Discussion: Debunked: Kavanaugh Accuser Seeking Revenge For Parents' Foreclosure

Yup, I saw the letter. They really took Yale Law to task.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, although we know the lie has been debunked, it is far too likely that the various blogs promoting it won’t be publishing any corrections. The ‘big lie’ simply gets repeated and repeated until people accept it . Truth has nothing to do with it, as we’ve been reminded again and again and again.

7 Likes

@birdford, I completely agree. If it comes to she said/he said, I believe Christine Ford. I found her allegations credible from the beginning. Kavanaugh has already lied. What does Ford have to gain by making up a false story? Nothing, and she will be viciously attacked by unscrupulous supporters of Kavanaugh. Why would she do that?

3 Likes

Paul Mirengoff opines that “even assuming that, on one occasion, the teenage Kavanaugh, having had too much to drink, engaged in serious misconduct towards this girl, I fail to see why this should bar him from the Supreme Court.”

Why doesn’t that bar him from the court? Oh, that’s right, because Kavanaugh is a reactionary wing-nut who will make all of Mirengoff’s regressive fever-dreams come true, and because Mirengoff is A-OK with sexual assault.

“I don’t assume this occurred, however,” Mirengoff continues. “It seems more likely that Ms. Ford has invented or substantially embellished this story—out of political bias, animus towards the family because of the court case, or both.”

Why does he claim Ford is lying? Because he doesn’t care if it’s a lie or not since, again, he doesn’t care about sexual assault. And he especailly doesn’t care about sexual assault if the GOP can land a wing-nut Supreme Court judge.

If this were a Democratic Supreme Court nominee under discussion, however, Mirengoff would absolutely claim to beleive the Ford accusations (though he still wouldn’t care if they were true, or about sexual assault) and absolutely find them to be disqualifying.

We all already know all of this, of course - I’m just venting.

8 Likes

There was a question about this in Kavanaugh’s hearing, suggesting that the GOP knew this was an issue that could come up. It was Senator Kennedy, I think, who turned it into a “good ole boys” joke rather than asking Kavanaugh a specific question. Kennedy said something like, “Oh, I imagine someone will want to ask you about naughty things you did as a teenager, but we know that’s just silly.” Then all of the men guffawed just like you’d expect - but no direct answer was provided.

7 Likes

I think it was close to $200,000 in debt that suddenly disappeared when Kavanaugh came under consideration for the Supreme Court position. For a man who had only a few bucks to his name to suddenly be able to pay off such a substantial debt raises questions which haven’t been answered.

5 Likes

I thought she took and passed a polygraph. I’ve used them in my practice and they are very reliable. They may not be admissible in Court but they are good enough for law enforcement and major corporations to use all of the time. (Didn’t the WH just threaten to polygraph all of its staff to route out “Anonymous”?) The only people who attack polygraphs as unreliable are people who refuse to take them.

4 Likes

Carrie Severino spokesperson for the Judicial Crisis Network, a political arm of the Federalists Society, is using the Catholic Priest defense for Kavanaugh. “Rough horseplay.”

2 Likes

Every time anyone repeats anything, it is reinforced as a plausible idea or potential “fact”. It’s what we’re seeing now, again. Detailing all this bullshit is an effective hallmark and a tool that the Goobers of Propaganda party dream up and should instead be ignored. Walking us through the twisted illogic and crappy attempts to hide the miserable character of Kavanaugh is not only a waste of our time but also reinforces the opposite of what we know. It is not necessary, it is just plain scientifically wrong, and yet we just can’t help but do it. Some will say, “it’s just that we do it unconsciously”. Exactly! So enlist the conscious and don’t do it.

2 Likes

This particular meme has taken on a life of its own. The amazing thing is it is so easily debunked. All you have to do is read the pleadings and the land records. Her parents were able to refinance and the case was dismissed. No adverse ruling issued. No lost house. No reason for revenge.

8 Likes

HEY! I resemble that remark!

1 Like

I know, right? To us it’s a term of endearment, but to the Trumpies it’s akin to calling someone the Devil Incarnate.

2 Likes

Oy vey Maria. Like she’s been plotting this “revenge” going back to when she told her therapist about it 15 years ago, on the off chance Kavanaugh might one day be nominated to the Supreme Court.

Of course, these are the same people who believed that in 1961 someone planted a fake birth announcement in the Hawaii newspaper in a plot to make a Nigerian-born mixed-race kid named Barack Hussein Obama president 48 years later.

11 Likes

Rough horse play would be when I would beat up my little brother in a pillow fight…

1 Like

Did you see the look on Grassley’s face this morning when a reporter asked whether the committee would ask Kavanaugh to take a polygraph? He so badly wanted to say “hell no, are you insane!” before saying something about how that’s up to Kavanaugh.

2 Likes

While we can’t generally go wrong assuming the worst about any elected or installed republican, I’m not sure that Roberts falls on the side of the president being completely above the law. No, I will not go to the mat for that idea.

1 Like

No doubt the Federalists feel completely blindsided by the empowerment of women to finally speak up and be taken seriously.

It’s everything they were fighting against, and their desperate flailing is the surest sign yet that they still don’t really know what hit them.

4 Likes

Well, no direct question was asked, which is exactly why Kennedy said that. Sure wish that Harris could ask Kennedy about that at the Monday hearing if it happens. Maybe she can work it into a “Judge Kavanaugh, why do you think Sen Kennedy said that during the previous hearing?” question.

2 Likes

The obvious solution is for Trump and his GOP Senate followers to pull Kavanaugh’s nomination and pick a clean candidate like Gorsuch.

I’m not a Republican, but if I were I’d tell them to withdraw Kavanaugh TODAY. Pick another qualified but plain vanilla right winger TOMORROW and proceed. They’re idiots for prolonging this, since it is politically toxic and increases the chance of no Trump appointment to the Court if — admittedly a big if — Democrats win the Senate.

Trump’s stupidity is profound. Thank God.

5 Likes

Demosthenes has an excellent point: Republicans are fools to prolong the exposure of Kavanaugh’s reputation to public scrutiny. Ultimately the more they do so, the worse all of them will look. Unfortunately the public won’t remember how this all devolved; the right-wing blogs will bloviate on how Mr. K. was Borked. I do think the letter from Yale law school students presents the best case against this nomination, and the letter should be widely disseminated.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available