the fact that it is.

When did American culture change to that, because the person in front of me got it their hands- FYI.

No, it’s context.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available